NV23 with a Transom Pod

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Amateur
New Poster
New Poster

NV23 with a Transom Pod

Post by Amateur »

I'm thinking of building the NV23 & I like the idea of the transom pod / bracket. I understand the plans don't come with a pod design so I'm wondering how you go about building or buying one so that it meets all of the design criteria.
Could one be made from ply, similar to the boat construction or is a metal or fiberglass one better? If I'm ordering one what things does the fabricator need to know? What about the transom of the boat, does it need to modified to take the load say from a central engine only pod or a full width swim platform type. How do I know where to mount the pod in relation to the waterline & how far back can I go with the motor. That's just a few questions I had.

Regards
David
Brisbane, Australia

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: NV23 with a Transom Pod

Post by TomW1 »

Hi David and welcome to the Forum. It is not recommended that you build your own bracket. There are bracket builders in Australia who can build you either a single motor version or a whole swim platform version depending on your budget. There are two US companies that ship world wide, Armstrong and Stainless Steel that ship world wide that you can check out there brackets and see what they build to get an idea of what you might need to get built.

Just found this Brisbane builder, go down about 5 posts https://www.australianfishing.com.au/fo ... od-design/ He also does gas tanks. The single motor price seem very reasonable.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Amateur
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Amateur »

Thanks Tom

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Brackets can be made to any dimension or configuration you'd like. They typical Armstrong like mine is 30" setback; depending on your engine it could go as low as 22-24", or less if you pocket the transom for powerhead clearance. I really like the full-width platform, use it for ingress/egress for diving or sandbar nearly every trip.

I figure an NV23 is about the same bottom as the DE25; the exact engine height you need may be a function of how you load it. The shorter boat may be a little more pitch sensitive to the weight on the transom...pick a light engine. It will also make it more of a handful to maneuver around docks. My bracket has the flotation pod, but it provides almost zero buoyancy as most of the volume is above water at rest.

I can provide whatever pictures & dimensions you'd like to see. My motor is mounted about as high as you can practically run. It was even higher when I bought it for shallow water access, but it would cavitate in turns.

My swim platform is about 17-1/2" above the chine, and the motor bracket sticks 5.5" above the platform. Engine is mounted on the middle of 5 holes with a 25" shaft.

The key parameter is the height of the propshaft centerline relative to the hull centerline extended. Somewhere I have a picture of a straight-edge clamped to my keel showing the engine position, but I can't find it now. Get your motor dimensions, sketch out the bracket you like and work up and over to the transom.

We used mine as a template for a friend making a bracket on a similar boat but with twins, so he could mount a little higher due to the position of the motors and the bottom deadrise.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Matt really good info. Could you perhaps give him the dimensions of just the pod itself. He can then decide if he needs your 30" length one or something shorter based on his motor. I think any motor over about 125HP will need the 30" length. He can then get it manufactured down in Australia.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Amateur
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Amateur »

Thanks for the info Matt ... that's given me a few things to think about.