CV16 Plans 24 years later

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
andreas2306
New Poster
New Poster

CV16 Plans 24 years later

Post by andreas2306 »

Hi all from Greece.
I just received my second copy of CV16 Caravelle plans. I have build the first one on the summer of 98. My first build was the D4 from the free plans as to learn the stich and glue technique. I used pricey materials for that one, ocume plywood and expencive epoxy. Still expencive in Greece after all these years! It was a nice boat but too small for my weight! So I gave it to an uncle of mine and decided to go bigger.
I decided on the caravelle and I build her on my vacation in 15 days using cheap exterior plywood and polyester resin and mat fiberglass! cheap exterior paint for the hull and varnish for the deck. I used it as a motor boat with a 9.9 yamaha wich was too much for it! It was build on the heavy side as only 10mm and 20mm plywood was available.
I used the boat for maybe five years partialy with only one refreshing of the paint on the hull. Nothing broke, nothing delaminated or rot! Even with eight people aboard sitting on one side the boat refused to capsize! Then I stop using it and it stayed under a pine tree for many years with a tarp and usually full of water. Still it was holding on! Until the tree decided it didnt want a large branch wich fell and broke the boat.
So after nearly 24 years since the first caravelle and some little cayacs and sailboats in those years, I decided to build her again to finally sail her and build it the proper way!
And what a surprise when i recieved the plans! The caravelle has grown too! Its a little longer and quite beamier now! I have the old handdrawn set of plans and they dont correspond! I feel the changes are for the best. I like the increased beam because here in Greece where I live we dont have lakes, so the sea is a little rough and the wind is changing rapintly. I intend to build it over the winter to have it for next summer if covid permits!
I am thinking of building her with a balanced lug sail wich I have used a lot and I like the simplicity of it, maybe with a tabernackle for ease of raising the mast. Maybe I build a wooden round birdsmouth mast for it! Anyway, I hope I will be posting my progress when I begin building and have the chance to meet many of you people online!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: CV16 Plans 24 years later

Post by narfi »

Awesome story! You have any old pictures of your boat to go with it?
I hope you do post lots of info and pictures as you build to, we love watching plywood and glass as they turn into beautiful functional boats ;)

andreas2306
New Poster
New Poster

Post by andreas2306 »

I will search to find some! And then I have to scan them... no digital photografy then! But for the new built i hope I will post a lot!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

As Narfi said this will be a lot of fun to watch. We love our boat builds with pictures of course :D