Sea Ox Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Sea Ox Rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have an aluminum tank in good condition. I want to say 52 gallons. From freshwater boat. Not sure what shipping would run.

Any interest let me know and I can send measurements.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Certainly appreciate the offer. I was really hoping to go a little bigger given the runs that Ill be making. I have the 65 gal aluminum tank that came out of her but to my knowledge it is the 42 yr old original. No reason to believe theres anything wrong with it but since Im redoing everything I thought it only prudent to replace it.

Anyone on the east side have any tank suppliers they recommend?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Give Jeff at Boat Builder Central a call. He has a guy he works with. Made a tank for me that has been fantastic. Mine is small compared to what you need but the work was amazing.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

So still on the hunt for a tank. What is everyone's opinion on plastic vs aluminum tanks in the 70 gal size range?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Dipper wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:12 pm So still on the hunt for a tank. What is everyone's opinion on plastic vs aluminum tanks in the 70 gal size range?
Diurnal plastic or diurnal aluminum. Do it right. Charcoal canister. The whole bit.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

At 70gal I would go aluminum. That way you don't have to worry about allowing for expansion that you do for a plastic tank. As fallguy said go all the way carbon canister, and all the other goodies that the rules require. That way you will have the safest system possible as well as meet the EPA specs.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

So other than what comes on a typical tank (fill, outlet, breather), the canister, and an inline separator what other "goodies" do you guys recommend? Anything Im missing?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You will require a special P-type vent see here. https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prod ... rap-vents/

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

goingbogueoutdoors
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by goingbogueoutdoors »

Repied to your PM dipper. I’ll drop this pic on your thread too to let other la see the transom box and deck height raised 1” with a 200 HPDI on jackplate.
1750C002-3748-44AF-B8D2-393AE6826DB1.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

316 grade clamps are a pain to find...might want to order some for saltwater boat