Modified GV10 - Aluminum

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Modified GV10 - Aluminum

Post by Matt Gent »

Cool project. I'd really like to learn to weld aluminum to make boats this way.

Did you convert the design to aluminum yourself? Used panel shapes direct from the plywood plans?

Are those side panels going to pull right in to the frames? Looks like a pretty big gap.

I dig the elephant trunks too, such a simple solution to big water bailing.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Elephant trunks are what I'm going with. Going to try gluing some thin rubber sheet. If that doesn't work, I'll get hypalon.

redneckdan
New Poster
New Poster

Post by redneckdan »

Matt Gent wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:03 am Cool project. I'd really like to learn to weld aluminum to make boats this way.

Did you convert the design to aluminum yourself? Used panel shapes direct from the plywood plans?

Are those side panels going to pull right in to the frames? Looks like a pretty big gap.

I dig the elephant trunks too, such a simple solution to big water bailing.

Yeah I used to wood plans, drew them in AUTOCAD to figure out the frames, drew the panel dimensions in autocad for the burn table tool paths. Frame 1 pulled in nicely. Frame 2 is in the part of the hull where the sides are really starting to curve, so the rear of the frame doesn't meet the hull nicely. I will likely cut a plate to lap the tube and contour to the hull. Cutting the frame from 1/4" plate would have been neater, but the sq tube factors into other features of the hull.
Fuzz wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:35 pm I must be missing it but what is the hull thickness? I am asking because I do not see any distortion from welding. I know just enough to know distortion can be a major problem with thinner metals.

The hull is 1/8" sheet 6061-T6. The hull is not fully weld out yet. There will be some warping but careful welding and fixturing does a lot to prevent warping. I have a fair amount of experience doing stainless sheet work in commercial kitchens. The newer TIG machines have pulse settings that help you do more with less heat.