Sea Ox Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Sea Ox Rebuild

Post by Fuzz »

I have the Rockwell also and they seem fine to me. I recently picked up a Dewalt cordless and am pretty happy with it. The cordless is much quieter and it is nice to not be dealing with a power cord. I have a couple other Dewalt cordless tools so I can swith out batteries as needed.
Are you planning on leaving the lip or cutting it off? If cutting it off a cut off wheel on a grinder will do it much faster than the multi-tool. I really like the multi-tool for a lot of uses but they sure go through blades fast. As of now I buy cheap ones from Amazon by the hundred and swap them out often.

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Ill check out the Rockwell. There is a huge jump in price on the fein between the 500 and 700. Goes from about 200 to 500. I do like the 5 degree option on the Rockwell.

I am cutting the lip left from the floor out because I have to raise the floor with the addition of the tunnel to get her to drain and rest. Will try the cuttoff wheel. It was WAY faster on the stringers but I guess you just have to be really careful not to cut into the hull when cutting the lip off?

I am thinking about trying to connect the two sides of the cap along the transom to make one straight piece across like the one in the pic. How difficult do you think this would be and how would you go about it? Guess I would need to make a mold.
Screenshot_20220310-095040_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220310-095030_Facebook.jpg
20220311_222400.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I would build it one off. Fair it to the standard you are wanting. The work to make a mold for one part is rarely worth it.

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

So just hit 60 hrs of grinding/sanding and have burned up a couple tools but getting close to being able to switch to stringers.

The biggest issue has been the roving. All of the stringers were set with roving and most of it did not appear to have fillets. So the problem is that there is air under all of the edges. I am having to grind most of the roving off and areas that are bonded well are having to be ground down significantly due to the depth of the weave and the foam residue down in the weave. There are also places where the roving bridges the chines with nothing underneath.

I am down to the last 4 or 5 feet of the hull so getting close. I do still have to remove the lip left from the deck and sand off the paint up the sides of the hull a bit in prep for the new deck.

I will report back when I get ready to move on to stringers.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

60 hours on a grinder :help: The good news is you will have a good base to work off of.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You must have arms like a body builder by now. :lol: Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

More like jello! So my brand new festool ro150 sander kicked the bucket on me this morning. Their customer service seems pretty good. The guy said they would have it repaired and shipped back within 1 to 3 days of receiving it and all shipping etc is covered. We'll see how it goes.

In the meantime I am kinda dead in the water. I could go back to the angle grinder but being in an inclosed area it makes such a mess that Im not sure its worth it. Would love to get the rest of grinding done before its super hot. It was 72 degrees and sunny on Sat and was over 90 in the shop so Im quickly running out of time.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Work looks great.

What do you have going on the top of the transom?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

On another note I need to get my tank ordered but having trouble finding one.

Ive been looking for the moeller ft7016 70 gal. I can get it from a couple places but right now it's made to order from moeller and Im being told their lead time is 12-14+ weeks.

Any recommendations for sources of tanks? Im in NC but willing to drive or pay for shipping.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220418-083426_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Thanks fallguy. My plan is to build a section to connect both sides of the cap and have it run straight across. There is a pic a few posts back of what Im thinking.

I ran the glass on the inside up and over the core and had it meet up and bond to the outer skin incasing the core. Turned out really solid.