FS17 - The Curse Of The Plytanic!

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

FS17 - The Curse Of The Plytanic!

Post by silentneko »

Originally this boat was going to be called the Plytanic 2.0, as my last skiff build was The Plytanic, but as things went side ways I decided this was more fitting, lol. Here is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62802

She has now seen water! After much sweat, tears, heartache, and blood I was finally able to launch the boat. I picked up the boat after getting the new Tohatsu 60hp installed. I originally was hoping for a white motor, but because of covid I couldn’t get one in until maybe June. That wasn’t going to work since we had a house rented in Marco island before that, so dark blue it is. After PDI and prop selection the motor had about 2 hours upon picking it up. They tested it in the Homosassa river, so if you are familiar, you know there is a long distance of slow speed before you can open her up.
I decided since it will be a 2 hour ride home I would do the same. I launched her at McRae’s and started idling down river.
Image20210416_121517_resized , on Flickr

Image20210416_120249_resized , on Flickr

Image20210416_120256_resized , on Flickr

So here is where things went a little wonky. I don’t have a GPS installed yet because I wanted to see where the best position would be after the controls are installed. I’ve been down the river before, but it can be treacherous with the submerged rocks and bars. I had navionics on my phone, but it didn’t even have the river on it. Once we left the slow speed zone I opened her up a little. To my surprise it jumped up quick! Launched is more like it. I can’t hammer it to much being it’s only got a few hours on it yet, but more on that later. I was behind a quick pontoon boat while trying to look at my cell for current speed on navionics. Well he was going to visit a buddy down one of the side channels, so I was a bit off the main river and out of sight of any channel markers. All I kept thinking is I can’t be the guy to lose a lower unit on a brand new motor. While navionics sucked for mapping it did record my track so I zoomed in and idled back for 10 minutes until I was back in the channel. I decided that was enough of a test and made my way back to the ramp. I drove back to Lakeland and launched her in Lake Hunter.

Image20210416_161604_resized , on Flickr

Here I was able to play with it as much as I wanted…..within the break-in instructions. These are the Tohatsu break-in directions.
Image20210418_125725_resized[6574] , on Flickr

So basically I can do ¾ throttle, and an occasional full throttle run. I have just a Solas Aluminum Prop on it for now and it may loosen up a little more, but so far I’m very happy with the numbers. I expected between 32 to 35mph top speed based on other FS17 builds. Here are some quick numbers:
6.3mph @ 1600rpm
17.7mph @ 3200rpm
36.1mph @ 5800rpm – Full Throttle!

I’ll update some more soon with what I think of the hull and ride, and get some more pics and videos going. It’s faster than I thought, and we will be using it quite a bit the next few weeks. Stay tuned!
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS17 - The Curse Of The Plytanic!

Post by Jeff »

Congrats!!! She looks beautiful on the water!!!! Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Got to feel great!

Looks awesome!

What's the rev limit on the motor?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Thanks guys. It's nice to finally see it done.

The upper rpm range is 6k. So it's not far off. Later on I'll probably upgrade it to a SS with a little cup like a jack Forman or powertech. She ventilates a little when turning sharp at speed, and I think I can squeak out a little more mph.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I like the dark blue beast on the back.

Congrats. It is really a sharp looking rig.

I would not like to venture in a new boat without gps.

Navionics on the phone at a minimum.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Thanks. Navionics did an android update several months ago, and it hasn't worked well since. This is what I saw on my trip. As you can see it's missing the entire river system now.
Screenshot_20210416-114502_Boating.jpg
Screenshot_20210416-112649_Boating.jpg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

silentneko wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:06 pm Thanks guys. It's nice to finally see it done.

The upper rpm range is 6k. So it's not far off. Later on I'll probably upgrade it to a SS with a little cup like a jack Forman or powertech. She ventilates a little when turning sharp at speed, and I think I can squeak out a little more mph.
Silenetko let me know the weight of your FS leaving the dock and what your aluminum prop is and I will work up what PTech SS for you if you want. I assume you will just want a standard 3 blade. The upper 30's- low 40's are about right for the FS17 with a 60HP. :lol: I have done two FS17 with 60's.

Take care, I love how your boat came out! :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I appreciate it. I don't have a weight. To be honest I was afraid to weigh it knowing how many extras I added. I think a 3 blade would do ok as I'm looking for good midrange cruise and economy. I'm gonna hold off a bit until I get some more hours on her and a few more accessories. I might have to add tabs, but I'll know more soon after I finish breaking her in.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I took her out again today to try and finish breaking in the motor. Whatever marine forecast I looked up 2 days ago was DEAD WRONG!

It looked ok in the river, just a bit windy.

Image20210422_072732_resized , on Flickr

I launched out of the Alafia river, and as you can see Tampa Bay was a bit sporty. A nasty chop and 20+mph winds. It was hard to hold onto the phone to film and control the skiff. This is after I slowed down to about 7mph. You might need to click to see the video, can't figure it out.

ImageBad boating day , on Flickr

I retreated back to the river, and after about 20 laps in the 25mph zone I quit and went fishing. A damn catfish christened the skiff, go figure.

Image20210422_090054_resized , on Flickr

A few of them, a Lady fish, and then I think a whiting. It's been a while since I caught any.

Image20210422_101740_resized , on Flickr

A few more hours until the break in is done. The tohatsu has plenty of power, and gets real throaty at WOT. I was only able to do WOT for a bout 30 seconds, but even though it was less then smooth I hit 36.3mph @ 5800RPM. A slow cruise was comfortable at 24-25mph @ 3800-4000rpm.