Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Lost my mind

Post by fallguy1000 »

Do you have the engine/transmission you plan to use?

I'd be a bit nervous with the bigger prop idea unless you are sure the setup would work and the shaft size is big enough and the shaft length not getting too long and the angles are known, etc.

Maybe old Tomw can run a program for you on it?

Also. That boat was designed for cargo you won't have, so you are gonna want to change the screw pitch methinks.

The deeper running prop can also hit more stuff...

You are probably way ahead of me on all of it..curious about it all..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

they ever do spray weld repairs on those shafts? what does the 24” propeller get you vs the stock one? Look forward to seeing what the next step is.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice project Fuzz!!! Stay warm!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

As always, your project is becoming more interesting the deeper you get into it. Like Fallguy, I was thinking about how the lowering of the shaft would work with the angle difference, if any or would the angle remain the same just be deeper? If the latter is the case that would mean the motor would also need to move?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

When built this boat had two goals. Run in very shallow water and pack lots of fish. This meant the motor was way far forward and the centre was open to hold fish. With the tunnel and engine so far forward the shaft angle is only 4 degree. I want to move the engine back a bunch but can not because the shaft is too low further back. A steeper shaft angle will let me set the engine back. Marine engines are set up to run tail down. Think about a boat running on step the bow is always up. The engine set up I will use has a 7 degree down angle tranny on it. I am pretty sure I can get away with a shaft angle of 10 degrees.
About the old shaft I have seen them built up before and it works. But in this case I do not think it is the best option. That part remains to be seen. Remember I said I have a bunch of good parts laying around to use. That includes a shaft and 24 inch prop :D
Cutting the keel and installing a new shaft log are the two most daunting parts of this project. And frankly I am not sure I will be able to make it happen :help: At this point all I have invested is my time so if I fail I have not lost much.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:17 pm When built this boat had two goals. Run in very shallow water and pack lots of fish. This meant the motor was way far forward and the centre was open to hold fish. With the tunnel and engine so far forward the shaft angle is only 4 degree. I want to move the engine back a bunch but can not because the shaft is too low further back. A steeper shaft angle will let me set the engine back. Marine engines are set up to run tail down. Think about a boat running on step the bow is always up. The engine set up I will use has a 7 degree down angle tranny on it. I am pretty sure I can get away with a shaft angle of 10 degrees.
About the old shaft I have seen them built up before and it works. But in this case I do not think it is the best option. That part remains to be seen. Remember I said I have a bunch of good parts laying around to use. That includes a shaft and 24 inch prop :D
Cutting the keel and installing a new shaft log are the two most daunting parts of this project. And frankly I am not sure I will be able to make it happen :help: At this point all I have invested is my time so if I fail I have not lost much.
U can do it...might be best with cad, though..

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You have no idea of what fun is until you spend the day chipping concrete out of a boat keel. I would share the fun but I would need to charge for the pleasure :lol: Crappy cell phone picture. I will try to get a better one tonight. Need to eat dinner before going back for round two.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

There is a safe distance between us that, i can say keep that fun there! That looks like something Andy Dufresne would have been doing to pass the time.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Ugh. Ferro.

David...that boat was designed for a certain amount of weight down low with a concrete keel and fish holds.

You will need ballast. Water and holding tanks and fuel tanks all low are probably not even enough.

I'm thinking lead... like a bunch? Say half of the fish hold weight?

Anyhow, consider it conversational. I'm just nervous she's gonna really get wild on you abeam.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Little better picture of what I am dealing with. I have seen shaft logs built out of lots of things but this is the first one I have seen out of PVC. First time having to deal with a bunch of concrete in the keel too.