OD18 Outdoor Storage Florida

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
chickenfarmer
New Poster
New Poster

OD18 Outdoor Storage Florida

Post by chickenfarmer »

Hi All,

Long time follower of this forum - I actually built an OD18 over about 8 months in 2018 and have been loving it (pictures to come)! We've fished out of it a lot in Buzzards Bay in Southeast Massachusetts and we trailer it down to the 10,000 Islands and Everglades National Park every year. We've made plenty of unforgettable family memories for which I am very grateful.

My question is this - my in-laws recently purchased a home outside of Orlando and they've been gracious enough to offer to allow us to store our boat down there. We'll probably use it quite a bit during the winter but not so much the summer when we're working in Massachusetts. Can anyone provide any insight as to how the boat should stand up to the Florida elements over time? We're busy most of the year and don't really want to have to spend a great deal of time fixing the boat on our vacation. It's got a brand new Tohatsu 60hp so mechanically I'm not too worried but more so about peeling paint, rotten wood, etc. There is no garage or carport for cover and the family would rather I didn't build anything. Covers, tarps, etc. should be fine. Thanks for any input!

chickenfarmer
New Poster
New Poster

Re: OD18 Outdoor Storage Florida

Post by chickenfarmer »

As promised pictures!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

chickenfarmer wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:03 am I actually built an OD18 over about 8 months in 2018

That is a nice, fast build!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

You have to have all surfaces glassed, based not on MY experience, but from reading other posters.

If you have a console or bench, for example, that is only paintedp; it will probably check.

If you took the time to glass it all with 4-6 oz; it will perform better. Another thing to consider is theft. You may want to wire in a tracking device.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

Nice looking Dory! I have mine under a 20' Shelter Logic canopy that cost around $300. The other thing would be to get a canvas top that would fit it, and make sure it is supported well to avoid collecting rain. The console will help a lot for that, but unless it is really tight elsewhere it will fill with water. It really depends on the coating/paint that you used on how well it will hold up to the Florida sun if left uncovered, and certainly don't leave it where it will collect leaves (especially from a freaking live oak!!!).
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:52 am and certainly don't leave it where it will collect leaves (especially from a freaking live oak!!!).
If you don’t heed this advice, buy more paint. You will need it to fix the mess those damnable treen make of you finish.

Pretty trees but almost as bad as willows.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

This worked well for my grady. Really heavy cavas tarp allowed for a lot of tension for wind and snow resistance, a poly tarp would have shredded pretty quickly. 2x6 ridge beam supported by 3 2x6 uprights.
20170926_113401.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Nice looking dory :!:
I have no idea of Florida storage needs but I will say if you tarp it make sure it drains very well. And you need to make sure the tarp can not work lose and flop around. The tarp will beat the paint off if given a chance.

txjm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by txjm »

I vote for the heavy tarp over a straight ridge board like the picture above with the bungies to keep it tight. I also like the ends being open. I had competition ski boats for a while and ran a cover with supports. The cover was never tight enough to keep the rain from puddling and once it starts you get a great little kiddie pool. the other thing to watch for on covers is the mold and mildew build up beneath the cover. With no ventilation and lots of moisture under the cover, lots of grungy stuff wants to grow. the open ended really tight cover over a solid ridge pole fixes the issues.
Chip

chickenfarmer
New Poster
New Poster

Post by chickenfarmer »

Wow thanks for all of the responses! cape man - how has your boat held up under the shelter logic cover - I think you're storing in Florida? I'll see if the inlaws will go for something like that although I'm thinking if it's a no-go a cover along the lines of what VT_Jeff and txjm have suggested seems pretty smart. I especially like the open ends to keep good airflow.