Board disk space issues

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.

Which solution to the storage problem would you prefer?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:06 pm

Automatic image compression - I know it will reduce the resolution of the image and I need to make sure I have full resolution images stored elsewhere
100%
Force all images into secondary storage - I will need to upload my images differently and BBC will push them to amazon; BBC will no longer allow attachments on posts.
No votes
Sign me up to contribute - I'm willing to help pay for the forums a bit. We can't compromise the quality of images or the ease of use.
No votes

Total votes: 7

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Board disk space issues

Post by jonnymac »

It seems fine, I wish people would post images that physically big because its nice to zoom in and see actual details. And despite the encoding when you zoom in there is still plenty of detail.

my question is about the old photos that are already of marginal quality just due to the cameras they are taken with for instance some of the 10-12 year old threads. how do they look when you do the same thing. my worry is there are some old threads that represent either the only boat of that type on this forum or maybe the only one finished of that type, and it would be terrible to lose those images.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Good point by jm. No reason to compress a low res image.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The I love you images that are being removed are the ones that are not really in any db (phoBB or coppermine).

As to old images and resolution… if a file is larger than 1M it will get resized. Resizing is just enforcing a 800px width on the image. While this loses some resolution it won’t make any resolution to an already low res image from an old camera. If you have a specific example I’ll use it as another test object.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:01 pm Good point by jm. No reason to compress a low res image.
If the image is low res and over a meg, there’s a good reason to compress it. Think about it and it will make sense.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I got nothing.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:06 pm I got nothing.
Low res camera but large file means lossy format. That means pixel averaging. This shows up as blocky or grainy images. By reducing the pixel density via a resize (modern algorithm that is effectively lossless) you wind up with an image that looks much better.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I went back and looked at some of the ones I was thinking of and they are tiny files sizes like 100 to 150 kB. so no worries ther