Supplies substituted for a D15

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
llargent86
New Poster
New Poster

Supplies substituted for a D15

Post by llargent86 »

Jacques
I contacted Reid and he pointed me to you. Some how I ordered the plywood to build the Indian River Skiff, and I ended up with the following:
2 pc. 1/4" plywood
3Pc 3/8" Plywood
2Pc 3/4" plywood

No 1/2" plywood
Can I use the 3/4" in place of the 1/2"
Is there any way to substituter the 3/8" for the 1/2"
Or any Ideas?

Lee

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Supplies substituted for a D15

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, you can use 3/4" instead of 1/2". Those panels are flat or almost. Close to the tip of the bow, you may have to kerf if the 3/4" does not bend.
A couple of transversal slits halfway deep should take care of that.

Looking at the nesting drawing:
1/4" for the hull sides = 2 sheets
1/4" for the benches sides = 1 sheet
3/8 for the decks = 2 sheets
3/4 for the bottom and transom instead of 1/2" = 2 sheets.

My total is not the same than yours. Do you use 3/8 for the bench sides? That will be fine.

Another possibility is to replace the 1/2" with 3/8. That is enough for the bottom but not for the transom. You could ad a clamping board at the transom or double the 3/8 at the top of the transom. There is enough leftover to do that.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

llargent86
New Poster
New Poster

More questions

Post by llargent86 »

Thanks a bunch for the advice, I will use the 3/4" for the bottom and the transom
A few other questions.
You said I can make some scarf cuts across the 3/4' about 1/2 way through to help get it to bend. Do I make them on the top or under the board.
Also, we are making this boat in a high school summer school class, My students would like the standard 3 bench version and we see it calls for a Kelson when using benches. What is used for it and can use tell me why it is needed for benches. (Good information for students - and instructor) . Thanks again for all your help.

Working class
Lake Roosevelt High School
Mr. L

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: More questions

Post by jacquesmm »

llargent86 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:07 pm Thanks a bunch for the advice, I will use the 3/4" for the bottom and the transom
A few other questions.
You said I can make some scarf cuts across the 3/4' about 1/2 way through to help get it to bend. Do I make them on the top or under the board.
We call them kerfs. Those are slits in the plywood, about half depth, on the convex side (outside). Where ever you have kerfs, you must cover with fiberglass.

Also, we are making this boat in a high school summer school class, My students would like the standard 3 bench version and we see it calls for a Kelson when using benches. What is used for it and can use tell me why it is needed for benches. (Good information for students - and instructor) . Thanks again for all your help.

Working class
Lake Roosevelt High School
Mr. L
The idea is to have longitudinal stiffness. The hull sides give you some but the long bench sides are also a stiffener. If you build the thwarts (seats across) and no benches, you lose that stiffener. I recommend to add either one keelson or a pair of runners on the bottom to compensate. This is particularly important on a flat bottom planing hull.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com