Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Lost my mind

Post by Fuzz »

So this just happened to show up in my yard.
Needs a new engine. So what do you do when the builder installed the engine and then built the boat around it?
You make a little working room of course :lol:

BarraMan

Re: Lost my mind

Post by BarraMan »

Interesting! :doh:

cape man

Post by cape man »

Yep...you lost your mind...

How big is that?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

That'll take the 6 footers.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:10 am Yep...you lost your mind...
I showed this to the Mrs (who has only heard stories of Fuzz and giant flounder) and her immediate reply was “can a person lose what they may never have possessed?”
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:50 am That'll take the 6 footers.
I went out on a smooth day with Fuzz and his friends. A smooth day. Not sure what boat it was, but we towed it to the ramp. Seemed like a pretty standard lake boat to me. Things seemed less standard when we got out there and the waves seemed higher than the cabin top. I don’t think 6’ means the same thing to you and me as it does to fuzz and crew.

Fuzz, Was that Seward we departed that day? My brain is still struggling to piece that trip back together in chronological order.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow Fuzz, she is huge!!! I look forward to watch the rebuild!!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Six footers are same as two meter seas and most boats and boaters can't do them. A lot depends on the speed of the buggers. A six footer on a slow period is something many boats can take; boaters less.

Fuzz's ride there can take any 6 footers and unless he rides abeam, it would make it decent for the crew. A seasoned sailor can probably do another meter, but the fun exits for most everyone about there.

I was on a 90' charter boat in 3 meter seas and about 1/3rd of the pax were hurlin. I never got sick, but I sort of embraced it, Fishin was bad, a roller coaster ride I paid $135 for...

When I was out west in 2007, waves were super fast 2 meter seas. Noone was out. Winds were 20knots plus.

What does someone do with a boat like that? Invite folks from the lower 48 to halibut fish? One can dream.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

That boat must have made your spidey-sense tingle! Crimony! Good luck!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fuzz good looking boat. Hope the motor won't take a lot to replace.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The boat is a Rawson 32x11. They built a ton of them mostly to fish Bristol Bay but you see them all over around here. The fishing boats have advanced miles so many of these are no longer used and just laying around falling apart. This one was one of the last ones built sometime in the 80's. The hull is a lot like an east coast lobster hull but with a tunnel. The roll a bit and are a little wet running but they pack a pretty good load. I once stacked 23000 pounds of salmon on one.

The engine is totally rusted away and has to come out. They set the engine and built the boat around it so cutting her open is the easiest way to get it out. Being a work boat everything was built around the fish hold. Fuel in the stern and engine way forward and in the tiny cabin. This is going to be a play boat so changes will be made.

Dan you and any of the others that make it to Alaska are welcome to come fish. Momma loves to fish and I do to so it does not take much of a reason to get us to go.

Jaysen you are thinking about fishing out of Homer. Pretty sure the weather was nice when we were in Seward.

This has very little to do with the boats built here but I thought some of you might find it interesting. That is why it is in the bilge and not in the rebuild section.