Long time lurker but took the plunge on Sk14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
kunder3006
New Poster
New Poster

Long time lurker but took the plunge on Sk14

Post by kunder3006 »

Name is Kenneth from Southeast Texas, I have been lurking on here for sometime soaking up what I could from y’all great builds. I wanted to do a little budget build on a small skiff so I picked the Sk14 for me to learn from my I know my many mistakes. I said it was a budget build so no high dollar plywood, I went big box store, again the boat is to cut my teeth on. I will post photos soon of my budget build. I have one question at this time, can I gel coat/paint over the fairing compound or do I need to coat with one coat of epoxy. The complete boat is fiberglassed that I will be gel coating. Thanks for any help. Pics to come. It’s been a learning curve but love to figure out most problems on my on, or maybe too bull headed to ask before I make a mistake but paint is not cheap and one more time this is a budget build to get me the in the back lakes chasing them red fish. It will get beat up and to make myself fell better on the looks of the rig, I say it’s more of a functional boat then I art piece boat like some of the ones I have seen on here.Thanks for having me on here. I know y’all are not a judgmental group but I also know y’all take your boat building seriously.

kunder3006
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Long time lurker but took the plunge on Sk14

Post by kunder3006 »

I tripled the keel with fiberglass tape, over kill and will be really hard to fair out but again going for slim in the rig not a Bottom beauty contest. I faired some before I glassed and in process of fairing over the glass. She will win zero beauty contest so I will name her when completed (The Ugly Wife) maybe. I’m going white and sea foam green on the colors.
Attachments
C514D650-CDBF-493D-A884-2A735D985D5A.jpeg
890AB7D8-4959-41B6-883F-45E9028AF0B2.jpeg
5758875D-B5EB-4F67-8B50-E6E62B9CEC7E.jpeg
C6916357-A1CD-4E32-80DA-0133120DD29E.jpeg
D237AB8B-3E50-4147-9C91-91769AD0C86C.jpeg
05AC2E6E-952F-4DC6-9744-6BBAB11BFA9E.jpeg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Looks like you're about done, did you have fun? To answer your question, it's best to put a neat coat of epoxy over the fairing before beginning paint, unless you're using an epoxy primer, which it doesn't sound like you plan to do. You can use porch paint if you don't want to buy the good stuff. For that matter, you could have skipped the fairing completely if you don't care how it looks and wanted to save money (although you wouldn't have gotten practice fairing).
Hank

kunder3006
New Poster
New Poster

Post by kunder3006 »

Thanks for the reply, I wanted to give a try and new it was not going to be the art piece I have seen on here. I just want it to #1 float, I believe that’s not an issue with all flotation foam I have poured in her. Looks are # 2. I read on here that a lot of folks spent more time then they should have one the bottom getting a mirror finish to take it out and cross sand bars and oyster reefs. I know I could have done better but that’s on me. I’m going to fair the sides. I have some sanding ahead of me but if it does what I need I bet my next project I will be more tentative on detail. I kayak fish, have a larger bay boat but was looking for a boat for more distance and shallow water abilities. I did pick a up a trailer on a trade for next to nothing for her. It’s been pretty neat to see it come together and the thin wood firm up to what it is at this point. I will ordering a grab bar soon. I believe I will put a 6hp or maybe 8 on her. 9.9 from what I read is fine but a lot. Heck I saw on you tube a guy put a 15 on his. Again thanks for having me
Attachments
A7F46DE8-B6C6-4F28-82E2-7EDF937E4D01.jpeg
D0EAD967-096D-49D0-B9F4-7AE337422820.jpeg
1B7FA60B-B59A-474E-B056-D6960DD31CA6.jpeg
918E8985-B86B-4F75-B550-E7B35C85D31B.jpeg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You said "the complete boat is fiberglassed", if that means all exposed wood has been covered in fiberglass, that is good. If your plywood is made with interior glue it won't hold up to getting wet at all, I guess you know that.
Hank

kunder3006
New Poster
New Poster

Post by kunder3006 »

Yes I fiberglassed the complete, bottom and sides up to rub rail gunnel. The sol/deck will be epoxy covered with epoxy paint. I used what is called sande wood I have attached some info on it. It has went up in price as all wood has, when I bought it it cost almost have of what it is now. We will see how it does. It will be either fiberglass or epoxy completely along with paint. Time will tell.
Attachments
B48DB685-6A51-4D0F-8640-34B24471571E.jpeg

kunder3006
New Poster
New Poster

Post by kunder3006 »

I'm in the process of hunting up a motor, question I have is this, the plans state to cut the transom 2 inch higher then 17 for planning speeds, that make my transom over all 19-1/4 with the two inch add. Will a short shaft work still, most motors are 15 inch shaft and the 20 are for sale boats, did i read the plan wrong? Did I make my transom to tall, no problem if I did, I can cut it down if need be.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Long shaft (20”) not not all for sailboats. There are distinct things that make motors specific to sailboats that are not present on most motors. If you see words like “sail drive” or “high output alternator” it is almost certainly optimized for powering a sailboat.

Most manufacturers have the same motor for high speed use as well. As a matter of fact it is harder to find a sailboat optimized motor than a standard in long and extraordinary long length. At least that’s my experience right now.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.