Cleaning laminating rollers

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Cleaning laminating rollers

Post by jbo_c »

I’ve done a fair amount of fiberglassing, but never used a laminating roller. So I bought one with my last order from BBC.

But now I’m scared to use it. :) How do I make sure it doesn’t get loaded up with cured epoxy? If I’m going to be spending a couple of hours glassing, how often do I clean it? Every time I reach the “kick” time for a batch of epoxy? How do I clean it and reuse it quickly while making sure residue from the cleaning isn’t still there to contaminate my new batch of epoxy?

I’m sure I’m overthinking. I definitely have that capacity.

Jbo

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cleaning laminating rollers

Post by OneWayTraffic »

If you put it in a cool place, and use it with fresh epoxy, it shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise dipping it in a bucket of acetone in between uses works well too.

Even if a little gums up on it, a heat gun, propane torch and a wire brush works well to get old cured epoxy off. Do outside for the fumes.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I keep 2" of acetone in a Home Depot bucket with a lid; soak the laminating tools that are solvent proof in it. If you get a little resin cured on it; use a dental pick to clean each row. I prefer a bubble buster.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I only use a yellow plastic squeegee to wet out fabric or tape. For flat areas just pour a large amount and use the squeegee to spread it out. Pour out a little more for wet spots.

For tapes, I use a laminating bench. Cover it with plastic dropcloth material. Wet out the tape there, roll up and then apply to the hull. Helps save your back
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Definitely planning on the laminating bench for the tape. It saves backs and resin.

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Evan,

Are you saying you don’t use laminating rollers? Or just adding ideas for spreading?

Thanks.

Jbo

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

I use a squeegee to spread the epoxy around or a tight knit dense foam roller. I also use my gloved hand to move it around and smooth it out. After that I use the laminating roller (assume you're talking about the fin roller for getting air pockets out) to work out any air bubbles there might be. I clean mine with white vinegar most of the time or use acetone.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain