panga 22

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: panga 22

Post by Jeff »

Very nice work!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

jljones wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:31 am ran out of paint on cockpit sole, to paint over soft sand,fine, takes 3 times the paint
I ran into the same issue: ran out of paint and ran out of time to keep adding coats. I ended up losing a lot of my grit in the first few days of use to due insufficient over-coating and need to start over with my non-skid on some areas of my boat. Will need to wait till mid-summer to fix. I'm thinking I can use a much cheaper paint over the grit than the stuff I've been using(TotalBoat Topside) since it's just going to get walked on, scuffed, dirtied, etc.

Rally like your build, big fan of the Pangas!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Classy looking ride, sir!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Really good looking boat! Try to get some more paint on the deck so you don't have the problem Jeff had, you may have a few more warm days. :?:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Lurker4567
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lurker4567 »

Beautiful work! Any other pics or details on how you built the sapele gunwales/coaming/breastplate, etc? I have visions of a thousand clamps, steam bending, scribing, witches brews... :D I've been following boat building on the web for at least a decade and this is pretty much the only aspect of which there is virtually no information to be had. The sparse information out there seems to only concern teak in the cockpit of some monster sport fisher.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I love the looks of your build and all the clever little details! Beautiful build.

jljones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jljones »

I could not find pictures of the sapele deck construction, I did not have to steam it, started with the coaming, then the king plank at the bow to receive the ends of each strip,after cutting all the strips from 5/4 planks 9 ft long I cut scarf joints to glue up 24 ft strips,started with the strip resting on the coaming glueing it down with (yes),lots of clamps, for each of the remaining strips I glued and screwed with #8 2 1/2 in ss finishing screws through the edge, until I reached the rub rail glued on earlier, then with an electric planer I shaped the top and then lots of sanding

Here is a picture of the helm seat, after painting the top sides, I will be getting it out of the garage and on to a trailer and take it to St Pete Florida for the Yamaha 70 hp then I can post better pictures outside of my little garage
IMG_20211201_151853861_HDR.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work!!!!!! Jeff

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Can’t wait to see this on the water…

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Wow! You did an amazing job!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman