Page 1 of 1

Lost my mind

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:49 am
by Fuzz
So this just happened to show up in my yard.
Needs a new engine. So what do you do when the builder installed the engine and then built the boat around it?
You make a little working room of course :lol:

Re: Lost my mind

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:24 am
by BarraMan
Interesting! :doh:

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:10 am
by cape man
Yep...you lost your mind...

How big is that?

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:50 am
by fallguy1000
That'll take the 6 footers.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:18 am
by Jaysen
cape man wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:10 am Yep...you lost your mind...
I showed this to the Mrs (who has only heard stories of Fuzz and giant flounder) and her immediate reply was “can a person lose what they may never have possessed?”
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:50 am That'll take the 6 footers.
I went out on a smooth day with Fuzz and his friends. A smooth day. Not sure what boat it was, but we towed it to the ramp. Seemed like a pretty standard lake boat to me. Things seemed less standard when we got out there and the waves seemed higher than the cabin top. I don’t think 6’ means the same thing to you and me as it does to fuzz and crew.

Fuzz, Was that Seward we departed that day? My brain is still struggling to piece that trip back together in chronological order.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:11 am
by Jeff
Wow Fuzz, she is huge!!! I look forward to watch the rebuild!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:27 am
by fallguy1000
Six footers are same as two meter seas and most boats and boaters can't do them. A lot depends on the speed of the buggers. A six footer on a slow period is something many boats can take; boaters less.

Fuzz's ride there can take any 6 footers and unless he rides abeam, it would make it decent for the crew. A seasoned sailor can probably do another meter, but the fun exits for most everyone about there.

I was on a 90' charter boat in 3 meter seas and about 1/3rd of the pax were hurlin. I never got sick, but I sort of embraced it, Fishin was bad, a roller coaster ride I paid $135 for...

When I was out west in 2007, waves were super fast 2 meter seas. Noone was out. Winds were 20knots plus.

What does someone do with a boat like that? Invite folks from the lower 48 to halibut fish? One can dream.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:47 am
by VT_Jeff
That boat must have made your spidey-sense tingle! Crimony! Good luck!

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:18 am
by TomW1
Fuzz good looking boat. Hope the motor won't take a lot to replace.

Tom

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:07 pm
by Fuzz
The boat is a Rawson 32x11. They built a ton of them mostly to fish Bristol Bay but you see them all over around here. The fishing boats have advanced miles so many of these are no longer used and just laying around falling apart. This one was one of the last ones built sometime in the 80's. The hull is a lot like an east coast lobster hull but with a tunnel. The roll a bit and are a little wet running but they pack a pretty good load. I once stacked 23000 pounds of salmon on one.

The engine is totally rusted away and has to come out. They set the engine and built the boat around it so cutting her open is the easiest way to get it out. Being a work boat everything was built around the fish hold. Fuel in the stern and engine way forward and in the tiny cabin. This is going to be a play boat so changes will be made.

Dan you and any of the others that make it to Alaska are welcome to come fish. Momma loves to fish and I do to so it does not take much of a reason to get us to go.

Jaysen you are thinking about fishing out of Homer. Pretty sure the weather was nice when we were in Seward.

This has very little to do with the boats built here but I thought some of you might find it interesting. That is why it is in the bilge and not in the rebuild section.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:11 pm
by Jeff
Fuzz, you choice but I think it should be in the rebuild section as many people never read the bilge!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:31 pm
by Jaysen
Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:07 pm Dan you and any of the others that make it to Alaska are welcome to come fish. Momma loves to fish and I do to so it does not take much of a reason to get us to go.
Dan, do it (in summer)! Fuzz's area is amazing. I'm sure you are used to the mountains out your way, but there is something ... intimidating ... about being on a boat, looking at a cliff a couple of hundred feet away, and seeing it go right up to the feet of God. As much as I hate the cold, I actually understand why someone would live there.
Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:07 pm Jaysen you are thinking about fishing out of Homer. Pretty sure the weather was nice when we were in Seward.
I wasn't sure which one it was. They all blend together into a stream of great memories that has me anxious to get up there with the Mrs and show her all the things you showed me... in the summer. All I can say is that a week hanging with you and the crew pretty much ruined my desire to never go higher than 34°N. :)

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:37 pm
by Jaysen
Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:07 pm Jaysen you are thinking about fishing out of Homer. Pretty sure the weather was nice when we were in Seward.
A quick look at maps.google and I agree. Was it Seldovia that we overnighted on the water?

The depressing thing, in looking at the maps, is realizing just how sheltered all that water you had me in is. I know I green up easy, but at least down here I get pretty far out before I get as bad as you had me.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:38 pm
by Jaysen
Jeff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:11 pm Fuzz, you choice but I think it should be in the rebuild section as many people never read the bilge!!! Jeff
Let me know and I can move it.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:09 pm
by Jeff
Jaysen, I will leave this to Fuzz!!! Thank you, Jeff

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:37 pm
by Fuzz
Jeff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:11 pm Fuzz, you choice but I think it should be in the rebuild section as many people never read the bilge!!! Jeff
Since this is not really like what we do on this site I did not want to be out of place with this. But if it ok with you I will start a thread in the rebuild section. I do not know how to move this, maybe Jaysen could help?

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:46 pm
by Fuzz
Jaysen wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:37 pm
A quick look at maps.google and I agree. Was it Seldovia that we overnighted on the water?

The depressing thing, in looking at the maps, is realizing just how sheltered all that water you had me in is. I know I green up easy, but at least down here I get pretty far out before I get as bad as you had me.
While that area looks pretty sheltered it is open to west wind. And during the summer west wind is what we normally get. Most mornings it is pretty calm but it likes to blow up in the afternoon. The area is shallow enough that it tends to form nasty short sided waves that just beat you up. Seward is deep and can have giant swells but most times they are not so nasty.
What we were Jaysen was those nasty short sided waves that just toss you all around.

With Jeff's permission go ahead and move this if you can, thanks.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:37 pm
by Jaysen
Moved!

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:10 pm
by OrangeQuest
Jaysen wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:37 pmMoved!
Thank you, I perfer not jumping into the bilge just to read about a boat restoration! A very interesting boat restoration! And I think Fuzz's methods on tackling this monster will be informative and fun!

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:23 pm
by Fuzz
Jaysen wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:37 pmMoved!
No matter what them other guys say you are pretty handy to have around :wink:

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:45 am
by Fuzz
So you can sort of see these things were broke up in thirds. One third back working deck to catch fish. One third to haul the fish and the skinny third for the people.
And the luxury accommodations for three men for two months.
The engine is still buried under there even though it can not be seen. I hope to be able to see it in the next day or so.

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:14 am
by cape man
The picture inside your shop answered my other question. I know how you will be spending the next winter(s). :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 am
by fallguy1000
How and what's the hull like?

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:37 am
by Jeff
Fuzz, that is some "real" luxury accommodations!!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:15 am
by VT_Jeff
Fuzz wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:45 am And the luxury accommodations for three men for two months.
"Ooh ooh that smell!
Can't ya smell that smell!
Ooh ooh that smell!
The smell of fish surrounds you!"

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:35 pm
by Fuzz
cape man wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:14 am The picture inside your shop answered my other question. I know how you will be spending the next winter(s). :lol:
I need something to do to keep this old butt moving in the winter. Maybe not this big but something. I am in no rush so this might take a while.

Yep two months on one of these with only a weekly navy shower off a tender and things can get a little ripe :help: The best you can hope for is everybody stinks about the same.

About the hull it is in pretty good shape and solid glass. The previous owner painted it creek robber Gray with some really cheap paint for some reason.

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:41 am
by Fuzz
No pictures, I forgot to take the camera to the shop, oops. The engine is still in place and will be for a few days but at least I can see the darn thing.
I had almost forgot how much I enjoy that itch from cutting glass but it is coming back to me.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:20 pm
by Fuzz
Well the motor can be seen now. It is just a tad rusty :help: Nothing a little paint can't fix :lol:
Yesterday was spent hauling 1900 pounds of wet and rotted wood to the dump. Just goes to show what happens to unprotected wood if you leave it long enough. Needless to say not a drop of epoxy was used on any thing.

Today will be spent doing clean up and letting some bolts soak in penetrating oil.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:40 pm
by cape man
So did they pay you to haul it away? :lol:

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:00 am
by Fuzz
cape man wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:40 pm So did they pay you to haul it away? :lol:
Nope but the price was right. It cost me a days labour to jack it up and get it on my trailer.
Learned something today. The old shaft coupling was never going to come off so cutting the shaft seemed reasonable but how? Learned they make a cut off wheel just for stainless steel. Took about three minutes with a 4.5 inch grinder :D

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:53 am
by Jeff
Good progress Fuzz!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:19 pm
by Mr Pamlico
I’m looking forward to seeing the progress. I expect this to be a cool build. I would love to find something similar to this around my parts one day.

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 am
by jonnymac
they make aluminum ones too and its amazing how much better the ones for the specific material work.

Boat looks like an fun project
Fuzz wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:00 am
cape man wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:40 pm So did they pay you to haul it away? :lol:
Nope but the price was right. It cost me a days labour to jack it up and get it on my trailer.
Learned something today. The old shaft coupling was never going to come off so cutting the shaft seemed reasonable but how? Learned they make a cut off wheel just for stainless steel. Took about three minutes with a 4.5 inch grinder :D

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:40 pm
by Fuzz
Mr Pamlico wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:19 pm I’m looking forward to seeing the progress. I expect this to be a cool build. I would love to find something similar to this around my parts one day.
If you ever lose your mind and do something like this try to find one that has good bones. Some will have lots of good parts that you will need and some not so much. This boat has a Freeman access hatch in it. They are great hatches but are pretty spendy. Little things like that make a difference.

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:44 pm
by Fuzz
jonnymac wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 am they make aluminum ones too and its amazing how much better the ones for the specific material work.

Yes sir using the right tool for the job is really important. I understand using a regular grinding disk on aluminium can be very bad. The pores fill with material and it expands with heat causing the disk to explode :help:

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:29 am
by Fuzz
Well I have been trying to get things around home done before winter sets in and that has slowed boat work in a large part but still got a little done. Picture might not look like much but 2000 pounds of rusty green iron is now at the scrape yard. And I am guessing 500-800 pounds of wet and rotted wood will head to the dump tomorrow.
Bottom of picture shows two fuel tanks of around 150 gallons each that may or may not still be good. Next project is to pull and inspect them.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:24 am
by fallguy1000
The stringers okay?

The gunwhale coaming looks like a 2x12? Are those all rotten or jist the one removed?

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:55 am
by Fuzz
I have not really looked at the stringers yet. Either way the middle ones might need to be replaced to fit the new engine. I want to relocate the engine as far back as I can. This will drive the cabin arrangement. I am still in the tear down and clean stage.
The gunwales were molded glass as seen in the stern area. At some point they needed more room in the fish hold area so the gunwales were cut and a piece of 1/2 plywood was bonded to the outside skin. All they did to protect the plywood was to paint it. Forty years of weather has turned it to mush. Good part is mush is pretty easy to remove.
These are tunnel hulls made to work very shallow water. They float in less than two foot of water. Pretty handy in places with big tides as you can run them up on beaches and let them go dry with no worries. They roll a bunch and are wet running but have proven to be surprisingly good sea boats. I like the old work boat hulls. You do not need to baby them and a little boo-boo here and there just gives them character.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:39 am
by fallguy1000
The first pic you posted is mia?

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:41 pm
by Fuzz
Something strange is going on with the picture gallery :doh:

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:55 pm
by fallguy1000
I was gonna show my wife what floated into your yard. She said floated? I said, yup. That's what we tell the wives.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:30 pm
by jonnymac
I couldn’t see the image in the post. went to the gallery searched with the default parameters for Fuzz. came up with an interesting photo. then I found your real gallery.

Looks like lots of work ahead, can’t wait to see the work ahead.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:49 pm
by Fuzz
Our man Jaysen got the picture problem all fixed :D

Just got back from the dump and according to their scales I had another 600 pounds of wet and rotted wood :help:
Going to be hard to make this thing as heavy as it was.
If it were down south I think it would make a good great loop hull. Pretty easy on fuel and the shallow draft would come in real handy.

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:49 pm
by Fuzz
Got the fuel tanks pulled today. They were sitting on three raw wood stringers. I did not have a lot of hope they would still be good but got a very pleasant surprise. They used a couple layers of tar paper between the stringers and tanks and that seems to have been very effective! Who would have thought that would work?

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:36 pm
by boguesounder
Fuzz,
That is an awesome hull! Crazy, but awesome!!! Will be a fun one to watch.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:22 am
by Fuzz
boguesounder wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:36 pm Fuzz,
Hey thanks. I am really wanting to be working on it but before the snow flies chores are getting in the way. From the looks of it I will not have long to wait for winter, it was 27f here this morning.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:41 am
by fallguy1000
Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:22 am
boguesounder wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:36 pm Fuzz,
Hey thanks. I am really wanting to be working on it but before the snow flies chores are getting in the way. From the looks of it I will not have long to wait for winter, it was 27f here this morning.
Ouch. I got nice thick kiwigrip on the port hull foredeck today. Dropping to 45F tonight. It won't dry for a few days fully....but the other hull was painted and was outside and the temp went to 30F and the tips of the paint froze on me.

Reasons for me to move!

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:55 am
by Fuzz
Yep we both have the same weather problems. Only difference is my cold weather lasts a bunch longer. You will really enjoy the warmer weather but might find the summer heat in Texas is worse than the winters where you are at.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:20 am
by fallguy1000
Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:55 am Yep we both have the same weather problems. Only difference is my cold weather lasts a bunch longer. You will really enjoy the warmer weather but might find the summer heat in Texas is worse than the winters where you are at.
Yeah, I expect so, but I can always hide in ac. Plan to add it to the Skoota as well.

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:58 pm
by Fuzz
Still doing pre winter stuff and honey does so no work on the Rawson. But today I drove 80 miles to Homer and helped my buddy pull this from his boat.

That is 660 hp and 4000 pounds of Cummings diesel. The dang muffler weighted 500 pounds :help:
My little cargo trailer had a full load for the trip home.

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:05 pm
by fallguy1000
So, new motor for him and new motor for you?

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:41 am
by Fuzz
That is way too much motor for anything I have. It is one of the few motors Cummings built that did not work out too well. He will be installing a new motor. Work deck is coming out and major changes being made. It is amazing how over built the old deck is. 1.5 inch of divinycell and 1/2 inch of glass all done with epoxy :help:

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:44 am
by cape man
So you are not using it?

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:15 am
by Jeff
Nice Fuzz!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:08 am
by Jaysen
cape man wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:44 am So you are not using it?
I don’t think he said that exactly. I am curious what he could be using a marinized engine for if not a boat. I’m betting it’s something boating like “someone else’s boat”.

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:47 pm
by Fuzz
Guess I did not explain it very well. This is my buddy and neighbour who gave me the Rawson. He needed some help pulling the motor and getting it home. Least I could do is give him a hand. That model of engine has a bad habit of melting itself down and this one has done that. He will be putting a different model Cummings back in the boat. I think he is going to part the old engine out.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:04 am
by Fuzz
New one for me last night. While standing out on my back deck I got to see a Brown Bear chase a moose with two grown calfs right through my yard. It all happened 10-15 feet from me. I had never seen moose run any where near that fast. I guess with the right motivation they can move pretty good.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:16 am
by jonnymac
Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:04 am New one for me last night. While standing out on my back deck I got to see a Brown Bear chase a moose with two grown calfs right through my yard. It all happened 10-15 feet from me. I had never seen moose run any where near that fast. I guess with the right motivation they can move pretty good.
wow! seeing a bear and a moose in the wild is on my bucket list. I just moved to Maine, so hoping to see some moose this winter.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:44 am
by Jeff
Fuzz, what a great experience!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:16 am
by Jaysen
You know... If I hadn't seen your place I would be skeptical. Having seen your place I'm shocked they didn't stop and ask for a coffee refill.

I'm not sure I'd like a bear anywhere that close to me. Even moose are a bit ... scary that close.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 am
by fallguy1000
If a bear chases a moose or three through the woods, does it make any sound?

Despite sounding like a smartass, I am ever so curious. Bears hissing really creep me out, for the record.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:46 pm
by Fuzz
This cow gave birth to the two calfs right here close to me and they have been hanging around ever since. The calfs are last years so they are pretty big now. At night I will go out on my raised back deck to smoke, It was dark but I could hear them in the woods close to me but not see them. That is a pretty normal deal here for me. Then the cow started to bellow as loud as I have ever heard followed by the running excitement.
The only light at the time was moonlight so I did not get a real good look at the bear. It was moving pretty good but not making enough noise to be heard over the moose. It is pretty rare to see a bear here. This was the first one in a long time. Moose on the other hand are almost a daily thing.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:48 pm
by TomW1
Dang Fuzz that must have been exciting. The closest I have been to one is a black bear wandered up on my concrete patio about 7' away and I posted a picture on here several years ago. Lot to love living in the wilds. :D

Tom

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:52 pm
by Fuzz
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 am If a bear chases a moose or three through the woods, does it make any sound?

Despite sounding like a smartass, I am ever so curious. Bears hissing really creep me out, for the record.
This one was not making enough noise to be heard over the moose. Not sure about bears hissing but having them woof at you and pop their teeth will get your attention. And if they have enough foam around their mouth to look like a ice cream bowl you know they are not happy with you.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:18 pm
by Fuzz
TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:48 pm Dang Fuzz that must have been exciting. The closest I have been to one is a black bear wandered up on my concrete patio about 7' away and I posted a picture on here several years ago. Lot to love living in the wilds. :D

Tom
I had a job for a couple of years over across the Inlet from here. Pretty remote area. The black bear population got out of control and they were every where you looked. They got to be a real pest. Pretty soon they wiped out all the moose and then the smaller game was next. That left the brown bears nothing to eat so the black bears became the browns food until they about wiped them out. After that the game animals returned. Mother nature is amazing and has here way of controlling things.
We would have a lot more moose here but too many get killed each year by cars. They have road signs posting moose kills for the year in this area. Pretty common for the number to get up over three hundred.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:56 pm
by fallguy1000
Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:18 pm
TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:48 pm Dang Fuzz that must have been exciting. The closest I have been to one is a black bear wandered up on my concrete patio about 7' away and I posted a picture on here several years ago. Lot to love living in the wilds. :D

Tom
I had a job for a couple of years over across the Inlet from here. Pretty remote area. The black bear population got out of control and they were every where you looked. They got to be a real pest. Pretty soon they wiped out all the moose and then the smaller game was next. That left the brown bears nothing to eat so the black bears became the browns food until they about wiped them out. After that the game animals returned. Mother nature is amazing and has here way of controlling things.
We would have a lot more moose here but too many get killed each year by cars. They have road signs posting moose kills for the year in this area. Pretty common for the number to get up over three hundred.
I saw a moose car kill once after. The entire windshield had caved in and the moose was skinned by the top of the car. Our population here is wolf impacted.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:55 pm
by TomW1
Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:18 pm

Tom
Yes mother nature does. I live on the edge of the Great Smokys National Park. A few years ago they reintroduced elk back into the park as they were native to it. Now the herd has grown tp over 700 as there only predator are black bears. We no longer have mountain lions, so they are expanding exponentially. They are now talking about a limited hunting season for them. They are beautiful animals but are starting to expand outside the park, to farmers farm land.

Tom

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:20 am
by BarraMan
When I was salmon fishing the Kichatna R in Alaska in 2012, my guide told me that Fish and Game, or whatever they are called, had told him to shoot every black bear he saw because they were devastating the moose and elk population by preying on calves. He said they would have declared open season on brown bears too but feared the backlash so confined it to the black bears. As I understood it, income from moose and elk hunters was big business.

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:53 am
by Fuzz
Well I got most of my honey do's and pre snow tasks done so was able to get back on the boat this afternoon. Going to take a while to get all the leaves out of the hull. I swear every leaf in 500 yards ended up in the boat. Nothing picture worthy, lots of cleaning in my future.

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:31 am
by jonnymac
better get the leaf rake out :lol:
Fuzz wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:53 am Well I got most of my honey do's and pre snow tasks done so was able to get back on the boat this afternoon. Going to take a while to get all the leaves out of the hull. I swear every leaf in 500 yards ended up in the boat. Nothing picture worthy, lots of cleaning in my future.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:26 am
by Fuzz
Well I got all the leaves out of the hull but where the engine was is a greasy mess. I think the oil got changed by dumping it in the bilge and leaving it there. Any body got a favourite degreaser? something that will cut heavy crap. Dawn and Simple Green is not cutting it.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:57 am
by jonnymac
I’ve used TSP or powered laundry detergent with small amount of water on occasion.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:54 am
by piperdown
Fuzz wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:26 am Well I got all the leaves out of the hull but where the engine was is a greasy mess. I think the oil got changed by dumping it in the bilge and leaving it there. Any body got a favorite degreaser? something that will cut heavy crap. Dawn and Simple Green is not cutting it.
I've had good luck with the industrial Zep degreaser.
Not sure if any of the people you know up there have a Hotsy you could borrow but they are the absolute best to cut heavy grease. Every diesel shop I've worked at or worked around used Hotsy's to power clean.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:22 am
by fallguy1000
Yeah. You need steam cleaning power.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:37 am
by narfi
We use oil eater. (I think Costco has 5gallon buckets)

For really stubborn stuff I will siphon spray the area down with diesel and let it sit a couple of minutes, then siphon spray it all down with oil eater, let it sit a few more minutes but not long enough to evaporate, then hose it down with the hottest water I can get. I have also used the siphon injection hose on pressure washers with the oil eater and hot water as well, but some stuff just needs a little soak time to loosen up first and diesel won't evaporate, so it gives it that soak time needed.

All of that makes the air pretty nasty though, need a mask and/or lots of fresh air and anyone around hates you for a bit.

If its cold out, and it can't stay in to dry out overnight, final rinse is gas instead of water to prevent anything from freezing up.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:37 pm
by Fuzz
Thanks guys. I will look around and see if I can come up with some form of a Hotsy. I have the boat inside now and do not want to use any real nasty stuff that needs to be aired out.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:07 pm
by OrangeQuest
I would try to stick with water soluble degreasers if you can. They are mostly bio-friendly so can be rinsed down the normal drain. If that isn't working may consider oven cleaner or a petroleum-based paint remover but you would be getting into the more toxic stuff, then.

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:56 am
by pee wee
It sounds like a big job, and the steam cleaning sounds sensible. I've used citrus degreasers when working on smaller stuff and it works well and smells nice, not sure how practical/cost effective it would be for your job.

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:11 am
by Jaysen
This may seem extreme, but what about fire!

I've seen folks use heat guns to loosen the grease then scrape it up. That makes it easier for less caustic chemical options. I saw one idiot use a propane asphalt torch. That ended as expected, but I would encourage Fuzz to try it (but only if there is a video camera monitoring the event).

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:49 am
by Fuzz
For now I will skip the methods involving fire but I am sure I will think of it many times during this project :lol:
Thanks to piperdown I found some Zep and gave it a try. It did a pretty good job for a first pass. One more shot and I think I will be able to work in the area without looking like a total grease monkey.

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:59 am
by cape man
Kitty litter will soak up some of it...

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:58 am
by Fuzz
cape man wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:59 am Kitty litter will soak up some of it...
I will get a bag to help clean up the shop floor from all the crap that has run out the bilge drain.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:45 am
by piperdown
Fuzz wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:49 am For now I will skip the methods involving fire but I am sure I will think of it many times during this project :lol:
Thanks to piperdown I found some Zep and gave it a try. It did a pretty good job for a first pass. One more shot and I think I will be able to work in the area without looking like a total grease monkey.
Glad you found the Zep. Hands down one of the best degreaser's I've used (well, except for some old stuff that's not on the market anymore).

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:52 am
by Fuzz
Well the white crap has arrived and stuck so the outside chores are pretty much done till spring.
I have been able to spend part of the past two days cleaning and trying to pull this thing apart. Where it is glass it is thick and tough as expected. And where it is wood most of the time it is rotten and easy to deal with. The stringers under the engine and back in the stern looked to be bare wood and I thought they would be soft and rotten.
This is a chunk I cut out of a stringer to look at because things are not making sense. The material is about 1.75 inch wide with a skin of 1/8 wood glassed to it. It has been in the bilge, exposed to the elements for 40 years and is hard as a rock. There were a dozen carriage bolts run through it under the engine and no rot in any of them :doh:

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:34 am
by Jaysen
It has to be some type of synthetic like coosa. Hard to tell from the photo. Could it be molded glass that has extra poly in it? Hard to see the unknown material in the pic.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:06 am
by fallguy1000
Looks like wood to me. I see super tight grains.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:14 pm
by jonnymac
could be one of the tropical hardwoods, some of those are closer to aluminum than wood for hardness

could be composite decking too

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:00 pm
by Fuzz
Thanks guys.
The boat was built in 1982 in Washington state. Being that old we can rule out all the new composites I think.
Maybe back then top quality wood was still available in that area? My first though was some form of oak but I would have thought it would be rotten by now. I am no wood expert and just trying to figure out what I am dealing with. Dan you may be right, most likely are, about it being wood but it is damn hard and dense.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:16 pm
by jonnymac
oaks are all ring porous woods, so you would be able to see the pores in the end grain. it looks way dark for oak. Tropical hardwoods have been being imported to washington state since way before that date. Also, sometimes ships made in South American get cut up in boat building areas for other stuff. Could also have been fire treated someway, modifying the natural properties.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:56 pm
by TomW1
Remember guys there are boats built of white oak that were launched 100- 200 years ago still afloat in museums here on the east coast. I don't know what they made boats from on the west coast but cyprus is a long lived wood that they might have used.

Tom

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:39 pm
by Fuzz
One of my old fishing buddies thinks it is ironwood. There was still enough of it around at that time where it was being used to deck over crabbers. Either way I am convinced it is still sound and will stay in place.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:11 pm
by jonnymac
Fuzz wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:39 pm One of my old fishing buddies thinks it is ironwood. There was still enough of it around at that time where it was being used to deck over crabbers. Either way I am convinced it is still sound and will stay in place.
ironwood sounds about right. its like twice as hard as white oak

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:34 pm
by fallguy1000
The only wood I know of with 20 gpi like what I see is redwood. But redwood is really soft in natural state and unlikely hardening it would matter.

So, the next option is lignum vitae or ironwood which has the exact same end grain appearance as redwood (old growth), but is harder than nails.

You've got a real gem there Fuzz.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:57 pm
by Jaysen
If that’s iron wood it’s probably worth more than the boat. Cut it out, sell it for profit, replace with modern synth.

Or smile knowing that those stringers will outlast the next couple motors.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:43 pm
by TomW1
fallguy lignum vitae is native to South America and the Carribean. North American Ironwood is Ostrya Virginian or North American, Canadian ironwood. Fuzz to test if it is ironwood drop it in a bucket of water. If it sinks it is ironwood. If not it is another wood. Only Ironwood has the density to sink. 8)

I still think it still may be Western Red Cedar which is not really a cedar at all. But see here: The soft red-brown timber has a tight, straight grain and few knots. It is valued for its distinct appearance, aroma, and its high natural resistance to decay, being extensively used for outdoor construction in the form of posts, decking, shingles, and siding.[36] It is commonly used for the framing and longwood in lightweight sail boats and kayaks. In larger boats it is often used in sandwich construction between two layers of epoxy resin and/or fibreglass or similar products. Due to its light weight – 390 to 400 kg/m3 (24 to 25 lb/cu ft) dried – it is about 30% lighter than common boat building woods, such as mahogany. For its weight it is quite strong but can be brittle. It glues well with epoxy resin or resorcinol adhesive. It has a very fine grain.

Regards to both of you, Tom

Correct source of lignum vitae.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:46 pm
by cape man
True Lignum Vitae is native to the Caribbean and northern South America. It is the national tree of the Bahamas, and we have a State Park here in Florida named Lignum Vitae Key, about half way down the chain and just north of the road. You can find it growing there and other hardwood hammocks in extreme south Florida. It also sinks, as does ebony and several other tropical hardwoods.

Doubt it is Lignum vitae as even in the 80s it was VERY expensive.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:26 pm
by fallguy1000
Ironwood or Eastern HopHornbeam here in the US almost never grows well enough for commercial production. Around here, it is usually never straight and the end grains are not even close to that picture. It makes great knife handles and other smaller things, but makes little sense to me as a boat timber. Most trees never grow past 30' tall, so the timbers are really small that I have seen.

Certainly not worth arguing, but sharing what I know.

There are a few tests like Tom mentioned.

Another test is simply to count grains per inch. Many woods cannot attain the same amounts. Some woods turn black in the presence of metal, like redwood, which is also soft.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:59 pm
by Fuzz
Well in the ongoing saga of what is it wood I dropped the piece into a 5 gallon bucket of water and it went straight to the bottom. Going to clean it up with a sander and look a little closer at it this evening.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:27 pm
by fallguy1000
Another reason I am thinking lignum is it is super oily and bonding polyester to it is trouble, so they'd use some kind of glue on plywood to be able to glass over it.

Whatever wood it is, it would be over 64# density, and that narrows it down and eliminates mahogany and redwood for sure.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:42 am
by Fuzz
I am thinking you are correct Dan. It seems they glued a thin strip of wood to the hardwood and then glassed the strip to the hull. I sanded off one side and could make out some faint tight wood grain. The piece of wood is that same dark shade all the way through. I am sure poly would never stick to this stuff. I laid some glass with epoxy over the piece tonight and will do a peal test tomorrow evening. I have to say you can sure learn a lot when you pull apart a boat.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:38 am
by fallguy1000
I read up on lignum and it gets darker when exposed to light..fyi

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:45 am
by fallguy1000
cape man wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:46 pm True Lignum Vitae is native to the Caribbean and northern South America. It is the national tree of the Bahamas, and we have a State Park here in Florida named Lignum Vitae Key, about half way down the chain and just north of the road. You can find it growing there and other hardwood hammocks in extreme south Florida. It also sinks, as does ebony and several other tropical hardwoods.

Doubt it is Lignum vitae as even in the 80s it was VERY expensive.
In my reading up on lignum, it says in on google search that lignum suffered from a heavy black market trade. So, it is possible; this boatyard went down to central America and got a black market deal on some direct from a mill. They would have cut out all the middle men and made it more affordable. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but pair what I read with your comment is all. It is sort of strange how Fuzz may have discovered, perhaps, some shady business in the belly of that beast. But one must wonder why lignum..maybe some happenstance versus other mills or who they found to sell to them direct, etc. Or to reduce the stringer height for the design, etc.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:09 pm
by jonnymac
before CITES was enforced for the lumber trade, lots of different lumber was available “legally”. Since washington state is the center of west coast lumber trade pretty much anything would have been available. And some could have been cheap even for expensive species because when volume is available there are always random boards that are left overs and no one wants random inventory. so could also be other similar tropical species that have similar properties. the best place to go to figure out a wood species is https://www.wood-database.com/

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:04 pm
by fallguy1000
jonnymac wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:09 pm before CITES was enforced for the lumber trade, lots of different lumber was available “legally”. Since washington state is the center of west coast lumber trade pretty much anything would have been available. And some could have been cheap even for expensive species because when volume is available there are always random boards that are left overs and no one wants random inventory. so could also be other similar tropical species that have similar properties. the best place to go to figure out a wood species is https://www.wood-database.com/
I checked and lignum wasn't listed on cites until 2003.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:13 pm
by Fuzz
Rawson was a pretty big builder back in the day. They built hundreds of 32 foot boats like mine plus some larger boats also. I just learned they also built a pretty large number of sailboats too. This said I would think it is not likely they would have used any shady materials. Speaking of the wood I did a peel test with epoxy and it did not stick. Maybe do it again after scrubbing the wood with acetone.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:47 am
by Fuzz
How to make yourself look like a snowman?
1 put a 4.5 cutting disk on a grinder. Put a 4.5 inch Zec disk on another grinder.

2 spend the day switching back and forth between them cutting/grinding glass.

I am not saying there was a lot of glass dust but clean up was started with a shovel and later the shop vac :help:
Good news is I only have 10-15 more days like that still to go :cry: Can you say itch?

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:26 am
by jonnymac
sounds like a lot of work!

as far as the itch, I used a product like this at work. It is a barrier cream that fills your pores to keep the fiberglass out. works for oils and other things that would stain skin too.

Cavilon 3M Durable Barrier Cream Unscented 3.25 Ounce (92G) Tube by Cavilon 2 tubes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CYPUUYK/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:02 pm
by Fuzz
I have not given up on this project. Mother nature is showing what she thinks of global warming around here. -21 here this morning. Too cold to heat my shop enough to work in. But better here than ten miles inland. It was -40 there this morning. :help:

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:08 pm
by Jeff
Wow Fuzz, that is really cold!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:20 pm
by Fuzz
Yep looks like we are looking at single digit highs with multiple digit minus lows for the next week or more :cry:

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:26 am
by Jeff
Fuzz, how do you heat your home with temps that cold?? Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:01 pm
by Fuzz
My home is split level five star energy rated. The basement has radiant heat from a hot water boiler mounted remote. In the entry there is a Toyo diesel fired 40,000 btu heater. As long as the temps are above zero the heat from downstairs is all that is needed. When it is below zero the Toyo will need to run to keep things warm. Bad part is with the huge jump is fuel prices the old pocket book is feeling it.

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:16 pm
by Jeff
Sounds like a great system Fuzz!!! And yes, prices are crazy now!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:59 pm
by Fuzz
Warmed up here yesterday so we got snow and I spent most of the day plowing snow.
I did get a little time on the boat and got the prop broke loose from the shaft. At times that can be a real bear but it went my way pretty easy. Next is removing the rudder so I can get the prop off and then pull the shaft. Pulling the rudder might be a chore but will fight that battle tomorrow.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:25 am
by cape man
Bite at a time...

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:31 am
by Jeff
Just keep at it Fuzz!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:07 am
by Fuzz
Got the rudder off, removed the prop my home-made prop puller worked great, pulled the shaft. The shaft did not want to come out but a come-a-long and a little light tapping convinced it to come my way. No joy with the shaft :cry: The stuffing box had been over tightened instead of replacing the packing so 1/8 or more of the shaft was worn away.
I will post some pictures tomorrow but not much of this is picture worthy just takes lots of time. All the bolts had been covered with SplashZone. If you have never used it then you have no idea of just how tough it is. It is a two part epoxy puddy made for under water work.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:46 am
by OrangeQuest
Any of these pieces good enough to reuse?

I miss the days of trying to figure out ways to get things done that require a little thought. Care to give a few details of how you got to the bolts covered in splashzone?

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:34 pm
by Fuzz
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:46 am Any of these pieces good enough to reuse?

I miss the days of trying to figure out ways to get things done that require a little thought. Care to give a few details of how you got to the bolts covered in splashzone?
Well you would love what I am doing then :lol: I am thinking about cutting the shaft log out and dropping it a couple inches so I can run a 24inch prop. Not sure if I will do it or not got to do some more head scratching.
The old cuttlass bearing housing is still in good shape. Really surprised that the rudder stuffing box is bad, the tail was broken and I have no idea how that could happen. And 13 foot of 1.5 inch shaft is worn badly in the stuffing box area.
One reason for me doing this is I have lots of good parts laying around and so far the bad parts are things I have replacements for.
About the SplashZone it is about like clay when mixed together, two part stuff. After it is hard it is tough but a little brittle. Brittle works as I used an air chisel to break it apart and off of stuff. Amazing how well it sticks to stuff.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:56 am
by Fuzz
Might not look like much but it has taken two days to get her butt all cleaned off. I am thinking about cutting the old shaft log out and dropping it 2-3 inches. Will scratch my head on it for a few days.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:28 am
by fallguy1000
Do you have the engine/transmission you plan to use?

I'd be a bit nervous with the bigger prop idea unless you are sure the setup would work and the shaft size is big enough and the shaft length not getting too long and the angles are known, etc.

Maybe old Tomw can run a program for you on it?

Also. That boat was designed for cargo you won't have, so you are gonna want to change the screw pitch methinks.

The deeper running prop can also hit more stuff...

You are probably way ahead of me on all of it..curious about it all..

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:04 am
by jonnymac
they ever do spray weld repairs on those shafts? what does the 24” propeller get you vs the stock one? Look forward to seeing what the next step is.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:43 am
by Jeff
Nice project Fuzz!!! Stay warm!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:59 am
by OrangeQuest
As always, your project is becoming more interesting the deeper you get into it. Like Fallguy, I was thinking about how the lowering of the shaft would work with the angle difference, if any or would the angle remain the same just be deeper? If the latter is the case that would mean the motor would also need to move?

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:17 pm
by Fuzz
When built this boat had two goals. Run in very shallow water and pack lots of fish. This meant the motor was way far forward and the centre was open to hold fish. With the tunnel and engine so far forward the shaft angle is only 4 degree. I want to move the engine back a bunch but can not because the shaft is too low further back. A steeper shaft angle will let me set the engine back. Marine engines are set up to run tail down. Think about a boat running on step the bow is always up. The engine set up I will use has a 7 degree down angle tranny on it. I am pretty sure I can get away with a shaft angle of 10 degrees.
About the old shaft I have seen them built up before and it works. But in this case I do not think it is the best option. That part remains to be seen. Remember I said I have a bunch of good parts laying around to use. That includes a shaft and 24 inch prop :D
Cutting the keel and installing a new shaft log are the two most daunting parts of this project. And frankly I am not sure I will be able to make it happen :help: At this point all I have invested is my time so if I fail I have not lost much.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:19 pm
by fallguy1000
Fuzz wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:17 pm When built this boat had two goals. Run in very shallow water and pack lots of fish. This meant the motor was way far forward and the centre was open to hold fish. With the tunnel and engine so far forward the shaft angle is only 4 degree. I want to move the engine back a bunch but can not because the shaft is too low further back. A steeper shaft angle will let me set the engine back. Marine engines are set up to run tail down. Think about a boat running on step the bow is always up. The engine set up I will use has a 7 degree down angle tranny on it. I am pretty sure I can get away with a shaft angle of 10 degrees.
About the old shaft I have seen them built up before and it works. But in this case I do not think it is the best option. That part remains to be seen. Remember I said I have a bunch of good parts laying around to use. That includes a shaft and 24 inch prop :D
Cutting the keel and installing a new shaft log are the two most daunting parts of this project. And frankly I am not sure I will be able to make it happen :help: At this point all I have invested is my time so if I fail I have not lost much.
U can do it...might be best with cad, though..

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:09 pm
by Fuzz
You have no idea of what fun is until you spend the day chipping concrete out of a boat keel. I would share the fun but I would need to charge for the pleasure :lol: Crappy cell phone picture. I will try to get a better one tonight. Need to eat dinner before going back for round two.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:44 pm
by jonnymac
There is a safe distance between us that, i can say keep that fun there! That looks like something Andy Dufresne would have been doing to pass the time.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:18 pm
by fallguy1000
Ugh. Ferro.

David...that boat was designed for a certain amount of weight down low with a concrete keel and fish holds.

You will need ballast. Water and holding tanks and fuel tanks all low are probably not even enough.

I'm thinking lead... like a bunch? Say half of the fish hold weight?

Anyhow, consider it conversational. I'm just nervous she's gonna really get wild on you abeam.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:44 am
by Fuzz
Little better picture of what I am dealing with. I have seen shaft logs built out of lots of things but this is the first one I have seen out of PVC. First time having to deal with a bunch of concrete in the keel too.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:01 am
by Fuzz
Dan I appreciate your thoughts. Any time you remove low weight it can be a problem. One way to help is to remove high weight to offset things. In this case these carried close to 2000 pounds on deck and above when light but in fishing mode. I am hoping losing 3-400 pounds down low will be more than offset by not carrying all that high weight.
Speaking of weight I hope to put it back together a lot lighter overall than it was.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:39 am
by fallguy1000
My vision of your plan would be to move the cabin forward and make ir bigger, thus creating more weight up top. But perhaps the materials can change and you build the house with foam for some r value or light
Ply and 2" polystyrene for some heat.

Anyhow, don't give up. It is super cool project. I just have a vision of all these weights exiting. Do you know the old waterline?

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:51 am
by Jaysen
There’s is a lot more weight in commercial fishing gear and retrieval hardware than there would be in the cabin. My guess is that Fuzz won’t be adding that hardware back reducing over a ton in weight above the rotational axis.

I think.

That concrete… that is the killer of local boat restoration dreams. Not sure when it was popular but a concrete keel seems to send boats straight to the scrap pile down here. I applaud your level of insanity. I’m happy to watch from a safe distance.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:30 am
by fallguy1000
Jaysen wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:51 am There’s is a lot more weight in commercial fishing gear and retrieval hardware than there would be in the cabin. My guess is that Fuzz won’t be adding that hardware back reducing over a ton in weight above the rotational axis.

I think.

That concrete… that is the killer of local boat restoration dreams. Not sure when it was popular but a concrete keel seems to send boats straight to the scrap pile down here. I applaud your level of insanity. I’m happy to watch from a safe distance.
Okay, I forgot about the deck gear...that'll help 4 sure...but still gonna be hard to make loaded waterline with even the fishhold. A 6x6x3 fishbox is 100 cuft divide 0.134 cuft/gallon or about a 700 gallon box at 8# or 5600 pounds of water n fish. It is a curious problem..

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:51 pm
by Fuzz
Dan the water line was close to what you see on the first page of this thread. Jaysen is correct and I will not be putting all the fishing gear back on the boat. The fish hold would take about 12,000 pounds in stock form. I have stacked over 20,000 on this boat. As long as you keep the weight centred and the boat level it is amazing how much they will carry.
The plan is to keep things as light as possible. There will not be anything fancy or yacht like about this boat. I am tired of getting beat up on my fishing trips and the best way to prevent it is with a longer waterline. Thus the loss of my sanity :lol:

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:06 am
by cape man
This project will certainly keep you busy over the winter! Keep plugging along. You need to finish by summer of '23. We're driving from Key West to Deadhorse and back starting in April after I retire. You'll have to put at least my 175 lbs on deck to see how she rides... 8)

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:36 am
by fallguy1000
cape man wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:06 am This project will certainly keep you busy over the winter! Keep plugging along. You need to finish by summer of '23. We're driving from Key West to Deadhorse and back starting in April after I retire. You'll have to put at least my 175 lbs on deck to see how she rides... 8)
I got a feeling you'll be sanding about then.

Hehehe

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:52 am
by Fuzz
cape man wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:06 am This project will certainly keep you busy over the winter! Keep plugging along. You need to finish by summer of '23. We're driving from Key West to Deadhorse and back starting in April after I retire. You'll have to put at least my 175 lbs on deck to see how she rides... 8)
You do know Mila will have to go too :lol: We are looking forward to seeing you guys here again.

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:40 am
by Jeff
Wow Fuzz, that is crazy!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:30 pm
by Fuzz
So is this a problem or a commitment?
Three days and one worn out air chisel and I am about 60% done with getting all the dang concrete out of this thing. I hope :!:

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:34 pm
by Fuzz
Jaysen wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:51 am That concrete… that is the killer of local boat restoration dreams. Not sure when it was popular but a concrete keel seems to send boats straight to the scrap pile down here. I applaud your level of insanity. I’m happy to watch from a safe distance.
I am not too sure if I had known what I was getting into I would have.
Just so you know Jaysen I am still open to offers from those who would like to have some of this fun :D

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:42 am
by jonnymac
I’d start to question weather you “need” all of it out, but either way. Its coming along and I can’t wait to see the next step.

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 am
by Jaysen
I would say there is indication of a problem there… not sure it is with the boat though.

You know I would hop up there and take a stab at that thing with you. Problem is that there are only 2 weeks a year I can survive up there. 😀

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:46 am
by Jeff
Again, wow Fuzz!!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:53 am
by glossieblack
Fuzz, I'm really enjoying the twists and turns of your intriguing wooden boat rescue. And I'm enjoying the suspense of not knowing what re-purposed boat you're building towards. :wink:

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:21 pm
by Fuzz
glossieblack wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:53 am Fuzz, I'm really enjoying the twists and turns of your intriguing wooden boat rescue. And I'm enjoying the suspense of not knowing what re-purposed boat you're building towards. :wink:
It is good to hear from you and to know you are back at home all safe and sound.
This is not a wood boat. It is a solid glass hull built in the early 80's as a Bristol Bay gillnetter. The plan is to rebuild it as a sport fishing boat that we are able to take longer trips on. The ongoing keel work is so I can set the engine back and not have it in the middle of the cabin.
I do not want a yacht. I want a rough and ready boat that can be used with no fear of little bumps and bruises or getting it dirty. One thing that makes this worth while is I have many of the needed parts laying around. I just need this old body to hold up and allow it to happen.
Well off to plow some more snow and the chip some concrete.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:30 pm
by cape man
20180813_120602.jpg
How long to get the concrete out with my help?

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:59 pm
by Fuzz
Sorry CapeMan but you might have missed your chance to chip some concrete. I got to thinking about what johnnyman said about needing to get it all out and decided 90% is good enough. Almost impossible to reach down to the keel bottom and get the last little bit out :help: I have plenty of room to get the new shaft log in and that was the point of this little task.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:06 pm
by Jaysen
I have a concern. And it isn’t about the silliness of living in such inhospitable climates….

If you don’t replace the concrete with something else, will the keel have sufficient structural integrity?

I’m thinking the concrete is kind of like a core. It adds support to the outer skins.

What’s the plan?

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:36 am
by Fuzz
Fair question Jaysen. Most glass boats I have seen have hollow keels. In some cases they will be filled with something but that is not normal. If the glass is thick enough no filler is needed. In this case the keel was filled only in the back third and hollow for the rest of the way. The glass runs from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick. I am sure that is more than enough to provide all the strength needed. Best I can figure is there was 300-400 pounds of concrete in the keel. I am not sure why, maybe for trim or it was just an easy and fast way to seal the shaft log? I do know that with larger boats it was common to float the boat and then fill with concrete as needed for trim and to get the hull down on its lines.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:37 am
by fallguy1000
They put concrete to make it indelible against ice or rocks or logs.

Cheap ballast as well, like you said. But brings me back to wonder how you will ballast.

with your talent; you may want to consider a ballast tank, where you can pump water in to help make the ride better and out to deal with freezing weather...easier now then later

If you want a nice fishing cockpit; the tendency for you to be heavy forward might happen; so aft tanks might make sense...of course, I am speculating on all of it

Sticking my neck out for you. Please don't chop it off. Dan

remember how the Bertram rebuilders have to build heavy...

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:12 pm
by Fuzz
I am sure there will be some balance issues to work out. I feel removing 3-400 pounds from the keel is more than offset by the removal of all the fishing equipment. But I am moving 2000# of engine and gear back about 4 foot and have to plan for that.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:40 pm
by TomW1
Man Fuzz you are going to have a lot of Center of Gravity calculations to make. I would start a spread sheet for every thing you move and remove from what you can guestimate the current CoG is. Just moving your 2000lb engine and gear back 4' affects CoG by 8000lbs, somethkng you have to adjust for some way.

Regards and good luck, Tom

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:20 pm
by Fuzz
As built all the weight was in the front and rear thirds with the middle empty to be able to hold fish. The stern had two 150 gallon fuel tanks and on deck above that was the net reel and gear. The bow held the engine, people and all the gear for living on the boat. With all that weight forward the boat did not pick the nose up much when running. The only one I was around that picked the bow up and ran pretty good had the engine moved back some. I do not want to retain the old balance but I am not sure how much change I really want. I guess it will be a case of best guess???

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:14 pm
by fallguy1000
I'm with Tom some.

Maybe some estimates of all the weights.

You could even back into moments with a spreadsheet.

But I would build a tank in the front and a tank in the back for ballasting based on what you have said. Yeah, I know it is pumps and stuff to buy, but it'd be so nice to dial her in. Not sure if you cut away the entire fish hold, but it might be the roght home for a single tank.

Years ago, I bought a 22' Chris Craft Sedan Cruiser from a guy. He said he was coming back in 6 footers one day and the boat got super squirrely. He opened the bilge and flooded 6" of water into it and the boat ran slow, but like a dream. I almost didn't want to tell you because in Alaska, opening the boat to the sea is a major no-no. But I trust your wisdom enough. The boat got burned...sadly. It was beautiful douglas fir and not mahogany and they jist don't have the value..

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:17 pm
by Fuzz
Pulled the boat outside so I could do some shop clean up. Turned out I did that just in time to get it filled with a couple feet of snow. When I do get it back inside it will have to melt for a couple of days before I can mess with it. :roll:

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:42 pm
by fallguy1000
We got 17" last nite, but that is unusual for us.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:47 am
by Fuzz
We only average around 5 foot a year so 2 foot in one dump is not normal. Just south of here Homer Alaska is getting dumped on. Back to back 4 foot dumps. Between here and there is some 1000 foot higher ground that has well over 10 foot and building. The snowmachine crowd is having a great winter.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:40 am
by cape man
The rivers will run hard with the spring melt. What does that do for fishing?

We still have not had any snow for 44 years.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:08 am
by jonnymac
the good news with that much snow in the boat the concrete dust is going to wash out of the boat. 🤣

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:34 pm
by Fuzz
cape man wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:40 am The rivers will run hard with the spring melt. What does that do for fishing?

We still have not had any snow for 44 years.
Yeh well X-mas would not be the same with no snow. Woke up to a nice balmy -20 this morning :help: Weather is going to end some boat work until it warms up a bit.

What happens to the rivers in spring mostly depends on how warm it gets up in the mountains. The low levels can soak up lots of water and release it back in a somewhat controlled rate.

I hosed the inside of the boat down good before pulling it outside. The snow will just make sure I did not miss a spot. :lol:

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:39 pm
by fallguy1000
Yuk.
AC2ADCBB-ACFA-4D80-8BA4-895B0E2F5361.png

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:15 am
by Fuzz
Those places are all inland so they get a lot colder being away from the ocean. hotter in the summer too. In fact sometimes really hot in inland Alaska. Believe it or not the all time high temp in Alaska and Miami FL are the same. Sunday morning we left the house it was -11. Drove to church about 10 miles inland and it was -20. The big water heater do make a difference.
Going to be cold for the next three days so the boat is outside so I can put a car or two in the shop. I have some boat parts to make and hope to do that during this cold spell.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:48 pm
by Fuzz
Been doing some small things but the holidays and weather have things slowed down. Speaking of weather here is the Homer small boat harbour 80 miles south of here. Not too often you see salt water like this.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:03 pm
by Jaysen
No.

Just no

Nopity nope nope.

You keep that crap up there. Please.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:07 pm
by narfi
Seeing as I have spend all my life around freshwater..... How do ice and tides interact?

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:30 pm
by Fuzz
narfi wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:07 pm Seeing as I have spend all my life around freshwater..... How do ice and tides interact?
Are we talking about river mouths,harbours, or open ocean? Upper Cook Inlet can have solid ice pans running shore to shore if it gets cold and stays that way for a few weeks. Winds and currents will break up the ice over time if it warms up. As a young fellow I saw moose walking around the oil platforms 10 miles offshore. Once the lower river freezes over when the tides goes out the ice is grounded. Fresh water flowing by with cold air builds an iceberg, Repeat over and over and you get some really thick ice in the tidal areas.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:36 pm
by narfi
That makes sense, I was thinking specifically the harbor in your picture.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:48 pm
by fallguy1000
Fuzz wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:30 pm
narfi wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:07 pm Seeing as I have spend all my life around freshwater..... How do ice and tides interact?
Are we talking about river mouths,harbours, or open ocean? Upper Cook Inlet can have solid ice pans running shore to shore if it gets cold and stays that way for a few weeks. Winds and currents will break up the ice over time if it warms up. As a young fellow I saw moose walking around the oil platforms 10 miles offshore. Once the lower river freezes over when the tides goes out the ice is grounded. Fresh water flowing by with cold air builds an iceberg, Repeat over and over and you get some really thick ice in the tidal areas.
Interesting stuff.

Now what in tarnation (thanks Denver Pyle) was that moose doing that far offshore?

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:02 pm
by Jeff
Wow, that is crazy!!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:47 pm
by Fuzz
No telling what the moose was doing. They just do what ever their moose brain says with no rime or reason. I heard a "rumour" that moose got trapped on the ice and was "rescued" by one of the work boats that had a deck crane :roll:
Been a little cool here the past few weeks but it is forecast to warm up early next week. We will see :D

As far as I know the tide does not cause a lot of problem with the ice. But to be fair I have never kept a boat in the water over the winter.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:26 pm
by cape man
20220106_175737.jpg
No ice. No jacket. No shoes....

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:22 pm
by Jeff
Very cool Cape Man!!! You guys have great time!!! Happy New Year, Jeff

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:28 pm
by Fuzz
cape man wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:26 pm 20220106_175737.jpg

No ice. No jacket. No shoes....
I got nothing but tears...................................butt head :lol:

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:02 pm
by Fuzz
All the glass guys are busy around here so I built my own shaft log.

As it is eight feet long I was afraid of the pipe getting stuck in the log. I wrapped the pipe with 4-5 layers of masking paper and then covered that with shipping tape. I then waxed the tape with mold release wax a couple of times. Still worried a little after the wax dried I shot a coating of pva over that.
A good buddy came over to help lay the glass and that all went well. After the epoxy cured I went to pull the tube and you guessed it the dang thing is stuck :cry:
Next up will be the pulling of the tube fun.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:36 pm
by jonnymac
since fiberglass and pvc have different expansion(contraction) rates. of which I believe based on some research epoxy expands and contracts more than pvc. So put it outside and get it nice and cold, with the ends of the pvc capped. maybe even stick ice inside Then bring it inside (warm enviroment) and put an electric blanket on it or something to heat the outside, while pushing the pvc out.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:05 pm
by fallguy1000
Can you sacrifice any of the shaft log?

I found that a threaded rod passed through the fiberglass portion and bolted on each side offered some leverage.

Then anchor one side so it can't budge.

Then I used an air chisel, but not the way it sounds. I used the hammer effect of the air chisel to back the part out of the mould. The only trouble is how thick is the glass on the part and can it take any hammering and can the rod hold up to the chisel or do you need to modify a bit so it doesn't cut the rod, etc. Mine was 3 layers of 1708 and by the end of the job; it had to be reholed once for more hole. The hole distorts and eventually fails. But I had enough part to let some damage happen.

There is a good chance you are screwed. I had wrapped mine with thin mason line and removed it all and it was still stuck and was larger. The mould was my aluminum crossbeams.

The phenomena you missed is that epoxy shrinks quite a bit when it cures. Even rope or line can be trouble if it breaks off inside.

Another thing you could try is chemicals. Epoxy is inert in many. Pvc may not be. If you can find a chemical that softens pvc and not epoxy; it could work as a destructive method. Acetone melts pvc, but it'll damage epoxy as well.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:12 pm
by fallguy1000
Another option would be to post cure the epoxy. 2 hours at 155f with the tube in it. One hour slow cool down.

Then take the entire thing up to 175 for an hour. The pvc should melt and gravity should create a gap on one side. Turn it 90 degrees and do it again. See if it'll pop out or keep turning and heating it.

No flames! Wear an organic respirator at the oven.

You can use a pressure cooker with a hose and run it i to a piece of heat duct. Not sure if you have a better way to make 175F heat no flame, but this is less than water boiling.

Check the HDT of the epoxy you used first.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:43 pm
by Fuzz
Jonnymac and Dan thank both of you for the suggestions. I ended up using my training as a kid on drill rigs. Use enough force and it will either come or come into. I pinned the log down and put a two ton come-a-long on the pipe. It came but not without putting up a heck of a fight.
Good news is I have plenty length and will be able to trim both ends off and clean them up.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:02 am
by cape man
Come alongs are awesome tools!

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:01 am
by fallguy1000
Glad you got it apart.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:34 pm
by Jeff
Nice Fuzz, glad you were able to get it apart!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:27 pm
by VT_Jeff
That's a "shaft tree"!

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:45 pm
by TomW1
Well done Fuzz. 8) Tom

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:39 pm
by Fuzz
VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:27 pm That's a "shaft tree"!
Hopefully more like a lodge pole pine than an oak tree :lol:

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:47 pm
by glossieblack
Just curious. Why not build a shaft log by glasssing around a pvc pipe then leaving it there?

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:09 pm
by Fuzz
glossieblack wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:47 pm Just curious. Why not build a shaft log by glasssing around a pvc pipe then leaving it there?
That is a very good question. My problem was size. I am using a 2 inch shaft. The stuffing box is 3 inch ID. So I needed something that was bigger than two inch plus some a little clearance room. The closest I could come up with was 2 inch electrical that was 2 3/8 od. By the time I wrapped the pipe I was close to 2.5 inch. That let me have a 1/4 inch glass wall and be at 3 inch od. I would have loved to have found the right tube to have been able to leave it in there. The boat had a 1.5 inch shaft and all they did was install a piece of 2 inch pvc and then pore concrete around it.
The root cause of all this and why I removed the old shaft log is the angle was so flat it forced the engine to be way too far forward. That worked for a work boat but not so good for a play boat.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:44 pm
by fallguy1000
Makes sense to me. No way would I want the engine to far for'd.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:40 am
by Fuzz
Been a while since my last post. I ended up doing the one thing I did not want to do and that is cut out the old main stringers. They were too narrow for the new engine. Cutting them out of this old girl was no fun at all.
I know I have talked about Zec grinding disks before but they are worth mentioning again. All I can say is if you want to really move some glass they are the answer! Compared to them your usual 40 grit flap disk is like hand sanding. Another handy thing for cutting glass is a thin cut off disk on a grinder. Does not work on wood but they will run right through straight glass. Needless to say a full face respirator is a must. You will look like Frosty when you use either one.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:06 am
by fallguy1000
I thought Mother Nature gave you all the snow you need.

:lol: :lol:

Looks pretty clean. Probably came that way?

:lol: :lol:

-15F here this am

Got Covid; goin back to sleep

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:23 am
by Jeff
Nice & clean work Fuzz!!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:11 am
by Fuzz
Got to spend another day with the grinders today :roll: I am prepping to install the new stringers. Hope to make a good start on them tomorrow. We will see how it goes.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:24 am
by glossieblack
Looks like you've got the most shitty jobs behind you. Hoping so ... :D

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:58 am
by cape man
20220123_102850.jpg
How's the weather up there? 8)

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:41 pm
by Fuzz
glossieblack wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:24 am Looks like you've got the most shitty jobs behind you. Hoping so ... :D
You and me both! I hate having to pick up the grinders but it is part of the job that can not be avoided. I try to do the grinding at the end of the day so I can go straight from there to the rain locker.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:47 pm
by Fuzz
cape man wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:58 am 20220123_102850.jpg

How's the weather up there? 8)
Did any one ever tell you that you have a mean streak :?: :roll:

What makes it worse is the winter we are having this year. Snow then real cold, warm up and rain, turn everything into glare ice so slick you have to wear ice cleats outside, repeat and repeat :cry: This winter has sucked and is not getting any better. Looks like I get to spend the day plowing snow.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:26 pm
by cape man
It froze here Monday while I was camping. Whacked all the semi-tropical plants around the house. Going to freeze harder Saturday night. Everything is inside or covered. Cold here is "different".

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:25 pm
by Jaysen
If I can see my breath down here it is too cold to be outside (unless sailing). Now call me weak (the wife does) but that’s my rule.

I will mention that I have heat on the helms. That and the ability to make hot drinks underway. Otherwise … see that breath and go back to bed.

Here’s were Fuzz’s head explodes… breath is generally visible at about 50 if humidity is high.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:34 pm
by Fuzz
Part of being cold comes from the temperature change. If you are used to 90 and it drops to 60 you are cold. If it ha been -20 and it warms up to 30 you are hot. I do know that damp cold some places get sure feels colder than what the temp really is.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:39 pm
by Fuzz
So the bottom of the hull inside not very level and needed a gap to prevent hard spots. I cut a piece of Divinacell to set the stringers on.
And will be glassing them down,
That will give me something to do for the next few days. :roll:

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:23 am
by cape man
Awesome work David. I need it in the water next summer.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:19 am
by fallguy1000
Okay, why the fire extinguisher there?

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:28 pm
by Fuzz
fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:19 am Okay, why the fire extinguisher there?
I had never used a cut off wheel on glass before and did not know if it would make enough heat to cause a major problem or not. I keep a water hose in the hull with me also.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:29 pm
by Fuzz
cape man wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:23 am Awesome work David. I need it in the water next summer.
I sure hope to have it in the water by then but we will see. I am noticing that at my age it sure takes longer to get stuff done :cry:

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:36 pm
by Jaysen
Fuzz wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:28 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:19 am Okay, why the fire extinguisher there?
I had never used a cut off wheel on glass before and did not know if it would make enough heat to cause a major problem or not. I keep a water hose in the hull with me also.
I figured you need to have a bonfire going just to keep the electrons flowing through your grinder since all atomic particles stop moving at absolute 0.

How much solid precipitation you all have up there? I almost sent you a picture of me working outside in my shirt sleeves but the mrs said that was mean.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:12 pm
by Fuzz
We have about three foot of snow on the ground now. It would have been a lot more but we have had a few warm ups with rain that melted away and into ice. We got around a foot the last two days so I spent my morning getting that cleaned up.
About the mean part not to worry CapeMan has got that covered :lol: But in a few months you guys will be cooking and we will be smiling.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:14 pm
by Jaysen
I’ve been there in your “hot days”. Y’all need to chat with the almighty and request recalibration of the thermostat. And down here we have antidote to summer… sweet tea, porches and fans. Add a bit of saltwater breeze with a touch of sunset and no one remembers to look at the thermometer.

😛

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:11 am
by Fuzz
Good thing most folks feel like you about living here. But in the past two years there sure has been a lot of folks from down south buying property in this area. I think most of it is folks buying summer homes.
Sitting on the porch drinking ice tea I understand but how people can work in your summer weather just evades me.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:48 am
by cape man
Just to make you feel better...
20220130_072816.jpg
We hit 28 F for several hours early this morning. Ran water to keep the pipes from busting.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:50 pm
by Fuzz
Dang dude I hope you survive! I never worry much about my water freezing but the lines are 14 foot down :roll:

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:00 am
by cape man
The one that busted in 2010 was 12 feet up in the air! Froze again this morning.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:25 pm
by Fuzz
cape man wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:00 am The one that busted in 2010 was 12 feet up in the air! Froze again this morning.
Does having the water lines high in the air help keep them from freezing? Here the deeper they are the less chance of freezing. That as long as you are not where there is permafrost. Mine are down in the water table. The only place you need to worry about is where they come up into buildings.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:30 pm
by Jaysen
Uh no. But you have to get them up to the bottom of those somehow. I’m betting his domicile is on stilts.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:37 pm
by Fuzz
Yep I know for a fact his home is on stilts. I know my question might sound strange unless you have spent time in real cold weather. My sister and BIL had a home in Eagle Alaska. It was on a hill about 200 foot above town. In the winter it might be -30 at their house and when you drop down into town it would be -60 :help: Cold can really settle into low spots.
I think a couple of months mid winter there would be good for Jaysen. Never be cold at home again :wink: :roll:

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:59 am
by Jaysen
You’re an evil man fuzz. Evil.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:12 pm
by Fuzz
Spent part of every day this past week plowing snow. And the forecast is for more most of next week :cry: Really puts a crimp into boat building :x

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:23 pm
by Fuzz
Well it looks like my boat building will be put on hold for a while. The boat has a keel problem and so does the builder. I am shopping around for a good repair man who can fix my keel, I can fix the boats myself.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:51 pm
by VT_Jeff
Sorry to hear that Fuzz, hope you find the right person and get back on your keel asap!

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:19 pm
by TomW1
O'man Fuzz sorry to hear that. Hope you can find someone quickly and get back to work on the boat. Well good luck to you! Hope it does not cost to much. :(

Tom

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:08 pm
by fallguy1000
Hope it ain't too serious David.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:37 am
by Fuzz
Thanks guys!
So far it looks like arthritis in the spine. Not sure what can be done but I am looking around for the right guy. I just returned from a trip to AZ to see my sister and a old buddy. Side note a MRI there was 1/34 the price our local hospital charges. Not sure how they get away with those kind of charges other than being the only one in 150 miles.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:14 am
by fallguy1000
Fuzz wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:37 am Thanks guys!
So far it looks like arthritis in the spine. Not sure what can be done but I am looking around for the right guy. I just returned from a trip to AZ to see my sister and a old buddy. Side note a MRI there was 1/34 the price our local hospital charges. Not sure how they get away with those kind of charges other than being the only one in 150 miles.
MRI are often done by desperate people. They can't always afford to drive far for them. Machines are expensive and have limited life, so it could be they do fewer there and have a more captive audience.

My back ain't too good. I have some exercises that help. Surgeon looked and said unless you can't feel am extremity; no surgery. So, I get needle pains in my feet now n then and some sciatica burn in left leg. Exercise, no heavy lifting, lumbar pillow for all car rides more than 5 miles, tylenol, ibuprofen help me. Now and then some tylenol 3. I could never cut wood and split it, for example. I still can cut up a tree, but I usually pay for about a week and that is not moving more than the limbs out of my way cutting. And now n then it takes a serious few days of effort at walking if I get spasms. Biggest problem for me has been getting painkillers. I need about 36 a year for my basic survival and these doctors have gotten so tight, their asses squeak when I tell them the need. I itch like hell from narcotics, amd have to take benedryl with them which makes me even more tired and so I sleep. But exercise helps me, only I do hate doing them, so always cracking the whip on myself.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:27 am
by Jeff
Sorry Fuzz!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:49 pm
by TomW1
Sorry to hear that Fuzz. I am to the point that I have arthritis in about every joint. I take 3 blue pills a day. Good luck to you. Tom

fallguy back pain is the worse there is. Mine started while I was in the Navy 40 years ago. Standing on those steel decks let my back give out so after every 7 month cruise I ended up in the hospital and then at home flat on my back for bed rest for about a month each time. It still kicks up from time to time, and I normally cannot stand for more than 20-30 minutes without sitting down. I still wear a back brace when traveling or doing anything llaborious. Well good luck to you also. Tom

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:10 pm
by cape man
Pot is legal in Alaska...

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:04 am
by Fuzz
cape man wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:10 pm Pot is legal in Alaska...
I think they just made it legal all over the nation. My problem is every time I tried it two things happened. After about 10-15 minutes I had to go puke and then go to sleep. Not much grass for this fella :help:

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:40 am
by fallguy1000
I don't puke, but it makes me sleepy as hell. What fun is that?

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:58 am
by Jaysen
Well… when the partaken is in so much pain they can’t sleep, it is a god send. I don’t like the opioids and legal Jane would be a much preferred option in my house. But so far… nope. Not for us.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:09 am
by fallguy1000
Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:58 am Well… when the partaken is in so much pain they can’t sleep, it is a god send. I don’t like the opioids and legal Jane would be a much preferred option in my house. But so far… nope. Not for us.
Good point. Sleep is my biggest problem with pain.

Fuzz-how close are you to water and where was the big boat going to be kept?

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:03 pm
by Fuzz
Dan I live about a mile from the mouth of the Kasilof river where it runs into Cook Inlet. I was planning on keeping the boat in Homer about a 100 miles away. I have a trailer for it so was planning on hauling it home at the end of the season. It is a pain to keep a boat in the water over the winter months.

I know lots of people who swear by grass for pain management but I have never tried it. Like I said the only times I tried it I did not like the results.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:56 pm
by fallguy1000
My buddy developed a hardcore psychological addiction to weed. He was spending $400 a month for medical marijuana. After awhile, he wasn't even sure he needed it for pain or brain.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:19 pm
by VT_Jeff
Fuzz wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:03 pm Dan I live about a mile from the mouth of the Kasilof river where it runs into Cook Inlet. I was planning on keeping the boat in Homer about a 100 miles away. I have a trailer for it so was planning on hauling it home at the end of the season. It is a pain to keep a boat in the water over the winter months.

I know lots of people who swear by grass for pain management but I have never tried it. Like I said the only times I tried it I did not like the results.
Try a 1/1 5mg edible, 5mg thc, 5 mg cbd. Cut it in half at first till you get it dialed in where it helps with the pain but leaves your brain alone. Will not make you sick, may make you sleepy. Amazing how well it helps my arthritis pain.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:02 pm
by Aripeka Angler
David, sorry to hear about your back. Just now reading about it. Sandi takes some kind of stinging nettle concoction that keeps her arthritis at bay. If you are interested, let me know.
As for the boat, looking good! That’s a helluva project!

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:27 pm
by Fuzz
Great to hear from you buddy! I will try to call you over the weekend and catch up :D

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:11 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Happy birthday!

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:08 pm
by Jeff
David, Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a great one!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:02 pm
by narfi
Happy Birthday!!!!

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:12 pm
by glossieblack
Happy birthday Fuzz! Enjoy. :D

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:13 pm
by TomW1
Happy birthday and many more. Tom

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:16 pm
by Fuzz
Thank you very much Richard, Jeff, Narfi, Michael and Tom. Not sure how I feel about reaching the point where "old man" fits. I can say if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.................well maybe if it did not cost too much fun :lol:

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:52 am
by pee wee
Hope you had a great day! They say use it or lose it, somewhere in there is the message "just go for it", I think. :D

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:10 am
by Jeff
David, Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a great one!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:11 am
by Jeff
Great comments David!! You just have to keep having fun!!!! Jeff