Orca 17 - Thickened Epoxy

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
spelleti2021
New Poster
New Poster

Orca 17 - Thickened Epoxy

Post by spelleti2021 »

I am building an Orca 17 and purchased the epoxy kit. It came with some Silica and some Wood Flour. I need to join some panels and the instructions call for using thickened epoxy. Does anyone know if the epoxy is thickened with Silica or Wood Flour or a combination?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Orca 17 - Thickened Epoxy

Post by fallguy1000 »

I always thought they were interchangeable, but if any show, wood flour may be nicer on wood.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

spelleti2021 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:40 pm I am building an Orca 17 and purchased the epoxy kit. It came with some Silica and some Wood Flour. I need to join some panels and the instructions call for using thickened epoxy. Does anyone know if the epoxy is thickened with Silica or Wood Flour or a combination?
I used wood flour for 95% of my build. The only occasions that I added silica to the epoxy/wood flour mix was for vertical fillets - to prevent sagging!

cape man

Post by cape man »

The wood flour is for gluing and the silica is for filling and fairing.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:18 am The wood flour is for gluing and the silica is for filling and fairing.
Do not use silica for final fairing my friend. It gobbles sandpaper. Prefairing before glass is okay...just to be clear. It is so hard; when you use it for prefairing, the plywoods or foams usually sand down dimensionally before you get it flat, so use care to apply it flat.

Lee or Barraman explains it best as I have not used much wood flour and only silica and balloons. But you need silica to stop fillets from sagging per him. Generally, I try to immediately tape over fillets to avoid sanding, sagging, and to gain primary bonding vs secondary.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

I assume that what he has is the blended filler sold with most epoxy kits here, not pure silica. It is a mix of phenolic microbaloons and silica, and purple in color. It is much harder to sand than Quick Fair, but is designed for filling weave, making your own fairing compound, and preventing sagging. I have used both and switched to spending the extra $ and use quick fair exclusively now for fairing because it sands much easier.
It is not as structural as wood flour, so not recommended for thickening epoxy for glue.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cape man is correct the kit contains wood fibers and blended filler, no silica. I looked it up.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

spelleti2021
New Poster
New Poster

Post by spelleti2021 »

It is purple blend as Cape Man suggested . Many thanks to all who provided advice