Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lost my mind

Post by Jeff »

Good progress Fuzz!!! Jeff

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I’m looking forward to seeing the progress. I expect this to be a cool build. I would love to find something similar to this around my parts one day.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

they make aluminum ones too and its amazing how much better the ones for the specific material work.

Boat looks like an fun project
Fuzz wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:00 am
cape man wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:40 pm So did they pay you to haul it away? :lol:
Nope but the price was right. It cost me a days labour to jack it up and get it on my trailer.
Learned something today. The old shaft coupling was never going to come off so cutting the shaft seemed reasonable but how? Learned they make a cut off wheel just for stainless steel. Took about three minutes with a 4.5 inch grinder :D

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Mr Pamlico wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:19 pm I’m looking forward to seeing the progress. I expect this to be a cool build. I would love to find something similar to this around my parts one day.
If you ever lose your mind and do something like this try to find one that has good bones. Some will have lots of good parts that you will need and some not so much. This boat has a Freeman access hatch in it. They are great hatches but are pretty spendy. Little things like that make a difference.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

jonnymac wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 am they make aluminum ones too and its amazing how much better the ones for the specific material work.

Yes sir using the right tool for the job is really important. I understand using a regular grinding disk on aluminium can be very bad. The pores fill with material and it expands with heat causing the disk to explode :help:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Well I have been trying to get things around home done before winter sets in and that has slowed boat work in a large part but still got a little done. Picture might not look like much but 2000 pounds of rusty green iron is now at the scrape yard. And I am guessing 500-800 pounds of wet and rotted wood will head to the dump tomorrow.
Bottom of picture shows two fuel tanks of around 150 gallons each that may or may not still be good. Next project is to pull and inspect them.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The stringers okay?

The gunwhale coaming looks like a 2x12? Are those all rotten or jist the one removed?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I have not really looked at the stringers yet. Either way the middle ones might need to be replaced to fit the new engine. I want to relocate the engine as far back as I can. This will drive the cabin arrangement. I am still in the tear down and clean stage.
The gunwales were molded glass as seen in the stern area. At some point they needed more room in the fish hold area so the gunwales were cut and a piece of 1/2 plywood was bonded to the outside skin. All they did to protect the plywood was to paint it. Forty years of weather has turned it to mush. Good part is mush is pretty easy to remove.
These are tunnel hulls made to work very shallow water. They float in less than two foot of water. Pretty handy in places with big tides as you can run them up on beaches and let them go dry with no worries. They roll a bunch and are wet running but have proven to be surprisingly good sea boats. I like the old work boat hulls. You do not need to baby them and a little boo-boo here and there just gives them character.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The first pic you posted is mia?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz