Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lost my mind

Post by Jeff »

Fuzz, how do you heat your home with temps that cold?? Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

My home is split level five star energy rated. The basement has radiant heat from a hot water boiler mounted remote. In the entry there is a Toyo diesel fired 40,000 btu heater. As long as the temps are above zero the heat from downstairs is all that is needed. When it is below zero the Toyo will need to run to keep things warm. Bad part is with the huge jump is fuel prices the old pocket book is feeling it.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Sounds like a great system Fuzz!!! And yes, prices are crazy now!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Warmed up here yesterday so we got snow and I spent most of the day plowing snow.
I did get a little time on the boat and got the prop broke loose from the shaft. At times that can be a real bear but it went my way pretty easy. Next is removing the rudder so I can get the prop off and then pull the shaft. Pulling the rudder might be a chore but will fight that battle tomorrow.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Bite at a time...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Just keep at it Fuzz!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Got the rudder off, removed the prop my home-made prop puller worked great, pulled the shaft. The shaft did not want to come out but a come-a-long and a little light tapping convinced it to come my way. No joy with the shaft :cry: The stuffing box had been over tightened instead of replacing the packing so 1/8 or more of the shaft was worn away.
I will post some pictures tomorrow but not much of this is picture worthy just takes lots of time. All the bolts had been covered with SplashZone. If you have never used it then you have no idea of just how tough it is. It is a two part epoxy puddy made for under water work.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Any of these pieces good enough to reuse?

I miss the days of trying to figure out ways to get things done that require a little thought. Care to give a few details of how you got to the bolts covered in splashzone?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:46 am Any of these pieces good enough to reuse?

I miss the days of trying to figure out ways to get things done that require a little thought. Care to give a few details of how you got to the bolts covered in splashzone?
Well you would love what I am doing then :lol: I am thinking about cutting the shaft log out and dropping it a couple inches so I can run a 24inch prop. Not sure if I will do it or not got to do some more head scratching.
The old cuttlass bearing housing is still in good shape. Really surprised that the rudder stuffing box is bad, the tail was broken and I have no idea how that could happen. And 13 foot of 1.5 inch shaft is worn badly in the stuffing box area.
One reason for me doing this is I have lots of good parts laying around and so far the bad parts are things I have replacements for.
About the SplashZone it is about like clay when mixed together, two part stuff. After it is hard it is tough but a little brittle. Brittle works as I used an air chisel to break it apart and off of stuff. Amazing how well it sticks to stuff.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Might not look like much but it has taken two days to get her butt all cleaned off. I am thinking about cutting the old shaft log out and dropping it 2-3 inches. Will scratch my head on it for a few days.