Sea Ox Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Sea Ox Rebuild

Post by piperdown »

I have never experienced blush with marinepoxy. Not saying it couldn't happen but I've never experienced it. Of course it's always been slow hardner in my case. I agree with Fuzz on waiting 4-5 days for full cure, temp dependent. Better safe than sorry. I waited 5 days before using Quik Fair, which is expensive but absolute dream to spread and sand. You wouldn't want to have to sand all that Quik Fair off.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you are going to use MarinEpoxy make sure you only you only use the slow hardener only. Medium and fast have been know to have some blush. Like you SilverTip is expensive but slow will get the job done for you and with summer coming on is probably what you want to be using.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I only use slow Marine Epoxy for everything now. Never blushes, and it matches my speed...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:34 am I only use slow Marine Epoxy for everything now. Never blushes, and it matches my speed...
I find as a single builder; the amount of times I have needed fast epoxy to be few.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Agreed. I use slow for most tasks, occasionally fast for pure bonding/filling situations where speed may help and blush is not a factor.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Ok thanks for the feedback on that. I think I will order the marinepoxy with slow. Had planned on slow anyway to give me a little more time to work. Also it is definitely going to be warmer than Id like in my shop. Will most likely have to work early in the mornings to make sure it's not too hot in there.

Got the rest of the rear section of stringers and most of the foam out this morning. Just have to tackle the transom and start grinding/sanding and hopefully be on to the tunnel install.
20210525_114228.jpg
20210525_114251.jpg
20210525_114304.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Dipper, did you talk with Reid today?? Jeff

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

I did speak with him yesterday morning. I ran the resin calculator and went ahead with my order. Thanks for following up.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Dipper, when you have a minute, give us a call at 772.742.8535. Thank your or your order!!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Make sure to get tabbing tapes.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495