How to join long sheets

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

How to join long sheets

Post by jbo_c »

How have y’all found it best/easiest to join sheets with fiberglass splices? Thinking specifically about:
1. How to keep long joins straight and true on the sides. ie if joining three sheets, how do yo make sure the 24’ side is straight when you’re done? I can always join, then snap a chalk line and cut, but that’s potentially wasteful.
2. How to flip multiple sheets after taping one side without folding at the tape line.

Jbo

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: How to join long sheets

Post by cape man »

Don't over think it. I just laid mine down on the floor and eye-balled the lines. If your cuts are right at the joints you should be fine. Make sure to put some plastic underneath the joints when glassing them. Ask me how I know!!! :roll: When fully cured, just gently turn them over to do the other side. An extra set of hands helps.

Are you joining side panels?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Side panels and bottom panels.

Done it before. It’s just a little nerve-wracking turning them over. Thought maybe somebody had a good idea on how to turn them over.

Jbo

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

jbo_c wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:14 pm It’s just a little nerve-wracking turning them over.
I get that. I'd use some plywood scraps and C-clamps at the edge of each joint so you're not torquing the joints themselves when lifting etc. That would be 8 pieces of scrap and 16 clamps for the 2 joints.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:29 pm
jbo_c wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:14 pm It’s just a little nerve-wracking turning them over.
I get that. I'd use some plywood scraps and C-clamps at the edge of each joint so you're not torquing the joints themselves when lifting etc. That would be 8 pieces of scrap and 16 clamps for the 2 joints.
I used scrap 2x4s. 2 4ft sections across the splice, top edge and bottom edge, clamped in place and then flipped (obviously after the fg and epoxy had cured). This was on a 16 foot panel.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

piperdown wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:40 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:29 pm
I used scrap 2x4s. 2 4ft sections across the splice, top edge and bottom edge, clamped in place and then flipped (obviously after the fg and epoxy had cured). This was on a 16 foot panel.
That is probably the ideal method right there.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

That’s what I’m thinking. But funny enough, it did t cross my mind until after I posted the question.

:)

Jbo

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

there is no guarantee the plywood is a perfect rectangle. its close, so just lay the sheets down with the edges evenly together. if you wanted to verify you could measure the two diagonals of the the giant rectangle and adjust until they the same measurement.