Any Trailer experts out there?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Any Trailer experts out there?

Post by fallguy1000 »

I think an axle upgrade is best.

Gets you new shafts. Ain't cheap unless you can use old hubs.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

After I get the boat off the trailer I will look things over good and make up my mind. Looks like about $4000 to upgrade and around 10K for a new trailer. Oh well I guess it is only money :roll:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:11 pm After I get the boat off the trailer I will look things over good and make up my mind. Looks like about $4000 to upgrade and around 10K for a new trailer. Oh well I guess it is only money :roll:
My custom built trailer cost me about US$17,000 :help: - but it has now survived 4 trips to the Northern Territory! 8O

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

BarraMan wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:53 pm That is not a fully load load sharing suspension.
Lee,

I am not sure I agree, there is a leveler between the springs that pivots on the frame. You mention "fully load sharing" which may refer to a term I'm not aware of. Usually, either the suspension is load sharing, or it isn't. It is hard to tell, but it looks like the opposite side of the springs are "slipper" type and just rest on the underside of the frame, hence why there are no shackles at the leveler like what is on your trailer.
Fuzz wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:30 pm
I am not so sure that the spring/suspension set up is causing the bearing issues. I would wager that the spindles/axle are worn from damaged bearing. Once the spindle is damaged the bearings will be prone spinning and wearing oddly. You can test that a couple ways. Slide a bearing on the bare spindle and if there is any play, then you have a problem. It should be a snug fit. You could also use a caliper/micrometer to measure the spindle versus the spec for the bearings, be sure to check in a handful of locations/rotations.

That is my $.02.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Thanks guys! Now I have more info to work with. Next move is to get the boat off the trailer (pain in the butt) where I can look things over good.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I am not sure I agree, there is a leveler between the springs that pivots on the frame.
Yes, I agree! It’s not easy to see but looking at it again there does appear to be some sort of pivot point interconnecting the springs.

Perhaps a couple of new axles will solve the problem.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:48 pm
I am not sure I agree, there is a leveler between the springs that pivots on the frame.
Yes, I agree! It’s not easy to see but looking at it again there does appear to be some sort of pivot point interconnecting the springs.

Perhaps a couple of new axles will solve the problem.
If that is a leveler... is it frozen? that would prevent load distribution.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

My knowledge of trailers is very limited.Thus me asking questions as I am sure many of you know much more than me. At this point I really need to get the boat off the trailer so I can look at everything much better.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yep Fizz that will be your starting point. Then checking that everything is to spec and that the axle spring coupler is not frozen It normally has a grease fitting on it. If you need to replace one or both axles do a search for boat trailer axles to shop for the best price and to get what you need if you do not need to replace everything.

Best wishes for success in your problem solving.

Many regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

From here the spindle looks rusty which ain't good. You might be able to just get new spindles welded on if the axle itself is okay.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman