Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Lost my mind

Post by Fuzz »

Dan I appreciate your thoughts. Any time you remove low weight it can be a problem. One way to help is to remove high weight to offset things. In this case these carried close to 2000 pounds on deck and above when light but in fishing mode. I am hoping losing 3-400 pounds down low will be more than offset by not carrying all that high weight.
Speaking of weight I hope to put it back together a lot lighter overall than it was.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

My vision of your plan would be to move the cabin forward and make ir bigger, thus creating more weight up top. But perhaps the materials can change and you build the house with foam for some r value or light
Ply and 2" polystyrene for some heat.

Anyhow, don't give up. It is super cool project. I just have a vision of all these weights exiting. Do you know the old waterline?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

There’s is a lot more weight in commercial fishing gear and retrieval hardware than there would be in the cabin. My guess is that Fuzz won’t be adding that hardware back reducing over a ton in weight above the rotational axis.

I think.

That concrete… that is the killer of local boat restoration dreams. Not sure when it was popular but a concrete keel seems to send boats straight to the scrap pile down here. I applaud your level of insanity. I’m happy to watch from a safe distance.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:51 am There’s is a lot more weight in commercial fishing gear and retrieval hardware than there would be in the cabin. My guess is that Fuzz won’t be adding that hardware back reducing over a ton in weight above the rotational axis.

I think.

That concrete… that is the killer of local boat restoration dreams. Not sure when it was popular but a concrete keel seems to send boats straight to the scrap pile down here. I applaud your level of insanity. I’m happy to watch from a safe distance.
Okay, I forgot about the deck gear...that'll help 4 sure...but still gonna be hard to make loaded waterline with even the fishhold. A 6x6x3 fishbox is 100 cuft divide 0.134 cuft/gallon or about a 700 gallon box at 8# or 5600 pounds of water n fish. It is a curious problem..

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Dan the water line was close to what you see on the first page of this thread. Jaysen is correct and I will not be putting all the fishing gear back on the boat. The fish hold would take about 12,000 pounds in stock form. I have stacked over 20,000 on this boat. As long as you keep the weight centred and the boat level it is amazing how much they will carry.
The plan is to keep things as light as possible. There will not be anything fancy or yacht like about this boat. I am tired of getting beat up on my fishing trips and the best way to prevent it is with a longer waterline. Thus the loss of my sanity :lol:

cape man

Post by cape man »

This project will certainly keep you busy over the winter! Keep plugging along. You need to finish by summer of '23. We're driving from Key West to Deadhorse and back starting in April after I retire. You'll have to put at least my 175 lbs on deck to see how she rides... 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:06 am This project will certainly keep you busy over the winter! Keep plugging along. You need to finish by summer of '23. We're driving from Key West to Deadhorse and back starting in April after I retire. You'll have to put at least my 175 lbs on deck to see how she rides... 8)
I got a feeling you'll be sanding about then.

Hehehe

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:06 am This project will certainly keep you busy over the winter! Keep plugging along. You need to finish by summer of '23. We're driving from Key West to Deadhorse and back starting in April after I retire. You'll have to put at least my 175 lbs on deck to see how she rides... 8)
You do know Mila will have to go too :lol: We are looking forward to seeing you guys here again.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow Fuzz, that is crazy!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

So is this a problem or a commitment?
Three days and one worn out air chisel and I am about 60% done with getting all the dang concrete out of this thing. I hope :!: