Trent's FS14 LS Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Trent's FS14 LS Build

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:48 pm Thanks Guys! Yes, motor took all of 5 seconds to start up.
When I first started my 4 stroke on the water for the first time I held the ignition longer than I needed to because I was used to cranking and cranking and cranking my 2 stroke to get it going. Plus it's so quiet! I love the Yamaha.

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

Wow!!!! Definitely blows away every FS14 built to date, including mine. I love what you did with the small cockpit and large foredeck. Beautiful workmanship, and it seems you've developed a bad case of the boat builder virus. I've built 4 of Jacques boats and currently finishing my second Conchfish 16 by Chris Morejohn. Can't get enough sanding, just love it.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Thanks Mike. Those are some very kind words. I’ve seen your FS is person and studied every photo that you posted. I even borrowed some of your details. Not sure I agree that mine is on par, but thanks nonetheless.

I’ve definitely got the bug - been eyeing the next build for a few months now. I see what folks on here do with the bigger boats and it’s so impressive. I love the 22 Panga and think that would be a great hull for the Keys, even though you don’t really see them here. But I have a build space issue. Maybe an LM or FS 18 is in my future…or a canoe to tide me over 😁

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

All this talk about next builds has me looking at what's next...maybe a Conchfish or Lithium by Morejohn.

I'm gonna need more room! :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congrats!! Really well done!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

My younger brother just bought a home on Big Pine. Maybe I'll see you on the water later this spring/summer. Awesome job!!!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Beautifully done, Mojo! Crazy build time too!

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Two things today - got her registered and weighed. If not for my own stupidity, registration would have been much simpler. I gave them 3 receipts that didn't indicate sales tax - not sure how that happened, but it did. So they broke out the calculators. That on top of the clerk being a trainee and having her first experience with a "homemade vessel" - and - her manager spilling a full cup of coffee on my paperwork. Otherwise, it went as smooth as can be and only ended up costing me an extra $19. :oops: I can live with that just to have it behind me.

As far as the weight, the whole rig weighs exactly 1,000 lbs. Yup, Exactly. :doh: That perfectly round number certainly doesn't give me confidence that it's correct. :roll: The attendant assured me that it was accurate within 20 lbs. The weigh method was boat/trailer only (tow vehicle disconnected). Anyway, if accurate, my math puts the hull + hardware at 495 lbs. So, she's got hips!

Total Weight: 1,000 lbs
- Trailer (Magic Tilt MT14-1250): 230 lbs
- Spare Tire: 20 lbs
- Engine (Yamaha F25LWHC): 140 lbs
- Trolling Motor (12V 55lb Thrust Minn Kota Terrova): 50 lbs
- Battery (Group 24 Lead Acid Deep Cycle): 50 lbs
- Fuel (2.5 gallons): 15 lbs

Hull Weight + Hardware/Equip: 495 lbs.

Beyond that, I have no idea what all the hardware/stuff cumulatively weighs, bit certainly no more than 50 lbs, right?

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I think with the extended decking she was bound to be on the hefty side. That 25 will push her no problem though!

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

I think with the extended decking she was bound to be on the hefty side. That 25 will push her no problem though!
No doubt, although I think it's more in the "extended" stringers. The way I boxed out the hatches essentially gave me full depth stringers (from deck to hull) except for in the cockpit area. Plus she's got a lot of foam. I'm not going to get too concerned - or elated - until I see how she performs. I do expect her to be extremely stiff and to float just fine - even if she's full of water :D