Marshall's FS17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Marshall's FS17

Post by MarshallTX »

Tom, Fallguy - All good inputs. Probably no need to pull up on sand. I'm going to continue on with the plan of a single skeg. Any inputs on type of material for the skeg or other suggestions?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You can use leftover 3/4" mercanti plywood it is the fiberglass that will protect it. Make sure you round over the top/bottom edges so the fiberglass will take the ben. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

I did see that amongst other builds as a technique. I also noticed some that would not glass on only treat/coat the skeg. Not sure which is best.

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Spray Rails

Post by MarshallTX »

I'm a novice boater and builder. I'm seeking some advice on spray rails. I've faired the hull and probably ready to work the skeg and rubrails. On the FS17, and at my experience level, should I consider spray-rails? Why/why not? Can they be applied at my stage of build? How difficult? I see rails at/below the chine and also above. As always, any and all responses are appreciated.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

MarshallTX wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:57 pm I did see that amongst other builds as a technique. I also noticed some that would not glass on only treat/coat the skeg. Not sure which is best.
The best way is to cover it with fiberglass, that way you can beach her if you want or if you get on to oyster beds it will not be damaged. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Spray Rails

Post by TomW1 »

MarshallTX wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:30 pm I'm a novice boater and builder. I'm seeking some advice on spray rails. I've faired the hull and probably ready to work the skeg and rubrails. On the FS17, and at my experience level, should I consider spray-rails? Why/why not? Can they be applied at my stage of build? How difficult? I see rails at/below the chine and also above. As always, any and all responses are appreciated.
Most of the FS17's I have seen built do not have spray rails on them, the plans do not require one. If you do want to put one on I would on at about 6" above the waterline and 7-8' long from the transom forward. Tom

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Tom - Great advice on the skeg and spray rails. Thanks! I'll wait until the build is complete and add the spray rails if needed.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Marshall make sure you leave the skeg about 18" short of the transom, so it doesn't interfere with water going to prop. Tom

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Tom - Agreed. I read a past forum post (maybe from you) discussing turbulence issues. Will move to a point forward of the transom; thanks!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

MarshallTX wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:52 pm Tom - Great advice on the skeg and spray rails. Thanks! I'll wait until the build is complete and add the spray rails if needed.
Are you thinking about spray rails up forward or aft?