Bottom paint

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Bottom paint

Post by jbo_c »

Topic seems pretty well covered but . . .

While my boat will “live” on a trailer, it will spend a week or more at a time in the water. Guess I should specify 99.9% fresh water but possible a few days a year in salt.

Do I have to use a true bottom paint? Most posts that say a topside paint is acceptable for trailered boats specify if only in the water a few days at a time, not a week or more.

Is a graphite/epoxy enough bottom coverage or does it need to be painted over. Seems it would be enough since UV exposure on the bottom will surely be a non-issue.

Thanks.

Ibo

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Bottom paint

Post by fallguy1000 »

A few two part paints do not do well with immersion. Keeping a boat in the water in especially saltwater is different, but even fw has problems.

Consider vc17 if you want to get fancy. It reviews well and won't slow your boat down like most anti fouling.

I would not recommend Epifanes two part. I had a locker immersed and noticed some tiny blisters and was warned by a fellow builder to less than trust ot for performing well unter wasser.

And I can't get into the graphite and epoxy. I can't believe it doesn't chalk out on the trailer.

I am using Petit Vivid on my Skoota, but never would use it on a skiff.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

My OD 18 sits in the salt for up to a week at a time periodically. The bottom is epoxy and graphite to the waterline. 11 years later it still looks fine, except for some scratches on the bottom where I have run aground over the years. No chalking. It does live underneath a shelter when home on the trailer so gets very little sunlight.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

The bottom of my boat is International Perfection 2 pack polyurethane over graphie/epoxy. It has done a couple of 10 d sessions in salt water with no issues.

I remain unconvinced of the benefits of graphite/epoxy - but that’s another discussion!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo graphite and epoxy will do you fine. Bing it up to the water line and when you pull it keep it out of direct sun light like cape man. No need for $200 a gallon bottom paints.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Thanks all. Graphite/epoxy and inside storage was my plan. Just wanted some validation.

Jbo

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

All advice is 3" above dwl for bottom paints.

...discussion welcomed...I am going 3" up
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:10 pm All advice is 3" above dwl for bottom paints.

...discussion welcomed...I am going 3" up
Fallguy for keeping boats in the water that is correct. Even 4" would not be incorrect depending on the wave action at your marina. Call the harbormaster at your TX marina and ask what he recommends.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Following this model, when do I pull the tape? After the gel time while the epoxy is still green, I assume. Do I retape for each coat? Or just pull after the last coat? (Assuming I’m doing it wet on wet in one afternoon.)

Jbo

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you are doing it wet on wet, after the last coat. If not after the last coat of the day and re-tape for the follow on coats.

Tom