Marshall's FS17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Marshall's FS17

Post by Jaysen »

Micro balloons

If there is a white powder in there it is micro balloons and silica fairing mix.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Help needed with motorwell as I stack molds on my strongback: The Building Notes indicate I should "install the transom fastened to the motorwell sides." What is the method of attachment for the transom to the motorwell sides? Also, how are these sides attached to mold/frame "E." I assume during this phase, I am only installing the 2 sides of the motorwell and no other motorwell components? Any help for this novice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
Transom2.PNG
Transom2.PNG (53.89 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
Transom1.PNG
Transom1.PNG (50.9 KiB) Viewed 1977 times

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Temporary screws to keep all aligned until they are tabbed in place with epoxy putty (wood flour and resin). I believe they aren’t removed until after you flip the hull. Just don’t epoxy over the screws before you remove them. You should have the wotorwell sides attached to stringers, the last frame before the transom and the transom. The motorwell frame is the actual piece that you will be installing permanently in the boat. Unlike most of the other frames that are temporary molds at this point. Here’s how my FS19 looked at that stage. Welcome to the BBC club. My 19 is same construction as your 17. I included a lot of staging pics at my FS19 (-5%) in Ga thread. Have fun, keep the questions coming. Here’s how I looked laying out those 19 ft panels. You’ll miss this fun having the precut kit with puzzle joints.
Attachments
C37ACBD0-79EB-4E09-B3F7-1516AA223D2E.png
95907FD6-5B89-4017-8163-0C8FC226F6E7.png

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

There are a number of ways to do the bonding.

Screws if the ply is 1/2" or more.

Thickened resin.

Pipe clamps if you have them can work.

Ratchet straps another option.

Personally, I do not like to fillet without tabbing because I hate sanding fillets.

Another method which works for no load (perhaps not here) is hot glue and then you just bury it in the fillets.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

GuyP and Fallguy1000 - Excellent inputs; thank you. These inputs are slowly starting to make some of this make sense. Pressing ahead hard beginning tomorrow. Much appreciated! - Marshall

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Marshall it was my first stitch and glue also. This forum and Jeff and Reid at BBC we’re quite helpful along the way. Enjoy your creative endeavor. Look up Dr Pete from your neck of the woods for a close to home build.

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Interesting. How do I make contact with Dr Pete?

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

I temporarily clamped the motor well sides to the stringers. The aft part of the well sides should be flush with the aft side of the stringers. I've got a protrusion of the well sides from the stringers of about 1/8 to 3/16 inch (maybe more). Filing/sanding to a go flush with the stringers is probably not an option since much of the motor well profile exists away from the stringer. My guess is that this needs to be flush for a good mating with the transom.
Attachments
P5170062.JPG
P5170055.JPG

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Transom fastening issues - The plans for the FS17 have specific measurements for the strongback dimensions. They are 166 1/8". While attempting to attach the transom, the strongback appears to be too long and interferes with this step. Altering the strongback will be a headache due to cross-framing (underneath) that runs the length of the strongback. Measurements of what I've done match the plans. What's wrong here? Any advise?
Attachments
P5170067.JPG

Dr Pete
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dr Pete »

Just looked at your post Marshall. I am in Seguin. East of San Antonio by 45 miles. Love to help but you may be nearer to GuyP than me. I think he’s only in Georgia. Durn sure willing to help. Good luck. Dr Pete