Sea Ox Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Sea Ox Rebuild

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy most good marine suppliers carry 316 hose clamps here is one example, https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/product ... 46527.html Amazon also carries them in different sizes and brands, you just have to search for them the search parameter is: amazon 316 SS hose clamps

Hope this helps you goingbogueoutdoors

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:42 pm fallguy most good marine suppliers carry 316 hose clamps here is one example, https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/product ... 46527.html Amazon also carries them in different sizes and brands, you just have to search for them the search parameter is: amazon 316 SS hose clamps

Hope this helps you goingbogueoutdoors

Tom
Yeah. I know. But when you are ready to clamp stuff; it sucks to order them and wait a week. And the 316 are spendy to supply in house in ten paks..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Thanks guys. Ive been MIA for a bit. Been working out on the lease and doing maintenance on other boats. Fighting the heat in my shop now too.
Thanks for the pic Bogue. Believe Ive seen that location a time or two. Ive been contemplating the amout to raise the deck. Definitely want her to drain but would like to keep the center of G as low as possible. Does his boat drain well at rest?
I was thinking I would have to go 3 inches. My tunnel looks a touch bigger than his, motor should be similar in weight.
The guy that built the tunnel for me said he'd go at least 8 in over the tunnel. He went 5 on his and his feet stay wet with a zuke 150.

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

One other question guys. Im still trying to work out the fuel tank. Thinking of going aluminum but have been reading all kinds of horror stories about tanks failing in a few years due to corrosion. There is a huge debate about different coatings for them and if the coating gets cracks it will hold saltwater against the aluminum.
What is the general consensus on here if I go aluminum for a saltwater boat as far as tank coating? Paint, powder coat, corrosion prohibitive, no coating etc?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'd use coal tar epoxy. Set the tank up on 1/8-1/4" neoprene strips and 5200.

It'll last past you.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dipper there is not a problem with aluminum tanks it is a problem with the grade of aluminum used or the builder or coating, many of the biggest names in boating use aluminum tanks. Here is one builder that a lot of our guys have used https://speedytanks.com/home/ They have various shapes of tanks, just give them your dimesions and they will quote you. There tanks are epoxy coated and meet EPA regulations and will work with you on placement of fittings. They also have an article on in stalling aluminum tanks that I keep on file for anyone that is installing an aluminum tank, best way to do it. The tank will never move.

Well, good luck.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Thanks guys. I would love to check out the article if you have a link.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I pulled two aluminum tanks out of a 40 year old boat last winter just to check them out. They were raw metal and sitting on heavy tar paper. I was amazed how good of shape they are in. I think the secret is they were kept dry and had good ventilation all around them.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dipper wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:09 pm Thanks guys. I would love to check out the article if you have a link.
Just click on the link in my post Dipper if that is the one you are refering to.

Tom