Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Lost my mind

Post by Fuzz »

No telling what the moose was doing. They just do what ever their moose brain says with no rime or reason. I heard a "rumour" that moose got trapped on the ice and was "rescued" by one of the work boats that had a deck crane :roll:
Been a little cool here the past few weeks but it is forecast to warm up early next week. We will see :D

As far as I know the tide does not cause a lot of problem with the ice. But to be fair I have never kept a boat in the water over the winter.

cape man

Post by cape man »

20220106_175737.jpg
No ice. No jacket. No shoes....
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very cool Cape Man!!! You guys have great time!!! Happy New Year, Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:26 pm 20220106_175737.jpg

No ice. No jacket. No shoes....
I got nothing but tears...................................butt head :lol:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

All the glass guys are busy around here so I built my own shaft log.

As it is eight feet long I was afraid of the pipe getting stuck in the log. I wrapped the pipe with 4-5 layers of masking paper and then covered that with shipping tape. I then waxed the tape with mold release wax a couple of times. Still worried a little after the wax dried I shot a coating of pva over that.
A good buddy came over to help lay the glass and that all went well. After the epoxy cured I went to pull the tube and you guessed it the dang thing is stuck :cry:
Next up will be the pulling of the tube fun.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

since fiberglass and pvc have different expansion(contraction) rates. of which I believe based on some research epoxy expands and contracts more than pvc. So put it outside and get it nice and cold, with the ends of the pvc capped. maybe even stick ice inside Then bring it inside (warm enviroment) and put an electric blanket on it or something to heat the outside, while pushing the pvc out.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Can you sacrifice any of the shaft log?

I found that a threaded rod passed through the fiberglass portion and bolted on each side offered some leverage.

Then anchor one side so it can't budge.

Then I used an air chisel, but not the way it sounds. I used the hammer effect of the air chisel to back the part out of the mould. The only trouble is how thick is the glass on the part and can it take any hammering and can the rod hold up to the chisel or do you need to modify a bit so it doesn't cut the rod, etc. Mine was 3 layers of 1708 and by the end of the job; it had to be reholed once for more hole. The hole distorts and eventually fails. But I had enough part to let some damage happen.

There is a good chance you are screwed. I had wrapped mine with thin mason line and removed it all and it was still stuck and was larger. The mould was my aluminum crossbeams.

The phenomena you missed is that epoxy shrinks quite a bit when it cures. Even rope or line can be trouble if it breaks off inside.

Another thing you could try is chemicals. Epoxy is inert in many. Pvc may not be. If you can find a chemical that softens pvc and not epoxy; it could work as a destructive method. Acetone melts pvc, but it'll damage epoxy as well.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Another option would be to post cure the epoxy. 2 hours at 155f with the tube in it. One hour slow cool down.

Then take the entire thing up to 175 for an hour. The pvc should melt and gravity should create a gap on one side. Turn it 90 degrees and do it again. See if it'll pop out or keep turning and heating it.

No flames! Wear an organic respirator at the oven.

You can use a pressure cooker with a hose and run it i to a piece of heat duct. Not sure if you have a better way to make 175F heat no flame, but this is less than water boiling.

Check the HDT of the epoxy you used first.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jonnymac and Dan thank both of you for the suggestions. I ended up using my training as a kid on drill rigs. Use enough force and it will either come or come into. I pinned the log down and put a two ton come-a-long on the pipe. It came but not without putting up a heck of a fight.
Good news is I have plenty length and will be able to trim both ends off and clean them up.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Come alongs are awesome tools!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman