BlackFin to BlackPearl Arrr

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: BlackFin to BlackPearl Arrr

Post by fallguy1000 »

Finding rot is relatively easy.

Usually, it becomes very evident. When you are curious, try an awl. If you can stab thru the glass; she's rotten.

The transom has a lot of holes. Open them, remove the fittings and stab sideways. If the awl goes in; the wood is bad. You can test some regular, good wood to get a feel for the mushiness.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

JDP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JDP »

Had a chance to break her down a bit. The engines are tucked under the gunnel a bit and I was thinking the easiest way to get them out would be to go ahead and remove the top cap. I was going to remove the tower first and then the engines but maybe it would be best to leave the tower as support for the the cap while it’s separated?

Is there anything special about supporting the hull when the cap is removed? Happy 4th!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

It is my understanding that when the cap is removed many hulls will spread out. Some do it slowly over time. At the very least I would take a bunch of good measurements. And if you have to gut the hull it will be worse as things get really floppy on most hulls with no internal structure.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

A boat can twist with the cap off. No personal experience, but heard about people not getting them back on. If you are able, make some placeholders and make sure the boat won't twist in the y direction for n aft (support bottom well and keep it down).
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

JDP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JDP »

Removed the rub rail today and it is a hard “Pass” on removing the cap. It would destroy it if I tried. I was able to remove fixed pieces of the engine cowlings giving more room for engine removal. So far so good.
Attachments
54BF57CE-9713-47D1-9F88-889A3678A072.jpeg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Well I would say you have plenty to do to keep you busy for a while.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

JDP, do you absolutely need the cap off?? Jeff

JDP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JDP »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:52 am Well I would say you have plenty to do to keep you busy for a while.
:lol: I think I am up to about 35 "OMG" now!

cape man

Post by cape man »

Until I saw some of the restorations here I would have never believed you could go from where you are right now to a newly restored beautiful thing! Take it a chunk at a time. Looks like you might be able to lift those engines out without taking the cap off. Might be some tricky maneuvering.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

JDP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JDP »

Jeff wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:59 am JDP, do you absolutely need the cap off?? Jeff
No Sir, I do not. It would be more than I would want to do for my first project.

I am just brainstorming on redesigning the cuddy for a few conveniences with the hope of maybe being on the hook for a day or so.