Page 1 of 1

Insurance

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:03 pm
by TomW1
Jacques I see a serious trend developing here in the builders not being able to acquire insurance. It may be time that you step in and sit down with a couple of nation wide insurers to explain your boats and get them to insure them. All of the builders love your boats, but if they learn they can't get insurance they may stop buying plans. I know I am sort of being a doom sayer, But it looks like a problem that is developing and needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

This is not a recent problem but goes all the way back to GuyP who launched his FS19 last year.

Regards hope you are well, Tom

Re: Insurance

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:31 pm
by Fuzz
A number of the insurance companies have revamped their rules. I have my SeaSport insured through Allstate. When I renewed I was told they no longer take boats over 30 years old but I was grandfathered in.

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:24 pm
by TomW1
Fuzz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:31 pm A number of the insurance companies have revamped their rules. I have my SeaSport insured through Allstate. When I renewed I was told they no longer take boats over 30 years old but I was grandfathered in.
Yea Fuzz I am grandfathered in at Geico. I just don't know what these new builders are going to do.

Tom

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:50 am
by fallguy1000
Guys need to stop saying they are wood boats.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:11 am
by wwsmith
I'm having the same problem after trying at least 12-15 different options. Haven't mentioned anything about homemade or wood or anything like that and still cannot get coverage. Progressive won't cover it because it has a state-issued VIN number. This is not only a Texas issue. Builders in other states have been dropped by progressive for the same reason. Tom makes a good point - we need to work together to figure this out. Otherwise, a future builder would be crazy to spend much money on a project like this. Have been told to try Charter Lakes. Called them twice last week and they referred me to an agent. Left messages both times and never got a call back. I'm going to keep trying and will let you know if I ever have any luck.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:22 am
by Jeff
wwsmith, Did Progressive tell you why they would no longer insure your boat, any specific information? Jeff

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:25 am
by Jeff
wwsmith, sorry let me clarify, the only reason that Progressive would not insure your boat was that it did not have a State issued Vin Number? Jeff

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:37 am
by Jaysen
Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:25 am wwsmith, sorry let me clarify, the only reason that Progressive would not insure your boat was that it did not have a State issued Vin Number? Jeff
This is correct. In the last 24mo there have been massive changes in marine insurance that I have not been able to figure out. This is killing folks in the marinas. The key changes I'm seeing:
1. Old boats (definition of old is variable) are becoming very difficult to ensure.
2. Non-traditional or non-commercial builds are uninsurable. This applies to boats deemed salvage that are not repaired by "certified facilities" (certification is undefinable as there is no certification that I can find).
3. Any boat that has a HID that is NOT issued via a manufacturer EVEN IF MANUFACTURER IS WELL KNOWN is not insurable. Basically any boat that you get a state HID issued which would be all of ours.

As I mentioned I'm seeing this with marina customers. Some are being dropped by major names at renewal time. No grandfathering in many cases.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:54 am
by fallguy1000
Try this gal.

https://www.heritagemarineinsurance.com/

I need to get a policy. She seemed plausible.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:03 am
by wwsmith
Yes, that's correct. Progressive insured it for the amount we requested at a fair price. Then two weeks later I was notified that our coverage would be cancelled because the boat was either "home made, salvaged, or had a state-issued HID". Now we're back to square one and I'm on my 3rd agent working on this. The first two tried all their sources with no luck.

To clarify - progressive offered to provide liability only, but we need full coverage.

Fallguy - tried them. She said none of her sources will provide coverage for something like our boats.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:26 am
by Dougster
I keep liability with Progressive only on my LB22. If stolen/sunk/smashed I'll just walk away...provided I can :) I think of small boats as toys whose loss can be eaten. The bigger builds and $$ expended make a different story, so this is a good thread.

Dougster

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:36 am
by Jeff
wwsmith, I am going to do some research on the HIN issue as well as talk to a few insurance providers and provide the members a summary. Before I start, did the State of Texas not issue you a title with a HIN/VIN number on it? Jeff

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:40 am
by jacquesmm
This is strange. I have two boats, a GF16 with a state issued HIN and a very old (1974) small fiberglass trawler designed by Jack Hargrave, old HIN from a company that does not exist anymore.
They are insured by Geico and I paid my premium a few weeks ago, no problem.
Each is insured not only for liability but also for a set value (I don't know the exact term) in case of loss.
They are also listed under an umbrella insurance.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:44 am
by wwsmith
Thanks, Jeff! Yes, I have a title with the ID number on it. Texas Parks and Wildlife inspects the boat, installs HID numbers, then issues the title. But I suppose at that point, the ID is recorded as being "state-issued" and not issued by a manufacturer.

I'd be happy to have the boat surveyed if that made the insurance companies happy, but even that doesn't seem to help.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:46 am
by wwsmith
Geico insured my LM18. When I called them to insure my new boat, they informed me that they were no longer insuring these boats. I asked about my existing boat and they said they will grandfather in all the existing boats, just no more new ones.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:52 am
by fallguy1000
jacquesmm wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:40 am This is strange. I have two boats, a GF16 with a state issued HIN and a very old (1974) small fiberglass trawler designed by Jack Hargrave, old HIN from a company that does not exist anymore.
Each is insured not only for liability but also for a set value (I don't know the exact term) in case of loss.
Agreed.

Strictly from an actuarial perspective, I would prefer to insure a guy who built his own boat and passed a survey 5 times over someone who wrote a check. People are almost always more careful when they built something nice. However, I have seen people build junk for which they can be careless. But nothing a surveyor would be involved with...

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:22 am
by VT_Jeff
wwsmith wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:03 am To clarify - progressive offered to provide liability only, but we need full coverage.
This is really all I'm after. I'd like to see it insured for damage while towing but I could live with just liability.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:02 pm
by VT_Jeff
Progressive will do liability-only for me for $100.00/year, just gave them my CC#. Will just need to make sure that if something happens to the boat, it's not my fault. What could go wrong?

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:44 pm
by TomW1
jacquesmm wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:40 am This is strange. I have two boats, a GF16 with a state issued HIN and a very old (1974) small fiberglass trawler designed by Jack Hargrave, old HIN from a company that does not exist anymore.
Jacques Geico has grandfathered all of their previous insured boats at least for now. They are no longer insuring any new boats.

Tom

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 pm
by Jaysen
TomW1 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:44 pm
Jacques Geico has grandfathered all of their previous insured boats at least for now. They are no longer insuring any new boats.

Tom
I’m beginning to see cancellations of contracts due to age for preexisting customers (previously grandfathered). I’ll look for things that are common on the cancellation notices to see if there is something beyond just “old boat”.

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:35 am
by Netpackrat
Have any of you guys tried Hagerty?

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:12 am
by Jaysen
Netpackrat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:35 am Have any of you guys tried Hagerty?
They are on my list for this week. I’m hoping they are not managing marine like auto. When I looked at there auto policy we are extremely limited in how much you can drive. Basically making a car a trailer Queen vs a usable vehicle.

I have to contact some companies today for work so I hope to get more info soon.

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:22 am
by Jeff
All, Hagerty is continuing to insure custom/home made boats. I spoke with them yesterday. Here is their information:

Hagerty Insurance
Marine Division

I am continuing my research and will circle back with more information. Jeff

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:42 am
by wwsmith
Thanks, Jeff. That's good to know. One agent tried Hagerty for me with no luck. We're currently trying American Modern. They took my money...we'll see what happens in a few weeks after their underwriters pick through it all. Will keep yall posted.

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:25 am
by Jeff
wwsmith, I am continuing research and will get back to you guys with some results by the end of the week. Glad you have likely found a insurance group!!! Please put the contact information for American Modern. Jeff

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:18 pm
by Jaysen
Hagerty is the only group that seems to be handling the self built/repair (salvage) and old boats so far b

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:15 am
by VT_Jeff
I just got a quote from Hagerty. 212/year for 6000 agreed value. I need to see if we can split that at 2500 for the motor and 3500 for the hull. The breakdown is:

$122 Damage insurance
$50 liability
$20 uninsured boater
$20 towing

Here's the jist of my application, what I filled out
MyApp.PNG
Here's their processed version that was included with my quote, you can see they changed my hull material to just "wood":
Capture.PNG
Progressive wanted $100/year for just liability, so I think this is a pretty good deal.

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:29 am
by VT_Jeff
This is what I submitted for photos with my application.
20191215_075135.jpg
20200707_205129.jpg
20210524_104855.jpg

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:34 am
by Jeff
VT_Jeff, thank you for posting the insurance information. I also spoke with Hagerty and they confirmed they are happy to insure our boats!! They did say they require a Boat Design for their evaluation process. Did they require you to submit a copy of the plans?? Jeff

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:38 am
by VT_Jeff
Jeff wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:34 am Did they require you to submit a copy of the plans?? Jeff
They did not, at least not yet. I'm still at the quote stage though, we'll see if the going gets tougher from here.

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:19 pm
by fallguy1000
Heritage is writing a build policy for me. I applied today. But she told me I will need to insure thru Lloyds or something like it.

Hagerty has a length limit.

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:43 pm
by Jeff
All, I have been doing research with the insurance companies to determine if they are continuing to insure our (home built) boats. I spoke with Progressive & Geico representatives here in Florida both of which confirmed they would provide liability insurance for our boats but neither would confirm that they would insure any further than liability coverage without a completed application. I also spoke with Hagerty who confirmed they are providing full coverage insurance for all boats but a completed application must ne completed with a copy of the Design Plans submitted with the application. I can also now confirm that Hagerty will NOT insure any vessel over 26 feet in length. (One of our Forum members went through the complete process only to find that they stopped insuring vessels at a maximum of 26 feet). I have spoken with a senior insurance representative from a large insurance organization who specializes in insuring marinas and boat yards. He advised that nothing had changed in his industry and that there were no new rules required of marinas or boat yards. He did advise that the marine industry was at its capacity to build and deliver boats here in the US and insurance agencies have their choice of what to insure or not too. I will continue talking with representatives from the insurance companies and update you in the near future. Should you be advised of anything new regarding the marine insurance industry, please post here. Jeff

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:34 pm
by wwsmith
Thank you, Jeff!

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:28 pm
by alex2293
I'm planning to start a build in the next few months and the insurance issue might be a major road block for me.

I live in Quebec and so far I contacted without success:
Hagerty, seems to be affiliated with MD Marine in canada.
Heritage Marine, who told me they have had a lot of inquiries about homebuilt boats recently and they don't even know where to refer me.
Skippers Plan, their underwrite won't insure homebuilt boats.
Elco, I spoke with a guy who built a Glen-L mini tug and was only able to insure it through his home insurance for liability only. This is usually limited to 25hp.

I'm not sure I can afford to build and use a boat like the NV23 without insurance.

I'll follow this thread closely.

Thanks
Alex

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:43 pm
by Jeff
All, As promised, we have continued our research regarding the insurance companies that will insure our boats. Please review the companies listed on the website recreationalwatercraft.com:

Link: http://recreationalwatercraft.com/boat_ ... panies.htm

Also, I apologize that I have not brought this company to everyone's attention as they insure all boats: BoatUs.com

Our research continues!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:06 pm
by alex2293
Good news! It looks like Safe Harbour can underwrite Pacific Marine in Quebec.

They told me that they insure custom built boats, but they need a copy of a marine survey done by a certified marine inspector.

I told them that I was planning to build a boat frome Boat Builder Central plans. I specified that is a fiberglass/epoxy/marine plywood hull.

They can't confirm they will insure without having a look at the marine survey. I guess I have to take a leap of faith.

I think I'll ask Safe Harbour for a marine inspector reference in my region. I'd like to know what to look for during the build.

Thanks
Alex

Thanks.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:45 pm
by VT_Jeff
I got my policy with Hagerty into effect today, same details as I posted above, and the engine is covered.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:20 pm
by Jeff
Guys, Sorry, it appears my link to BoatUS did not work. Please have a look at their insurance program as well.

The list at recreationalwatercraft is long and should be reviewed for insurance carriers as well!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:25 pm
by fallguy1000
Rumor has Markel is covering one offs. I gotta call them.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:28 pm
by gstanfield
Markel is who I use for all my boats and motorcycles and I’ve been very pleased

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:28 pm
by TomW1
alex2293 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:06 pm Good news! It looks like Safe Harbour can underwrite Pacific Marine in Quebec.

They told me that they insure custom built boats, but they need a copy of a marine survey done by a certified marine inspector.

I told them that I was planning to build a boat frome Boat Builder Central plans. I specified that is a fiberglass/epoxy/marine plywood hull.

They can't confirm they will insure without having a look at the marine survey. I guess I have to take a leap of faith.

I think I'll ask Safe Harbour for a marine inspector reference in my region. I'd like to know what to look for during the build.

Thanks
Alex

Thanks.
Alex don't mention plywood, it is a fiberglass composite boat. Tom

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:35 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

I was just shopping around for boat insurance as well. MD Marine / Hagerty in Ontario are willing to insure but I do need Penny to be officially surveyed beforehand, which I will get done.

All Bateau.com info, photos, build thread etc was provided to them so they had no issues to insure. Another company turned me down because of being home-built.

I will still shop around for another quote however. MD quote is $600 which covers loss and liability.

Marc

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 pm
by APLJaK
FWIW from a Canadian experience.

I went to try and insure my newly launched CX19 at an agency run by a firend of mine. Right off the bat I was told Accredited Marine Survey required before anyone would touch it. SAMS https://www.marinesurvey.org/ survey seems to be the only option. Luckily, I have a SAMS surveyor close by. The survey took half a day and cost me about $400 ($20/foot) plus travel expenses. The actual survey document is pretty nice to have and quite comprehensive considering it is non invasive.

I provided lots of construction pictures and details. I also was very careful to follow all ABYC building rules that I could find. (safety equipment properly installed, all wiring run neatly and properly fused, fuel system intact and all connections double clamped, one bilge pump on 24hr circuit, etc.). There was still some minor issues that I have to take care of.

As far as the Hull ID number, you need one! I made my own and attached it as per requirements (upper starboard stern) stamped on an aluminum plate and semi-permanently attached to the hull. I used the basic syntax for a manufactured hull ABC 12345 A1 21 where the first three letters are the manufacturer code, the next five are the hull serial number and the A1 is the month/year of construction and the 21 is the model year. Of course, you will likely not have an assigned manufacturer code, so in my case I made it up. The Marine Surveyor used my serial number in his report without pause.

FWIW, I also have this number in various locations throughout the boat so that if it ever does go missing, I can positively identify it.

So far, it seems that I have satisfied my insurance agent. I still do not actually have insurance so I may come up against an issue yet. If nothing else, the marine survey gives a nice unbiased report as to boat condition at time of the survey.

Hope some of this helps someone.

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:08 pm
by APLJaK
A couple of sentences from my Marine Survey that I am very proud of and hope help in valuation and insuring of the boat:

"This boat has been custom built off professional boat plans with a HIGH degree of professionalism and attention to detail."

"Each layer is individually laminated, and all air voids/hull cavities have been injected with foam, creating an incredibly watertight buoyant hull that will outlast any current-day production molded, polyester based fiberglass hull."

At least the second comment is a reflection on the excellent design of these boats and makes me very happy I chose the CX19.

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:34 pm
by VT_Jeff
APLJaK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:08 pm A couple of sentences from my Marine Survey that I am very proud of and hope help in valuation and insuring of the boat:

"This boat has been custom built off professional boat plans with a HIGH degree of professionalism and attention to detail."

"Each layer is individually laminated, and all air voids/hull cavities have been injected with foam, creating an incredibly watertight buoyant hull that will outlast any current-day production molded, polyester based fiberglass hull."

At least the second comment is a reflection on the excellent design of these boats and makes me very happy I chose the CX19.
Now that is a positive review! Awesome!

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:39 pm
by Fuzz
That part of the survey needs to be framed and hung on your wall :!:

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:19 pm
by jonnymac
Or do you just apply for your own manufacturers code 🤪
https://uscgboating.org/manufacturers/?m=m

Good info though! thanks for sharing.

edited for grsmmer 🤦‍♂️
APLJaK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 pm FWIW from a Canadian experience.

I went to try and insure my newly launched CX19 at an agency run by a firend of mine. Right off the bat I was told Accredited Marine Survey required before anyone would touch it. SAMS https://www.marinesurvey.org/ survey seems to be the only option. Luckily, I have a SAMS surveyor close by. The survey took half a day and cost me about $400 ($20/foot) plus travel expenses. The actual survey document is pretty nice to have and quite comprehensive considering it is non invasive.

I provided lots of construction pictures and details. I also was very careful to follow all ABYC building rules that I could find. (safety equipment properly installed, all wiring run neatly and properly fused, fuel system intact and all connections double clamped, one bilge pump on 24hr circuit, etc.). There was still some minor issues that I have to take care of.

As far as the Hull ID number, you need one! I made my own and attached it as per requirements (upper starboard stern) stamped on an aluminum plate and semi-permanently attached to the hull. I used the basic syntax for a manufactured hull ABC 12345 A1 21 where the first three letters are the manufacturer code, the next five are the hull serial number and the A1 is the month/year of construction and the 21 is the model year. Of course, you will likely not have an assigned manufacturer code, so in my case I made it up. The Marine Surveyor used my serial number in his report without pause.

FWIW, I also have this number in various locations throughout the boat so that if it ever does go missing, I can positively identify it.

So far, it seems that I have satisfied my insurance agent. I still do not actually have insurance so I may come up against an issue yet. If nothing else, the marine survey gives a nice unbiased report as to boat condition at time of the survey.

Hope some of this helps someone.