Trent's FS14 LS Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Trent's FS14 LS Build

Post by Dougster »

Really does look good. Kinda like a great big version of my SK-14, which would be more versatile for me. Grab rail sure looks handy. And I have no doubt I'd be using that nice seat.

Dougster

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Agree, that seat is sweet!

Glad you tabbed that transom to the deck. I still have not, so while you learned from my experience, I did not. 8O
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Electrical is done and plumbing is done (unexciting pics to come). I'm on to the fuel system, which brings up a question for Cameron and Jeff. I think we all have the same fuel tank from Boyd's. There is no grounding tab. How did you guys go about grounding the tank? I got my tank with an add-on fuel level gauge. Do you think I should use one of those screws? My other thought was to just ground from one of the mounting flanges. What do you guys think?

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I stacked a ground from the fuel sender and to the ground bus at my fuse block to one of the mounting feet screws.

My sender came with a cork seal and it's not advisable to ground thru threads, so that's why I didn't tie the grounds together at the sender screws.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I didn't ground mine but I like Cameron's idea of attaching to the mounting tab. My tank has no filler neck, no grounding tab and I have no sending unit, no fuel gage. I don't recall if there are any screws for a sending unit but I'll check. After a bunch of reading, I'm going to run a wire from the tank to the negative battery terminal, not sure how I missed the static issue before.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

The sending unit mount is an add on. You'd know if you had it. Big hole, 5 threaded holes.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Well, I'm happy and sad to say that she's done. Aside for some seadek in the cockpit and shortening the trolling motor shaft, she's done. I purchased the materials and picked them up in mid-March last year, so it's been a year. Can't wait to splash her, start dialing her in, and get the storage situated - but I'm going to miss the build process. I had more enjoyment from this build than anything I've ever worked on...

On to some pics to catch up since my last post:

Plumbing - pretty simple. Bilge pump, live well pump and live well drainage:

Fuel tank:

Electrical: My first shot at wire organization was a disaster. I had to pretty much start all over and ended up here. Still not the best, but tidy enough. This hatch houses all of the electrical - battery, switch panel, battery switch, ground terminal, trolling motor circuit breaker and battery charger.

Non-slip: This was the big lift. I used the "Boatworks Today" method with soft sand.

Taping her up:

Laying the soft sand:

Overburden of soft sand removed:

First coat of paint. It really sucks it up. It took 24 oz. of paint, where I typically could have painted this area with 6 oz. So, 4 times the paint.

My biggest concern was the tape removal and whether I would end up with clean edges. I seriously fretted about this but it came out really well I think:

Motor & Rubrail: Got the motor and rub rail installed with some assitance from my wife and a good friend. I really wanted to get the rub rail from BBC, but I just didn't plan well enough dimensionally for what they offer. The Taco Suproflex was the perfect dimension. I went around in circles on that due to cost but my wife convinced me to take the plunge. Honestly, I miss the square chunky aesthetic of the bare rubrail but I'm guessing this will grow on me:

Trolling Motor: Last step was to get the trolling motor installed. This is a 54" shaft - way more shaft than needed. I plan to cut it down after some on-the-water testing:

Still waiting on the seadek I ordered. Nothing fancy - just some sheet material that I'll cut myself. Until that arrives, the focus shifts to the davit rigging for her...

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

She's a beaut! Heck of a job! That chrome rub rail really pops on the all white boat. I couldn't pull it off as I've been bumping mine pretty good already.

Regarding TM shaft, I suspect you'll end up around 36-42. Mines 42 and the collar is halfway up the shaft when trying to keep the motor as shallow as possible.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Total bar-setter, immaculate work! Jewelry. I suspect that will generate quite a few fs14ls plan sales! Can't wait to get a close look!

Have you run it?

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Thanks Guys! Yes, motor took all of 5 seconds to start up.