Marshall's FS17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Marshall's FS17

Post by MarshallTX »

Narfi, Tom, Fallguy - Many thanks!

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ready for tape

Post by MarshallTX »

Will tack weld this weekend and prep for tape. Most of what I read is that wet-on-wet is best. When I surf the forum, it seems like some do not use this technique when taping (I see sanded seams, complete joints with fillet and bevels, etc.). Any strong advice or opinions? Thanks!
Attachments
DSCN4090.JPG
DSCN4082.JPG
DSCN4080.JPG

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Your work looks outstanding to me. At this point you need to mix up peanut butter like glue and tack her together. After the glue sets you remove the zip ties/ sand everything smooth/ round the edges for tape/ fill the gaps and lay tape.
Trying to glue things together and lay tape all at the same time at this point will not work out very well.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Second Fuzz.

The issue is movement. You can't tape over moving joints.

There is also time management.

It will be plenty of work to glue. Make sure the glue is stiff.

Just so you know, I really prefer to prewet plywood joints with epoxy just like a couple hours before filling. I have had enough wood to wood bonds fail to know the epoxy likes to get sucked into dry ply and wood end grains.

For the times I wanted to glue and tape, I typically used hot glue to stop the panel from moving. Then bonded, fillets, and tape. Ply bulkheads should never touch the hull, so the hotglue works well to close the gap, and get a hold so you can keep moving to the finish.

Prewetting is not real pretty, but it is pro grade work to do it.

Also, mix your glue onto a hawk or board to keep it thin so it doesn't kick. Some guys like the pastry bag, but it is really a nightmare for these joins for me. When you mix onto a hawk, pile the stuff up in the middle and watch it for 10 seconds. If it starts to settle; it needs more filler. Once stiff enough, lay it down thin; it'll buy you time on the batch.

The other thing about prewetting same day is the curing epoxy in the seam is sticky as hell and will help resist stuff falling out..sag..

Prewetting too far ahead is bad. The epoxy will cure and be impossible to sand in the joint for secondary bonding...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

I did pre-coat with a thin layer of epoxy during the very initial stage. Are you suggesting wetting all edges before tacking with the fillet? For tackweld?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You also need to get under the boat and tape the seams with blue painters tape so that none of the goop goes through to the inside of the inside of the seems. it is a mess to try and sand and clean up when you flip the boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

MarshallTX wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:04 pm I did pre-coat with a thin layer of epoxy during the very initial stage. Are you suggesting wetting all edges before tacking with the fillet? For tackweld?
A neatcoat is a good way to go Marshall. The clear epoxy gets into small cracks n crevices and you get the advantage of sticky.

Follow Tom on the masking tape..

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Once again, great advice. I've taped the underside today. Tomorrow I will put a thin coat of epoxy on the edges followed by some thick fillet on the seams. I think that's what the guidance has been? Thanks!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

MarshallTX wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:07 pm Once again, great advice. I've taped the underside today. Tomorrow I will put a thin coat of epoxy on the edges followed by some thick fillet on the seams. I think that's what the guidance has been? Thanks!
Just make sure the neat coat is really sticky before you start to fill or it'll all fall out.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Since the work looks so good as it is, "spot weld" with peanut butter in a few strategic locations that will hold it as it is, and you'll be able to cut the zip ties. Once zip ties are cut and spot welds sanded smooth, you can go full send on wet on wet. Wet the edges, fillet all of the seams, tape, glass, etc. This is the fast moving portion of the build. Enjoy!