epoxy question

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: epoxy question

Post by nightcrawler »

Thanks Guys
my eyelids swell up and itch. I also get a wicked rash behind my ears. I am now wearing a full face respirator that helps but still have the eye problem. I'm too far into the pg 25 to quit now. Jig ,molds stringers and transom built and plywood purchased laid out and cut and tabed for mounting, Worried about the massive amounts of epoxy to come.
Roland

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

nightcrawler wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:53 pm Thanks Guys
my eyelids swell up and itch. I also get a wicked rash behind my ears. I am now wearing a full face respirator that helps but still have the eye problem. I'm too far into the pg 25 to quit now. Jig ,molds stringers and transom built and plywood purchased laid out and cut and tabed for mounting, Worried about the massive amounts of epoxy to come.
Roland
You need to consider changing the air in the work environment. Air changes would help you a bit. If the concentration is lower outside the mask; it'd be lower still in the respirator. How to do it is up to you. An open garage door, fans, a real air exchanger, a wall blower. Anything that can change air..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

I have been lucky so far and most of the epoxy-work is done. Most of the time I wear longsleeve, but when it gets too hot only t-shirt. I use gloves, but I still manage to get epoxy on my hands. I use soap with woodpowder to get rid of it. It's not perfect, but it scrups most of it.

I had a serious reaction painting the hull. Although I used a mask my nose started bleeding. Luckily, the work was finished by then.

I hope your reaction gets better.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I leaned how to remove gloves doing radiation/contamination work and we had a specific technique because obvious getting radiological contamination on your skin is bad even a drop. This video is similar to how i do it and I never get it on my hands or body. also, they make longer nitrile gloves that can protect your wrists. https://youtu.be/xTYioOo__6U

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

from what the OP is saying. it sounds like air quality is the real problem. I’d like to hear more about shop set up, geographic location, etc.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Is the respirator forced air? There are systems that supply forced air from outside the shop. Cumbersome and pricey I bet, but probably safest?

Dougster

nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nightcrawler »

Thanks guys
i have since started using a forced air respirator. Also running 2 box fans pushing air out of the shop. I also am using a product called exopoxy which seems to be quite a bit less toxic. That being said my reaction is much less than it was.
I'm 99 % ready to flip but won't be back in Vt to start back on it till late april. I'll see what happens then
Happy Building
Roland

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Good to hear.