Marshall's FS17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Marshall's FS17

Post by MarshallTX »

No previous experience - Strongback is built and awaiting CNC kit. I have some confusion as I read Building Notes: How is the bow mold (A) positioned vertically as it butts into the strongback? Also, I’m needing help understanding the vertical placement of the subsequent molds. Some seem to rest on the strongback while others (pictured in Building Notes) may be elevated vertically (using braces) above the strongback.
Attachments
P3280012.JPG

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Marshall's FS17

Post by TomW1 »

First all of your molds will be full size. the smaller ones that run under the deck will be throw aways full size ones made of plywood or should be in the kit and then be replaced by the smaller ones when you flip. As far as the bow mold, make sure it is centered and you can then screw it to frame A. Make sure you have it at the right height for the hull or it won't do you any good. Again it is a throw away.

Well I hope this helps, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have not built the FS17, but others have...

In general terms, station molds are attsched to a 2x4 cleat on edge. Those are then screwed to the strongback. To get the vertical height right, certain setups require adding vertical 2x4s and then a cleat to the bottom of them.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Here is a general idea. Sometimes, you won't need the verticals and the horizontal cleat screws to the mould. Bow mold is same, but attaches to the middle of the stringback
15D5708B-DEFA-4052-8B4F-7D66F9577D60.png
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

All appreciated; thank you!

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

CNC kit - Do I punch these cuts (since they are not all the way through) or use a jigsaw, or something else? Also, is some light sanding a good idea? Other inputs? Thanks!
Attachments
P3290025.JPG

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Always good to see someone jumping right into the thick of it!

Regarding the puzzle joints, is there a consistent "onion skin" or "tabs" left holding the pieces together?

The corresponding puzzle joint needs to fit snuggly into this one, so the edges must be clean. A small, .02" or less, is conducive in the joint as it allows glue to fill the gaps.

A quick read on puzzle joints can be found here...
https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... -joint.pdf

As well as host of other helpful reads that will help it all to come into focus.

Good luck. Keep posting pics.

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

A consistent "onion skin." When I use the jigsaw, the tend to breakaway before they are cut. My concern is the breakaway causes some splintering and loss of wood. Trying to find the approved solution.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

MarshallTX wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:12 pm A consistent "onion skin." When I use the jigsaw, the tend to breakaway before they are cut. My concern is the breakaway causes some splintering and loss of wood. Trying to find the approved solution.
A little splintering won’t hurt a thing. Squeegee the glue over the gaps and any splintering, cover it with plastic and add some weight. They’ll be fine.

A laminate trimming bit in a small router will cut the onion skin most easily. Quicker and cleaner than a jig saw.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

I use an Oscillating tool with a fine tooth saw blade to cut the pieces out. A very useful tool for boatbuilding and relatively inexpensive. I’ve got one set up to cut and another set up to sand. Both inexpensive Harbor Freight purchases.