Marshall's FS17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Marshall's FS17

Post by fallguy1000 »

What owt says... I would trim the bottom panels to flush, then fill the edges square; then router..or handshape with plane or 40 grit
93FD57C8-3C38-4731-94D8-41E711BBEC39.png
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Oneway and Fallguy - Needed that advice and picture! Much appreciated. I'll remove a bit of the bottom panels by the transom and all should be good.

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

TackWeld to Transom

Post by MarshallTX »

I plan to use small beads around the panels/boat as I tack weld. It seems that I should use more than that when I get to the multiply part of the transom. For this area, shouldn't I essentially cover this "entire" area when securing the side panels?
Attachments
TransomTacWeldQuestion.jpg
TransomTacWeldQuestion.jpg (78.19 KiB) Viewed 1375 times

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: TackWeld to Transom

Post by pee wee »

MarshallTX wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:55 pm I plan to use small beads around the panels/boat as I tack weld. It seems that I should use more than that when I get to the multiply part of the transom. For this area, shouldn't I essentially cover this "entire" area when securing the side panels?
If you can handle it, yes. Give the edges a coat of neat epoxy and spread thickened epoxy adhesive on all the edges. Working around zip ties you have to work between them and then once that's set, remove the ties and get the rest. Don't forget to tape the inside of those joints so you don't end up with a big glob of hardened epoxy to remove. Got packing tape on the moulds, so you don't glue the hull to them?
Hank

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Many thanks! Which is better: Packing tape or the wide painter's tape?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Wide painters tape is best. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Transom to side planks

Post by MarshallTX »

The corners of the side planks match up fairly nice with the corners of the transom. However, due to the angle of the transom, part of it protrudes beyond the panels. With most things lining-up fairly well, I want to make sure this is normal before spot-welding in case I'm missing something obvious.
Attachments
Transom Protusion Geometry.jpg
Transom Protusion Geometry.jpg (56.42 KiB) Viewed 1307 times

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Delete
Last edited by fallguy1000 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Your side panels are a hair low, but you can tweak this with the rubrail/gunwhale I'd say.

The transom top is the high point, though. Nothing will go above it the way things go.

Here is a picture of the way Skoota finished A bit tricky because the gunwhales come down, but at the transom; the transom is the top. You will have to fill the gap with thickened resin is all....
2E187B47-91EB-4A98-ADEB-B4425C5D6E4C.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:19 pm Your side panels are a hair low, but you can tweak this with the rubrail/gunwhale I'd say.

Agreed. Your only option at the moment would be to trim that flat now but if it were me I wouldn't worry about it, I would wait to see how the rubrails and aft deck interface and then decide hope to cope with it. Maybe you'll end up building up the top of the transom at that angle with trim, or maybe you'll shave it flat and run the aft deck flush with it. Unless you already know the exact plan, I'd move on. Hitting it with a jack-plane later will be a simple task.

May want to check-in with narfi on it, marshall. I looked at his build and did not see that in the photos but he may have some sage input on it, he usually does.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie