Non skid turning my oyster white beige

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Non skid turning my oyster white beige

Post by VT_Jeff »

I'm using the non skid from bbc. After the second round, it is definitely turning my oyster white beige. I'm wondering if the grit may be breaking down from the thinner. It's not a horrible look if it was consistent, but its streaky and random in some places. At $50/quart for the paint delivered, I cant afford to experiment too much.

Any thoughts very welcome.
20210614_173402.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Non skid turning my oyster white beige

Post by fallguy1000 »

Try applying some onto a board and some onto a piece of clean glass, if available. If it does that away from the boat; it won't be the substrate.

How many days since the substrate went on? Most paints need like a week to flash off.

If you are sanding the substrate; it may be allowing some of the uncured paint solvents to flash off into the new stuff.

All I got.

Make sure to check any thinners you add to the non-skid. That could be it as well.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:54 pm Try applying some onto a board and some onto a piece of clean glass, if available. If it does that away from the boat; it won't be the substrate.

How many days since the substrate went on? Most paints need like a week to flash off.

If you are sanding the substrate; it may be allowing some of the uncured paint solvents to flash off into the new stuff.

All I got.

Make sure to check any thinners you add to the non-skid. That could be it as well.
It's not the substrate, it's def the grit. In places where I was less than perfect sprinkling it, it's streaky, really beige where the grit is heavy, oyster white where the grit is lighter.

It took a few days for the latest spot to turn beige. I sent a note to jeff to see if i can find out exactly what the grit is, doesn't taste like much. 8O

I may be looking at splashing the boat with some mis-matched non-skid colors. I just can't see a quick/easy/affordable way around it and that's about all I have time for at the moment. I don't have a clear path to get the whole thing beige and I can't keep putting oyster white over the beige areas hoping they stay white, that's what the experts call "crazy". I may re-tape the whole thing and hit the non-skid areas with some cheap deck paint color matched to my oyster white, so at least if I keep having issues, it won't be at $50/quart.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

It looks like crap. Sorry.

I'd try to paint it..

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Not sure how you did the grit, but I followed the how to. In the how to you add the grit to the paint before rolling. Using that method my oyster is … still oyster.

I will say that that the grit makes the bait look darker from the side. Little shadows from the grit. At noon it’s all one color though.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:34 pm It looks like crap. Sorry.
Beauty's in the eye of the be-painter and the be-paint-buyer.

Also, I can't believe you'd be that mean, Dan. :( When someone shows me a photo of something slightly-less-than-perfect that they worked hard on, I will always go out of my way to find something/anything positive to say about it, I don't laugh or tell them it looks like evidence from an explosion.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:37 pm Not sure how you did the grit, but I followed the how to. In the how to you add the grit to the paint before rolling. Using that method my oyster is … still oyster.
Copy that. That's not the method I used this time round. I used the "paint & sprinkle" method. I used your method on my drift boat and wasn't stoked on it, it was clumpy. Other than the beige, and Dan's cruel comment, it looks great and gives great grip.

Jaysen wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:37 pm I will say that that the grit makes the bait look darker from the side. Little shadows from the grit. At noon it’s all one color though.
Gonna make a broad assumption that you meant boat and not bait.

In the light of my basement I did spend some time trying to see if that's what it was, sidelight, but it ain't.

I'm going to run some tests but I'm becoming convinced it was due to too much thinner. The early areas I did, with little-to-no thinner show no signs of beige.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

BTW, I'm not actually sensitive, Dan is right, I'm just being a jackass.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Guy puts a lot of work and $$$ into his boat.

Just to have the additive make funny colors?

No apologies.

It is hardly cruel to say it ain't right.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I slipped with a wrench and my kopfer clipped the top of the transom. It made a bad sound. Hope I am not concussed.
647DABA8-E739-41D6-AD01-0A4C2B8BDB94.jpeg