Deadrise OB15

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
FrisianAngler
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Deadrise OB15

Post by FrisianAngler »

Just wondered if the OB15 would be suitable to equip with an inboard Electronic powered propulsion system. I have been talking to some boat professionals and with all the climate stuff going on, they expect recreational boating to go all Electric in about 10 years from now. Might as well anticipate, since I think it might still take a while before I can start building mine.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The current electrical propulsion systems for boats are very limited and very expensive. They are also limited to displacement speeds. Batteries are still heavy and expensive and you need a lot for a days worth on the water for a displacement speed motor for the OB15 that will reach speeds of 6-8 mph. Check out Glossiebacks ST21 build down in the main Builders Power Boat section. Start from page 1, is a lot in there other than his build. :D

In my opinion it will be 20 years, but they are adding new emission restrictions on our gas engines regularly now. I would just get the gas engine you want now when you finish your boat and not worry about anything else. Normally things are grandfathered in.

Tom.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

FrisianAngler
New Poster
New Poster

Post by FrisianAngler »

Thanks for your input, Tom. I found the post you mentioned, will start reading it. 616 pages, it will take me a while, haha.

I found out that Torqueedo already has inboard elctro-motors capabele of planing speeds, both inboard and outboard. Obviously, going full throttle (is that even a thing with Electronic motors?!?), will reduce the time on the water dramatically. But I also expect the batteries and motors will improve over time, making it more attractive in the future. Weight and cost, especially of the batteries, make me want to cry...

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

A morning or day's outing at displacement speeds, sure. But planing a 15' boat with folks on board for any length of time? I don't think we're too close to that yet. When (if?) solid state batteries come on line maybe so, but that's a some day. Let folks here know what you want to use the boat for and ther'll be better info that I can provide.

Dougster

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’d avoid the inboard unless you really like doing things the hard way.

Look at the various outboard providers in EU over torqupedo. Better tech, battery life and speed. Running a small planing boat for 4-6hrs at plane is possible but you’ll need 4 batteries as WOT only gets you about 1.5hr runtime on glass. The batteries are small enough to transport in a soft sided bag.
I
Basically, this is not a problem for today’s tech if you buy out of EU. Also future proof of you go outboard. US tech won’t really be capable for 5-10yr thanks to existing players. Let me know if you need more info.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jaysen I agree the EU is ahead of us in some ways. But batteries are batteries but no one has yet improved on what we have now and while they are smaller and more powerful they still cannot provide the power and endurance needed for a boat motor to perform like a gas one.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Tom, I will respectfully disagree based on the artificial limits the US is putting on our market. There are many battery technologies used in the EU EV industries that are “not allowed” in the US (unless purchased by an individual as part of a complete product). Additionally the EU tech includes motor tech that is more efficient. Combined this leads to much better over all performance than any product we can buy here.

As to it working for his use, please reread my post. He needs to purchase multiple battery sets. Instead of telling him “it’s a bad idea”, I actually explained how he could achieve his desired goal today. It is entirely possible to support a full planing hull TODAY. You simply need to ensure you have adequate backup power.

You and I agree that at this point in time, marine EV needs a lot of work. We only disagree on what is possible today. I’m forced to deal with this EU tech for another project and may have a slightly more optimistic view.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It's technically possible to get an OB15 on plane with an electric outboard but check the cost. Your outboard, batteries, chargers etc.. will cost you several times more than the materials for the hull, probably 10 times at today's prices.
However, things are changing fast in that area. Within 10 years, great progress will be achieved in the area of batteries which a big part of the cost.
I would build the boat and select the propulsion when the boat is ready. Prices may go down or regulations may become more reasonable.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

jacquesmm wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:31 pm I would build the boat and select the propulsion when the boat is ready. Prices may go down or regulations may become more reasonable.
This is exactly the thought process I would use. Especially for the batteries.

I would disagree about better motor tech in EU though. You have to dig deep beyond the BS market stuff, but there are only a few types of motors out there. I have pretty much read the specs, market material, and brochures for most of the manufacturers a consumer can buy from. Everyone is trying to make their product seem different, but much of it is the same underneath. There are more options in the EU market for sure.

The hardest part of electric vehicles is getting over worrying about range. Electric is different in a few regards, when the motor is pushing its bot using power. So the times when you would idle a gas motor and its using gas. The electric motor is using nothing. The torque curve is different, so less energy may be consumed to move the boat in certain situations. Regen is possible, so if you are anchored in current, you might be actually charging the battery, increasing range.

Also, depending on how you use the boat you might not actually be going that far. And since power used to move the boat goes up at a power cubed with speed, maybe you can plane to the perfect fishing spot and just cruise home. Also, maybe for some longer runs you grab one of the honda 1000w generators to increase your range some. There are lots of stuff you can do.

the biggest thing with the marine industry is that is slow to embrace change and thus the products change slow as well.

my last point, As much as I love glossieblack’s boat, I think there are some better ways to do the electric part.