Reposition outboard mounting holes

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
gw204
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Reposition outboard mounting holes

Post by gw204 »

Looks like the engine on my '96 Robalo 2140 was originally installed with a slight lean to port.  Since I have already removed it from the transom in order to do some other work, I would like to fill the original holes in and then redrill them so the engine sits perfectly vertical.  I plan to fill the holes using plywood plugs that match the thickness of the existing core and then cover those with putty made with cabosil and glass fibers. Since I need to move them less than a 1/4" and the original holes would be completely covered by the engine transom bracket and the washers under the bolt heads, do I need to cover the holes with a layer or two of glass and then gelcoat?  

​​​​​​​Thanks.
Brian
St. Leonard, MD
1980 Wenzel 1400
2003 Maycraft 1800 Skiff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Reposition outboard mounting holes

Post by OrangeQuest »

To re-drill the holes you will want to drill the holes over size, fill with epoxy/filler blend and then re-drill them to the correct size and position. If you go over size big enough to include the original holes in the over size hole then you just fill in everything at one time. Reason you go over size is so the holes are 100% water proof from getting water to the wood core.

Easy way to fill the holes with the epoxy blend, dollar stores will sell a large basting syringe, tape, painter's tape, one side of the holes completely. The other end, tape a little over half way up so you can eject your epoxy blend into the holes and it doesn't sag out till you are done. Tape it up completely.
Then you can re-drill the holes exactly where you want them with no worries of the holes rotting from water getting to them.

Can't find the basting syringe, you can use a pastry bag or a quart size freezer bag and cut the corner out after you fill with your epoxy blend.
Good Luck.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne