BlackFin to BlackPearl Arrr

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: BlackFin to BlackPearl Arrr

Post by fallguy1000 »

What year is the boat please?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Be darn sure to brace the sides before pulling the cap. If not she will spread on you and the cap will never fit back on. And if you have to cut out the stringers make sure the bottom is well supported in many places or it will lose its shape. I think I would only cut out 3-4 foot of stingers before getting the new transom in. That way you will have at least one thing helping to hold the shape.

JDP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JDP »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:41 am What year is the boat please?

JDP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JDP »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:31 am Be darn sure to brace the sides before pulling the cap.
Yes sir, I have concrete coming in a couple of weeks for a nice floor to jig the hull (inside and out) before removing anything. Thanks, John

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Not sure I mentioned, but make sure the hull is all glass before proceeding. If she is a core boat, as bad as it looked; it'd be garbage if there was a core almost fer ser.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

JDP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JDP »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:47 am Not sure I mentioned, but make sure the hull is all glass before proceeding. If she is a core boat, as bad as it looked; it'd be garbage if there was a core almost fer ser.
Ahh, good point. There is no core in the hull sides, I know for sure. Looking at the lay-up of the bottom, you can see the indentions of the strakes. So I am sure we are all glass.

Chessie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chessie »

Is this a 25’ Combi?

If so this boat along with the 24’ or the Albemarle equivalents (Same boats) are on my short list, along with a Seacraft. Planning a total rebuild with a conversion to twin outboards is on the slate

While a new Bateau design was on the table, after alot of research these Blackfins have blown me away. Start from scratch and build or start with a hull and build.

Chris
Chris in Maryland

JDP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JDP »

Chessie wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:19 pm Is this a 25’ Combi?

If so this boat along with the 24’ or the Albemarle equivalents (Same boats) are on my short list, along with a Seacraft. Planning a total rebuild with a conversion to twin outboards is on the slate

While a new Bateau design was on the table, after alot of research these Blackfins have blown me away. Start from scratch and build or start with a hull and build.
Hi Chris,
Yes she is a Combi. And at the moment, I am just thinking on how I am going to design the boat around the hull. I too like the idea of having a shell, so to speak, to start from. My goal at the moment is to build a well rounded (fishing, fun, cruising) boat that my family and I can enjoy.

JDP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JDP »

Finally have concrete to work on. In the process of designing a gantry for lifting.
Attachments
4A19C20D-D4BC-421B-9291-2B71F19FCA6D.jpeg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Nice! That will make the whole project much nicer.