Is there a difference between fiberglass tape and fiberglass cloth?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
JohnRennalds
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JohnRennalds »

Hello!

Please excuse my ignorance if this question doesn't make sense, but I can't for the life of me find any information out about it online (and yes, I am a first time builder so please be nice ;-) )

Or is the only difference that the tape has the adhesive on it so you can stick it directly onto the wood to keep it in place? And if so - does that mean then you could cut strips of the fiberglass cloth, lay that down and use that as the tape, stuck down with epoxy?

Reason being is that I live in Indonesia and it's hard enough to find Biaxial Fiberglass Cloth! Let alone the tape!

Thank you for your time, any insights would be highly appreciated!:)

- J

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Is there a difference between fiberglass tape and fiberglass cloth?

Post by piperdown »

The only difference is the width. Tapes can be 4-6 inches wide, cloth is usually 50 inches wide (at least here) but some specialty companies could have narrower or wider.

You can cut tape from the cloth instead of ordering it separate. Just order extra cloth and cut whatever width you need for tape.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

JohnRennalds
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JohnRennalds »

Oh wow that's amazing! You are a life saver :)

I thought because it was called "tape" it had some sort of adhesive attached to it, no wonder I spent all day researching to try and find it here to no avail!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

JohnRennalds wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:13 am Oh wow that's amazing! You are a life saver :)

I thought because it was called "tape" it had some sort of adhesive attached to it, no wonder I spent all day researching to try and find it here to no avail!
Nope, it is just precut glass to a smaller width for you. I had that same thought (that it was sticky) when I started, and I think it is a common misconception. It is great you asked, the forum here is super friendly and loves helping people starting out like you and me. If you post pictures and progress as you go, they can often spot things you could do differently or easier or even catch a dangerous mistake you might not recognize, all in all a very helpful forum here :)

Back to the tape, 6 inches is typical, but there are other widths of 'tape' as well. The biggest advantage to buying it cut and rolled already is it has very clean cut edges and is easier to use, it is hard to cut them yourself without getting little pulls and snags in the fiber and the rolls will be less tidy, still very functional and structurally sound when you use it though :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

All that is correct, the only difference is the edges. It is much easier to work with the selvedged edges but those edges are more difficult to fair, they create a step. Experienced laminators prefer to work with the frayed edges in places that must be faired.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I read in a book that a good way to go was to cut your own tape from cloth, but cut it on the diagonal, so you got tape without the hard edges and with 45degree strands. Great idea. Absolute disaster for me.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:47 pm I read in a book that a good way to go was to cut your own tape from cloth, but cut it on the diagonal, so you got tape without the hard edges and with 45degree strands. Great idea. Absolute disaster for me.
Terrible advice. The tapes would have no selvage.

If t came from biax; you could create a selvage; maybe. I never tried it. The stitching would then be on angles and sewn, so nope, no selvage.

Only can be done with mat backed glass well. And still no edge, but then not needed.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Since I bought my biaxial cloth in a big roll I did not buy tape. I've been cutting tape off of the roll. Most of the time there are frayed bits and pieces that need to be faired. Aside from that it's fine. In areas where appearance matters I accept the extra fairing. I have a strip disc on a grinder. Makes quick work of it if you don't mind the dust. I would probably just buy the tape next time, and get less cloth.