Pick a boat to match the motor.

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Pick a boat to match the motor.

Post by narfi »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:27 pm I also think it would look great ok an rb12 but may be frustratingly slow.
Yes but this kind of makes me want to double down on the suggestion.......
Catfishtoon wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:31 pm This boat would be 90% advertising for my wifes antique store. May get wet a couple times a year? Maybe let the grandkids tool around at family camping trips.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:55 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:27 pm I also think it would look great ok an rb12 but may be frustratingly slow.
Yes but this kind of makes me want to double down on the suggestion.......
Catfishtoon wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:31 pm This boat would be 90% advertising for my wifes antique store. May get wet a couple times a year? Maybe let the grandkids tool around at family camping trips.
Yeah, for that use case, I really like the pick.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I definitely agree with the others the Flat Skiff 14. The FL14 is an antique looking boat to go with the antique motor. The max HP of 7.5 is perfect. It has higher sides for advertising and you could even raise them a couple of inches when building it. Has 3 seats for the grand kids on vacation and they will never go very fast. :D I don't see any down side. :wink: https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/Stud ... _STUDY.pdf She is not a speedster but she sure is pretty on the eyes for an antique boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

RB12....or you can buy a real antique from me.

I have a 1960 Carver Commander 16' I would sell you. It has a hp rating of 40, but noone would know. And if the boat is all done, you could list it afs for say 4500.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Catfishtoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Catfishtoon »

I'm thinking the RB12 might be a little ambitious for my first build.

Thank you all for the great discussion and help.

I bought the plans for the FL14 and will be saving my pennies and doing yards to buy the materials. (yes I'm 50 years old and I took on a yard to get extra money.....lol). The last boat rebuild was financed by building custom kitchen tables for my wife's customers.

Question. If I wanted to satisfy my inner child and print off the drawings (not full size) and cut and paste them together, would I just get multiple printings and cut each piece out of the overlay? And the seat braces things..... I would mark mirror images and add the marked distance between them ?

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Catfishtoon wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:35 pm Question. If I wanted to satisfy my inner child and print off the drawings (not full size) and cut and paste them together, would I just get multiple printings and cut each piece out of the overlay? And the seat braces things..... I would mark mirror images and add the marked distance between them ?
If you have a staples nearby you can get full sized 24 x 36 printed for less than $4 a sheet. I got a few of the larger pages printed this way.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Catfishtoon wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:31 pm Cowbro.... why..... why..... i cant get the hmd19 out of my brain. Except i want the planing version with a 50 on it. Why.... lol.
haha. Build the RB12 first, then build an HM19 after that. You can use the HM19 as support for the RB. lol.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I made a paper model of my boat using a laser cutter to cut out the pieces and glued them up just like you would build the boat. you could cut them with a scissors by printing too though. if you look at paper models they have little foldong tabs on the parts. I didn’t make these and I regretted that. It was difficult to get the pieces to join nicely, used thick super glue for my model. I used scrap booking card stock. Have fun!

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

I'd build a minimax or similar small runabout. Great for attention, easy quick build, small to store and easy to transport.

It may be in Jacques' free plans list or just Google "minimax svensons"

Could be built stitch and glue style