Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Lost my mind

Post by Fuzz »

Well I got all the leaves out of the hull but where the engine was is a greasy mess. I think the oil got changed by dumping it in the bilge and leaving it there. Any body got a favourite degreaser? something that will cut heavy crap. Dawn and Simple Green is not cutting it.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I’ve used TSP or powered laundry detergent with small amount of water on occasion.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:26 am Well I got all the leaves out of the hull but where the engine was is a greasy mess. I think the oil got changed by dumping it in the bilge and leaving it there. Any body got a favorite degreaser? something that will cut heavy crap. Dawn and Simple Green is not cutting it.
I've had good luck with the industrial Zep degreaser.
Not sure if any of the people you know up there have a Hotsy you could borrow but they are the absolute best to cut heavy grease. Every diesel shop I've worked at or worked around used Hotsy's to power clean.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Yeah. You need steam cleaning power.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

We use oil eater. (I think Costco has 5gallon buckets)

For really stubborn stuff I will siphon spray the area down with diesel and let it sit a couple of minutes, then siphon spray it all down with oil eater, let it sit a few more minutes but not long enough to evaporate, then hose it down with the hottest water I can get. I have also used the siphon injection hose on pressure washers with the oil eater and hot water as well, but some stuff just needs a little soak time to loosen up first and diesel won't evaporate, so it gives it that soak time needed.

All of that makes the air pretty nasty though, need a mask and/or lots of fresh air and anyone around hates you for a bit.

If its cold out, and it can't stay in to dry out overnight, final rinse is gas instead of water to prevent anything from freezing up.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Thanks guys. I will look around and see if I can come up with some form of a Hotsy. I have the boat inside now and do not want to use any real nasty stuff that needs to be aired out.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I would try to stick with water soluble degreasers if you can. They are mostly bio-friendly so can be rinsed down the normal drain. If that isn't working may consider oven cleaner or a petroleum-based paint remover but you would be getting into the more toxic stuff, then.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It sounds like a big job, and the steam cleaning sounds sensible. I've used citrus degreasers when working on smaller stuff and it works well and smells nice, not sure how practical/cost effective it would be for your job.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

This may seem extreme, but what about fire!

I've seen folks use heat guns to loosen the grease then scrape it up. That makes it easier for less caustic chemical options. I saw one idiot use a propane asphalt torch. That ended as expected, but I would encourage Fuzz to try it (but only if there is a video camera monitoring the event).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

For now I will skip the methods involving fire but I am sure I will think of it many times during this project :lol:
Thanks to piperdown I found some Zep and gave it a try. It did a pretty good job for a first pass. One more shot and I think I will be able to work in the area without looking like a total grease monkey.