Teak Veneer Instrument Pod

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Teak Veneer Instrument Pod

Post by fallguy1000 »

You basically only need a plug Ron.

You can make it with mdf and wood just as well. But you'll want to epoxy coat the mdf and fair it and epoxy coat it or paint to about 400 sanded.

Don't mess with cutting the mold or the part. You don't need any coosa. The entire dash will just be fiberglass with a teak overlay. If you are worried about bolting or screws holding; just add another layer of 1708. Each layer is 0.050" thick, so 6 layers is about 0.300" plus the teak and the thixo and fairing should be closish to 1/2" thick. Then you bond that in with glass tapes and fairing. Most fiberglass seams, if not tabbed, will crack, so you have to plan your tabbing.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You can also make a female takeoff of the windshield and then build the male plug from it. Foam core works really nice for taking off or the plug. Bond it to a big old piece of plywood like a strongback.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I’ve done some veneer work and the compound curve on the back is going to be a challenge. well it looks like a compound curve, if isn’t that’s great. you are probably going to have to vacuum bag it to ensure it adheres all the way around. going to want the longest cure epoxy you can use. there are veneer conditioners to help make it more flexible. I would practice some with a cheaper veneer to ensure it is going to come out the way you think. in fine furniture on compound bends they often hide the fact that they have multiple pieces of veneer to do the curve, but that is an art for sure.

I also think a veneer is going to be better as you won’t have to worry about seasonal wood movement which is part of what increases the maintenance of solid wood on boats. also, given there is most likely a long term embargo on genuine teak, solid wood is going to be expensive, a great similar species is iroko. European boat builders have been using it for years as a teak replacement.

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Thanks so much for your advice JohnnyMac! I will definitely practice first and hoping not for a compound curve, more of a straight roll. Are there any tricks to using multiple pieces of veneer? Also, I don’t plan on doing the area under the windshield, so just the pod. Any advice or tricks on hiding the transition from gel coat fiberglass to wood veneer?