Page 1 of 1

How to join long sheets

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:49 am
by jbo_c
How have y’all found it best/easiest to join sheets with fiberglass splices? Thinking specifically about:
1. How to keep long joins straight and true on the sides. ie if joining three sheets, how do yo make sure the 24’ side is straight when you’re done? I can always join, then snap a chalk line and cut, but that’s potentially wasteful.
2. How to flip multiple sheets after taping one side without folding at the tape line.

Jbo

Re: How to join long sheets

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:40 pm
by cape man
Don't over think it. I just laid mine down on the floor and eye-balled the lines. If your cuts are right at the joints you should be fine. Make sure to put some plastic underneath the joints when glassing them. Ask me how I know!!! :roll: When fully cured, just gently turn them over to do the other side. An extra set of hands helps.

Are you joining side panels?

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:14 pm
by jbo_c
Side panels and bottom panels.

Done it before. It’s just a little nerve-wracking turning them over. Thought maybe somebody had a good idea on how to turn them over.

Jbo

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:29 pm
by VT_Jeff
jbo_c wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:14 pm It’s just a little nerve-wracking turning them over.
I get that. I'd use some plywood scraps and C-clamps at the edge of each joint so you're not torquing the joints themselves when lifting etc. That would be 8 pieces of scrap and 16 clamps for the 2 joints.

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:40 pm
by piperdown
VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:29 pm
jbo_c wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:14 pm It’s just a little nerve-wracking turning them over.
I get that. I'd use some plywood scraps and C-clamps at the edge of each joint so you're not torquing the joints themselves when lifting etc. That would be 8 pieces of scrap and 16 clamps for the 2 joints.
I used scrap 2x4s. 2 4ft sections across the splice, top edge and bottom edge, clamped in place and then flipped (obviously after the fg and epoxy had cured). This was on a 16 foot panel.

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:49 pm
by VT_Jeff
piperdown wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:40 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:29 pm
I used scrap 2x4s. 2 4ft sections across the splice, top edge and bottom edge, clamped in place and then flipped (obviously after the fg and epoxy had cured). This was on a 16 foot panel.
That is probably the ideal method right there.

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:17 pm
by jbo_c
That’s what I’m thinking. But funny enough, it did t cross my mind until after I posted the question.

:)

Jbo

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:41 am
by jonnymac
there is no guarantee the plywood is a perfect rectangle. its close, so just lay the sheets down with the edges evenly together. if you wanted to verify you could measure the two diagonals of the the giant rectangle and adjust until they the same measurement.