Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Lost my mind

Post by fallguy1000 »

I read up on lignum and it gets darker when exposed to light..fyi
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:46 pm True Lignum Vitae is native to the Caribbean and northern South America. It is the national tree of the Bahamas, and we have a State Park here in Florida named Lignum Vitae Key, about half way down the chain and just north of the road. You can find it growing there and other hardwood hammocks in extreme south Florida. It also sinks, as does ebony and several other tropical hardwoods.

Doubt it is Lignum vitae as even in the 80s it was VERY expensive.
In my reading up on lignum, it says in on google search that lignum suffered from a heavy black market trade. So, it is possible; this boatyard went down to central America and got a black market deal on some direct from a mill. They would have cut out all the middle men and made it more affordable. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but pair what I read with your comment is all. It is sort of strange how Fuzz may have discovered, perhaps, some shady business in the belly of that beast. But one must wonder why lignum..maybe some happenstance versus other mills or who they found to sell to them direct, etc. Or to reduce the stringer height for the design, etc.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

before CITES was enforced for the lumber trade, lots of different lumber was available “legally”. Since washington state is the center of west coast lumber trade pretty much anything would have been available. And some could have been cheap even for expensive species because when volume is available there are always random boards that are left overs and no one wants random inventory. so could also be other similar tropical species that have similar properties. the best place to go to figure out a wood species is https://www.wood-database.com/

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

jonnymac wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:09 pm before CITES was enforced for the lumber trade, lots of different lumber was available “legally”. Since washington state is the center of west coast lumber trade pretty much anything would have been available. And some could have been cheap even for expensive species because when volume is available there are always random boards that are left overs and no one wants random inventory. so could also be other similar tropical species that have similar properties. the best place to go to figure out a wood species is https://www.wood-database.com/
I checked and lignum wasn't listed on cites until 2003.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Rawson was a pretty big builder back in the day. They built hundreds of 32 foot boats like mine plus some larger boats also. I just learned they also built a pretty large number of sailboats too. This said I would think it is not likely they would have used any shady materials. Speaking of the wood I did a peel test with epoxy and it did not stick. Maybe do it again after scrubbing the wood with acetone.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

How to make yourself look like a snowman?
1 put a 4.5 cutting disk on a grinder. Put a 4.5 inch Zec disk on another grinder.

2 spend the day switching back and forth between them cutting/grinding glass.

I am not saying there was a lot of glass dust but clean up was started with a shovel and later the shop vac :help:
Good news is I only have 10-15 more days like that still to go :cry: Can you say itch?

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

sounds like a lot of work!

as far as the itch, I used a product like this at work. It is a barrier cream that fills your pores to keep the fiberglass out. works for oils and other things that would stain skin too.

Cavilon 3M Durable Barrier Cream Unscented 3.25 Ounce (92G) Tube by Cavilon 2 tubes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CYPUUYK/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I have not given up on this project. Mother nature is showing what she thinks of global warming around here. -21 here this morning. Too cold to heat my shop enough to work in. But better here than ten miles inland. It was -40 there this morning. :help:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow Fuzz, that is really cold!!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Yep looks like we are looking at single digit highs with multiple digit minus lows for the next week or more :cry: