Interesting boats

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Interesting boats

Post by Fuzz »

I thought it might be nice to have one place for us to post any and all boats we find interesting for any reason. Here is a starter.
Not sure what it is? Motor sailor, schooner with stabilizing sails :doh: Hard to see but it does have two short masts.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Interesting boats

Post by Jeff »

Fuzz, I have never seen a boat similar to that one, very interesting!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

They have to be stabilizing. I can't differentiate the background masts from the ones for that hull though. Is it possible one of them is for a lifting boom, not an actual sail? that would make more sense.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:36 pm I thought it might be nice to have one place for us to post any and all boats we find interesting for any reason. Here is a starter.
There is such a thread already, but it hasn't been used in a long time:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28610&start=130
Hank

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The masts are hard to see in the picture. They did have sails on them. The other different thing is it looked like the pilot house was totally separate from the living area.

I thought there was a thread already but did not find it. Thanks Hank for finding it. I will use it and not this one.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

To me that looks like an old halibut schooner. They were built mostly in the early 1900s up until around 1930, I think. They were used for longlining in the Bering Sea for the most part,as far as I know. They're motor boats, "schooner" is just a nickname. You see them as far south as Seattle once in a while but they were more of a BC north coast and Alaskan phenomenon. There can't be many left.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I have a soft spot for the old schooners but I did not think this was one. I am headed to Seward again in a couple of days so if she is still there I will try to get a better look at her.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Well quite possibly not; that's just what the lines say to me. I'm hardly an expert on halibut schooners or anything, I've just seen a few and that's what it made me think of.

Rear cabin, classic upswept sheer, couple of stubby masts...I don't know, that's just halibut schooner design cues for me.

But it could equally be a pleasure boat built for a guy like me who just lists off those three elements of design, and ends up with something vaguely similar. You have probably seen more of them than me.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349