Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Lost my mind

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:40 am The rivers will run hard with the spring melt. What does that do for fishing?

We still have not had any snow for 44 years.
Yeh well X-mas would not be the same with no snow. Woke up to a nice balmy -20 this morning :help: Weather is going to end some boat work until it warms up a bit.

What happens to the rivers in spring mostly depends on how warm it gets up in the mountains. The low levels can soak up lots of water and release it back in a somewhat controlled rate.

I hosed the inside of the boat down good before pulling it outside. The snow will just make sure I did not miss a spot. :lol:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Yuk.
AC2ADCBB-ACFA-4D80-8BA4-895B0E2F5361.png
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Those places are all inland so they get a lot colder being away from the ocean. hotter in the summer too. In fact sometimes really hot in inland Alaska. Believe it or not the all time high temp in Alaska and Miami FL are the same. Sunday morning we left the house it was -11. Drove to church about 10 miles inland and it was -20. The big water heater do make a difference.
Going to be cold for the next three days so the boat is outside so I can put a car or two in the shop. I have some boat parts to make and hope to do that during this cold spell.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Been doing some small things but the holidays and weather have things slowed down. Speaking of weather here is the Homer small boat harbour 80 miles south of here. Not too often you see salt water like this.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

No.

Just no

Nopity nope nope.

You keep that crap up there. Please.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Seeing as I have spend all my life around freshwater..... How do ice and tides interact?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

narfi wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:07 pm Seeing as I have spend all my life around freshwater..... How do ice and tides interact?
Are we talking about river mouths,harbours, or open ocean? Upper Cook Inlet can have solid ice pans running shore to shore if it gets cold and stays that way for a few weeks. Winds and currents will break up the ice over time if it warms up. As a young fellow I saw moose walking around the oil platforms 10 miles offshore. Once the lower river freezes over when the tides goes out the ice is grounded. Fresh water flowing by with cold air builds an iceberg, Repeat over and over and you get some really thick ice in the tidal areas.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

That makes sense, I was thinking specifically the harbor in your picture.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:30 pm
narfi wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:07 pm Seeing as I have spend all my life around freshwater..... How do ice and tides interact?
Are we talking about river mouths,harbours, or open ocean? Upper Cook Inlet can have solid ice pans running shore to shore if it gets cold and stays that way for a few weeks. Winds and currents will break up the ice over time if it warms up. As a young fellow I saw moose walking around the oil platforms 10 miles offshore. Once the lower river freezes over when the tides goes out the ice is grounded. Fresh water flowing by with cold air builds an iceberg, Repeat over and over and you get some really thick ice in the tidal areas.
Interesting stuff.

Now what in tarnation (thanks Denver Pyle) was that moose doing that far offshore?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow, that is crazy!!!! Jeff