FS17 - The Curse Of The Plytanic!

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS17 - The Curse Of The Plytanic!

Post by cape man »

Those are good numbers!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Agree with Cape Man, good numbers!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Your boat looks really good on the water and seem to handle the chop and waves nicely from your video. Happy boating!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I think the numbers are respectable, but can improve a bit. I might need to add some tabs later on. She handles big water well because it has a lot of buoyancy, but not quite as smooth as I expected. The light weight hull transmits a lot of force. I'll do a write up later on when I get a chance on my thoughts.

I forgot to post this one from the other day. Here you can see the scupper holes are well above the water at rest. The tubes are 1.5" and it has about a 1.5" drop from the sole. So at the dock the sole is about 2" above the waterline. Keep in mind I raised my sole and 1" too. I am using rubber plugs for now when the boat is in use, I may upgrade to ping pong scupper caps later on.

Image20210416_121424_resized , on Flickr

I took the boat out to Lake Parker today, just get some hours on the motor. It was pretty windy.

Image20210427_125350_resized , on Flickr

This was on the northern part of the lake where it was calmer. The southern side had white caps. I just can't catch a break with this weather.

Image20210427_120531_resized , on Flickr

I spent 1.5 hours basically doing loops in the northern part of the lake. Motor now has about 8 hours on it. 2 more hours until the break in is done, and 12 until I have to change the oil.

Image20210427_130659_resized , on Flickr
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I'm working on putting some hours on her. the windy conditions have had me sitting at home, but today didn't look bad locally. I took her out to Lake Hunter again and ran around. It was calmer for the first 30 minutes or so. I was able to hit 37mph @ WOT and 5800rpm. Not to shabby. It slides a bit in turns and ventilates, so I'll be looking to address that after we get back from vacation.

So they say there's no such thing as a bad day on the water. Well that can be challenged, lol. Today was not a bad day, but it was less then exciting. Lapping a smaller lake for 2 hours.... yeah. Good news is I finished my 10 hour break in. Here's my Spaghetti track.

Imagelk hunter , on Flickr
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

sounds like 2 stress free hours :)
I like it. Really glad you got it in the water.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

It is tough to do the break in by the book. And new motors will tell on you if you don't do it. :roll: I got lucky with my last new motor in that it would run plenty fast for me at 4000 rpm.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Congrats on the break in, great numbers. Glad all went well. You are not ventilating but cavitating on your turns. Cavitating is when the prop is drawing air into the prop. We will solve the sliding and cavitation when you are ready to go to a SS prop. Your aluminum prop does not have the grip on the water that a SS will have. Cavitation will not do any damage if it doesn't happen often, but in the mean time suggest you just slow down in turns.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

TomW1 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:46 pm Congrats on the break in, great numbers. Glad all went well. You are not ventilating but cavitating on your turns. Cavitating is when the prop is drawing air into the prop. We will solve the sliding and cavitation when you are ready to go to a SS prop. Your aluminum prop does not have the grip on the water that a SS will have. Cavitation will not do any damage if it doesn't happen often, but in the mean time suggest you just slow down in turns.

Tom
You have cavitation and ventilation mixed up Tom. Ventilation is when air is drawn in to the prop. Cavitation is when water turns to vapor on the prop due to reduced pressure.

https://acepropeller.com/boat-propeller ... ntilation/

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

joe2700 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:48 am
TomW1 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:46 pm Congrats on the break in, great numbers. Glad all went well. You are not ventilating but cavitating on your turns. Cavitating is when the prop is drawing air into the prop. We will solve the sliding and cavitation when you are ready to go to a SS prop. Your aluminum prop does not have the grip on the water that a SS will have. Cavitation will not do any damage if it doesn't happen often, but in the mean time suggest you just slow down in turns.

Tom
You have cavitation and ventilation mixed up Tom. Ventilation is when air is drawn in to the prop. Cavitation is when water turns to vapor on the prop due to reduced pressure.

https://acepropeller.com/boat-propeller ... ntilation/
I stand corrected, I was taught the opposite. :oops: Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978