GV10 build and introduction

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GV10 build and introduction

Post by Grandbassslayer »

Thank you cape man, I thought it was but wanted some confirmation.

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Double post
Last edited by Grandbassslayer on Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

[imgur2] https://imgur.com/u97Ogho[/imgur2]

Thoughts and advice? I need to clean up the edges, add nails for proper spacing, duct tape the back sides, then use gel magic on all the joints, correct?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

What I can see looks good. I think you have a good plan. Just make sure the back half of the bottom does not have any hook or rocker.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I'd skip the nails. Just tighten up a few of the bow seams a bit with the zip ties. Then duct tape the inside seams, round off the outside seams. You're moving quickly.

No, no jig is needed as you can see. It's self jigging around the frames. When you go to put on the gunwhales, put a stick inside the hull at the top edge about 2-3' back from the bow so the hull panels are flexed out slightly. On some builds I've seen the hull get's a bit flat there. About your 2nd zip tie on the side seam.

Yes, use gelmagic for the seams.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thank you Evan. I came out tonight to take a look, figured I would let the boat sit on the jig a few days to relax before I tried to get that last little bit of straightening up out of it. Well the outside edge of both of the bottom puzzles pieces is coming apart. Not sure what went wrong, using the silvertip mixed 2 to 1, wetted the edge real well, put together then applied on top. Let the pieces rest for 48 hours before moving them.
[imgur2] https://imgur.com/6PFJjMK[/imgur2]

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You are going to need to pull those panels off and redo them. Get the joint flat again and put a layer of glass tape on both sides. The gel magic should have held, not sure what happened, but it can be fixed.

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I didn’t use gel magic, just epoxy resin, were they supposed to be gel magic?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Did you just coat it with neat epoxy? If so that is the problem. You need to mix in wood flour to something like ketchup consistency to make a glue. No problem go ahead and pull it apart. Then make up some glue and put it back together. It is said you do not need to tape the joint but I would go ahead and lay some glass tape over the joint.

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Correct I just used straight 2 to 1 epoxy, I feel like a dope now…lol. Guys I appreciate the help. So epoxy is just for use with glass, joining materials will always be a thickened epoxy such as gel magic. I will break it down, file, use gel magic, then lay 2 overlapping pieces of tape over the joint.