Trent's FS14 LS Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Trent's FS14 LS Build

Post by VT_Jeff »

Not sure if it's an optic illusion but that bow seems to droop some. Is it level with the rest of the sheerline?

Gel magic spot welding in 85 degrees will cure pretty quick but I would personally give it 24 before pulling the stitches.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Jeff - I was just looking at the same thing. Think I might have gotten ahead of myself. Somethings not right I think.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 pm Jeff - I was just looking at the same thing. Think I might have gotten ahead of myself. Somethings not right I think.
Ok. When I say droop, i mean if the boat were right side up, just to make sure we're looking at the same thing. That sheerline appears to dive a bit 12-18 inches from the bow. A photo from the side may help in ascertaining.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

You’re seeing it right. I think I need to step back and check everything, but from what I can see right now, my guess is that I cut the shear line wrong. That baffles me, since I feel like I triple checked all that. One thing is for certain - I screwed something up :doh: I won’t sleep so well tonight.

My light isn’t so good at night - so I’ll post some more pics in the mornings or the world to see “what not to do”.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:06 pm You’re seeing it right. I think I need to step back and check everything, but from what I can see right now, my guess is that I cut the shear line wrong. That baffles me, since I feel like I triple checked all that. One thing is for certain - I screwed something up :doh: I won’t sleep so well tonight.

My light isn’t so good at night - so I’ll post some more pics in the mornings or the world to see “what not to do”.
Dont lose any sleep, its fixable. Worst case, you unzip, scab some meat on those panels and recut. No biggie. May not even take that. All part of the experience.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

If your hull is straight and fair now I might not bother to un zip things. After it is all taped together you can scab some scrapes on the sides and then cut what ever shear line looks good to you. My dory had the drooping nose problem and I fixed it that way. No one has ever said anything about it or maybe even noticed. When I put the rubrails on rather than fight them i let them run high at the bow and just filled in the missing hull sides.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:49 pm If your hull is straight and fair now I might not bother to un zip things. After it is all taped together you can scab some scrapes on the sides and then cut what ever shear line looks good to you. My dory had the drooping nose problem and I fixed it that way. No one has ever said anything about it or maybe even noticed. When I put the rubrails on rather than fight them i let them run high at the bow and just filled in the missing hull sides.

I was thinking this but then had a different thought, unzip, lay the panel down, reglue the off cut, recut. Much easier flat and he hasn't welded yet.

This is a straight sheer Fuzz, I think it's more critical to get it pretty flat. Otherwise the deck will also droop.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Confirmed - The shear line is off. I just need to trim it down - no scabbing required. Biggest question for me right now is, do I unzip it to cut - or - try to cut it in place?

Here is where the error occurred ( and, looking back, Jeff may have warned me of this). As the instructions clearly say, "ALL dimensions are always taken from the base line or centerline". I didn't read the side layout dimensions in that way. I read them as sequential. Therefore my shearline is off by the exact dimension between the baseline and the chine. And here is the real problem - I'm an architect - the building kind, not the naval kind. I would never dimension something in a building this way. I'd give the overall between the shear line and the base line and then the two dimensions between 1) baseline and chine line and 2) the chine line and the shear line. And, as a "hobby" rough carpenter, I'd also give dimensions to the factory edge of the plywood - it's just easier to layout that way. So regardless of how clear the instructions are, I just couldn't get my mind to go there - and I screwed it up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the plans. Like I said, the instructions are clear. It's on me - I didn't follow them.

Relieved to have found the error. What do you all think of trying to cut the shear with the panel in place?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I think Jeff has the best idea. Dropping them now will be a lot easier to cut and if you do both at the same time much better chance for them to match.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:55 pm 10 7/8 + 1 1/2 from the base line, not 10 7/8 from the base line. Should look like an enlargement of the plan, or else something is way off.
Looking back, I think I was wrong about this, very possibly leading to your error. I'd like to think I warned you but fear the opposite is true, I think I misguided you. Let me know if that jives with your impression, and huge apologies.

Def remove before cutting, imo.